1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck...

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by peartree, Jul 27, 2012.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi Everyone

I am not sure if this is even the right thread to post this in, but I can't really find any forum to classify this into! So if the moderators feels this is more suitable in a different section, please feel free to move it.

I have been married for 6 yrs now and have a 23 month old. I have no major problems in my marriage, we are a normal couple. I have no issues with my in-laws/parents, they get along just fine among themselves and I get alone pretty fine with them. I am employed and earning pretty comfortably, not financially very dependent on my husband. Even then, I feel something amiss. I can't exactly point out what it is, but I feel I have reached a point in my life where I feel like I am stuck in 1 place!! It is the same routine everyday, go to work...come back home... watch TV... cook food... clean kitchen... bathe kid... play with her... put her to sleep... back to work next morning... weekends, meet friends, go to park... you know the drill.

Added to this is my situation at work, I find it so stagnant, it seems like everyone else on my team is loving what they are doing and I am the only one that is so terribly bored!!! I almost wonder if they are doing extra projects and stuff that I am not privy to, but that's not the case. At meetings and such, they all give their status updates like they're doing something really exciting like rock-climbing while I am just rambling on :-(

In short, I can't really say anything is terribly wrong with my life, but I still feel like there is something missing in my life!!!

I read up on mid-life crisis and it seems pretty much like that, but my co-worker says I am too young to be going through midlife crisis now. (I am 3 decades old :)) Has/is anyone else gone/going through the same emotions? If yes, how are you dealing or how did you deal with it?

I know this is not really a question, but just wondering if anyone has faced this kind of situations in your lives!

sindmani likes this.

2. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    It happens to all of us , don't worry.
    Life is like that, boring one minute and exciting the next.
    Learn to appreciate that all is well and things are fine. Many would love to be in your situation.
    Plan an outing, get a makeover or take up a hobby and you will get back the zing in your life.
    If you are really bored of your work then maybe you can thing of a change .
    Probably you will look back at this period as the best in your life later on.
    Touch wood!

sindmani, freddycat and silverlight like this.
  3. makeuplover

makeuplover Silver IL'ite

Hey I was in the same situation a year back but then I started paying more attention towards myself and that added more colors to my life. I started reading beauty and makeup blogs, fashion blogs, started adopting a style in makeup and apparels. try out new things, started practising music early morning and set a target that next year I will do a short music concert of bhajans or light music somewhere. Now I always feel happy. Always it happens to women that we do things for others but we don't do things for ourselves. My colleagues wonder why I apply neon shades nail polish, why do eye makeup isn't it a waste of time and money? But what I feel is that I do it for my satisfaction and I don't mind spending money or time for that. Live your life for yourself not for others. I am also of your age and when I see newly married girls complaining about not having time for anything and they tease me for paying attention towards what I wear and how I do makeup for office, I just laugh it off saying let me live my life. I know after 2-3 yrs they also will arrive at this stage. I too have a baby of 18 months and I am married for the past 4 yrs:)

sindmani, kjos, crazywriter and 3 others like this.
  4. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

I would go one step ahead and say that you are stuck in a rut. Daily routine can get boring after a point, and we all necessarily need to break the monotony. Go for a holiday, plan a few days and go somewhere you have never been. I know that a lot of things will come in the way, your leaves, your DH's leaves, your LO. If we keep lookign for a good time, there will always be roadblocks.

Book the tickets, and just go. Simply go. If you can, take a trip with you and your DH. That will give you both some private time as well.

Join some class; take up dancing, pottery, yoga, salsa, candle making, anything. going to a class and meeting new people will broaden your perspective. the exposure is good.

If you feel you need a change of job, do that. Maybe you have done all that you can in your current job, and the lack of challenges are bothering you.

Above all, dont feel bad, we all go through this at some point or other in our life, it has got nothing to do with age. :)

Take care, and make the change :thumbsup

sindmani likes this.
  5. miscellaneous

miscellaneous Silver IL'ite

Perhaps a new hobby or something exciting beyond work and family...

1 person likes this.
  6. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I guess most of us would have gone through this phase at some time. After following the same routine for years, monotony does set in. Lack of excitement and motivation at work place also adds to the boredom. There is nothing much we can do to tide over this feeling except getting involved in other activities, find a new hobby, join a club, pick up a sport, etc. You can also try heading a new initiative at your workplace, switch to a new role. My husband has been in the same organisation for 6 years but switched laterally to different departments 3 times. This helps to keep the motivation levels high and there is always something to look forward to.

I was in a similar situation some time back - needed some excitement, a fresh start . Kids were busy in school and hubby was busy with his work. Just for a change, I decided to join office again. Since my husband is on a transferable job and we do switch cities often, I was interested in only temp jobs. I was lucky to get a short term assignment with a UN organisation. It was simply amazing - got to experience a completely different work environment.

In a nutshell, dont think over it too much. Try and bring about some change in your routine.

love,
    kylie

7. aashuabhi

aashuabhi Gold IL'ite

Hi PearTree,

Yes it happens. I also feel the same though i don't have kid but life is like some tape which plays same song everyday.

To break this monopoly i have started going to violin classes. Just to inform i don't know even M of Music and my routine is gets bit hectic due to this additional venture but i enjoy the one hour i spend in music classes and feel so fresh and energetic for whole week.

You can also try to start something which you might have longed for but could not spare time till now.

sindmani likes this.
  8. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

How about trying to be a part of some non-profit organization. I started feeling the same and became part of non-profit organization. I felt so good. It was an absolutely great and different feeling. It did make me feel that my life has a meaning.

sindmani, kjos and kylie like this.
  9. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

u have some time then try something new. My suggestions:
    1. Start volunteering at senior center or women's shelter. You can google addresses.
    2. With your friends start a girls night out. It may be movie or just going to 1 friends house and chit chatting.
    3. Start a new hobby class, join a gym.
    4. Go on a cruise.

sindmani likes this.
  10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi All

Thanks for all your replies! Yes, I understand I need to pursue a hobby and start doing something else other than my normal stuff!

I have decided to join a gym and also register a Michaels for cake decorating classes! As for my job, I guess it's not really in my control. The only thing I can do is apply and try to change my job :-(

sindmani likes this.