1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Study on H4 Visa

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by alkaroy, Feb 20, 2010.

1. alkaroy

alkaroy New IL'ite

Hi All,

The forum gave me some very useful information on pursuing higher studies in USA on H4 visa.
    I would request anyone to please clarify few of my doubts regarding the same.
    My husband is in Austin, Texas. I have H4 visa, but am in India as of now. I have a degree in B.E. and have been working in a top Indian IT firm for 3 years now.I am preparing for GMAT and will give the exam along with TOEFL sometime in July. McCombs School Of Business is the college that I am interested in. I will be eligible for in state tuition fees as per the McCombs website. My current company will give me around USD 5000 and 2 years of leave without pay.

1) Is it advisable to study MBA on H4 or F1 given that I will not be able to work on H4 but can claim in state tuition fee.
    2) Can I apply for any type of Scholarship on H4?
    3) I would like to study on visa through which I can have maximum benefit on the fees as I will not be earning at all and my husband will have to pay for the MBA.
    4) The in state tuition on the McCombs web site is $ 28500 pa. Please tell me if I can claim scholarship and reduce the total amount further.

PLEASE GUIDE!!! :drowning

Thanks,
    Alka

PLEASE GUIDE

2. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Alka,

Since you are in india, you have the advantage of applying for F1 visa. Try coming in with that visa that is the maximum advantage for you.
    if god forbid (* touchwood *) your visa does not go well , then claim in-state fee and come as H4.
    answering your questions ;
    1) Is it advisable to study MBA on H4 or F1 given that I will not be able to work on H4 but can claim in state tuition fee.
    F1 is good for you. with F1 you can work on campus and literally have your complete tuition fee waived off (depending on univ)

2) Can I apply for any type of Scholarship on H4?
    No you cannot apply for any kind of scholarship while on H4
    3) I would like to study on visa through which I can have maximum benefit on the fees as I will not be earning at all and my husband will have to pay for the MBA.
    F1
    4) The in state tuition on the McCombs web site is $ 28500 pa. Please tell me if I can claim scholarship and reduce the total amount further.
    No you cannot (as far as I know , may be others can provide more info)

3. alkaroy

alkaroy New IL'ite

Thanks Ranchu, that was useful!

Alka

4. dew09

dew09 New IL'ite

Hi Alka
    I am wishing to pursue MBA
    So i guess by now u have joined cud u suggest on which visa u have joined H4/F1
    Please let know n it will be very helpful to me
    Thanks

5. nehagarg2822

nehagarg2822 Junior IL'ite

Hello Everyone,

I know that one doesn't need to change the visa status to F1 while taking a degree. I am also planning to do something on H4 as the fees is very less as compared to the non-resident students.

How do you got a job after completion of your degree when you were on H4.
    To what status do you change and how do you get it changed?

I am curious to know as i get a call from many consultants but as soon as they come to know that i am on H4, they do not respond.

Your help in the above matter would be highly appreciated.Please help as soon as you can because the last date to apply for spring season is very near and i do not want to miss out this chance.

Thanks,
    Neha

6. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

You need an H-1 to work after completing your degree. To get H-1 you need to get a job which will sponsor your visa.