1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Studio aprtments in NYC?

Discussion in 'Indians in Long Island' started by neha1, Aug 31, 2009.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

We are giving up are 1bhk and looking for studio apartments in queens.
    anyone,has ideas how to decorate one knowing that there will not be a bedroom?and any tips while huntin for studios?
    i know lot of my husband's married frens living in NYC in studios but i've never visited their home
    we are really not able to afford the 1bhk cost in this city! :hide:so ,decided to move into a studio since we do not have kid yet and are just 2 of us

2. priyapraveendvs

priyapraveendvs Bronze IL'ite

hi dear,

i stay in ny too... but recetnly we shifted to new apartment its rent is 1275 with 2 months free.. why dont you try this...apartment and you find lot of indians here, telugu tamilians and hindi pujabi, and all kanada too.. maharastrians..nearly 2\30 to 40 families are here..and very near by grocery stored too....

3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

thanks for info.
    but,the 1bhk in which i am itself is like $1600 without utilitilies...
    wondering if u r in NYC or NY state?

4. sillygurl

sillygurl Senior IL'ite

One of my fren was staying in studio apt and did a fantastic job of decorating that. I am not sure what kinda info were you looking in terms of decorating.

She had a pretty big studio where the open-kitchen and a walk in closet / toilet comes on either sides and towards the end was the rectangle shaped room .

Her layout was similar to the one in this link - http://www.capealbeon.com/Images/assisted-living-studio-apartment.gif

She got nice wooden bar stools with carvings for dining and used the kitchen counter as dining area.And she divided the rectangular room to living and dining space . Living area she had a nice sofa bed facing the bedroom area.Also, had couple of foldable leather chairs for living space.For partition she used a beautiful hand painted room seperator [from an antique store] and a similar height entertainment center and stocked the entertainment center with cute snaps and show pieces apart from the electronic gadgets.The other side of the room was used as bedroom.Across the bed, towards the window was the pc/laptop area as well as a small pooja table.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks a ton and for the pic too:).
    It gave me a lot of ideas. We have just moved into a Studio because a 1bhk was working very expensive here in new York City. I shall also look for room dividers. ITs a good idea.

Thanks again.

Neha S

6. sillygurl

sillygurl Senior IL'ite

Glad to be of help sweetie:)

While looking for RD's , go for a sturdy wooden one - if it's affordable. You can find cheap one's for around 40 bucks or so though it's kinda dangerous(i feel) since you sleep on other side of the room.

Also, If you have crystal wind chimes(different colors ) you can hang it in the corner of kitchen/just above dining area (looks great).She also had a rectangle foldable long table, which she bought out when she ever she hosted parties or pooja's and stuff.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Neha:
    there are stores for NYC apt furniture. You might look at Murphy beds as a bedding option then you have more floor space during the day. For dining you can get a cart type arrangement that has some folding chairs and a table but since you are from an Asian culture, why don't you get a big coffee table and do cushions or footstools/hassocks for when you entertain. You can also get tall cabinets for storing all sorts of stuff. I personally think that open spaces give light minds so that is why I am mentioning these.

The Bedder Way Co. Murphy Beds and Wall Beds
    Wilding Wall Beds - Buy Murphy Beds Direct and Save Hundreds - Toll Free 866 877-7803.
    Build a murphy bed with the Create-A-Bed mechanism

Shop online and look for good prices.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

hi tashidelek,
    thanks for the links
    ive book marked them to check out.:)

9. swapnam

swapnam Senior IL'ite

hi nivedtha,
    this is swapna

10. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Hi Neha,
    Please look into Parker Towers in Forest Hills Queens. When I inquired about a year ago, for a one bedroom, the rate was about 1200 something with heat and hot water included. I believe they had studios as well.

You can buy divders in Home Depot and Lowes and break up the area. Best!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010