Struggle To Order Organic Spices???

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Archanaanchan, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Do you all also struggle to order organic spices (especially the ones that have lead risk) here in USA? Especially at reasonable prices... where do you source your spices from ??? With pandemic can’t go to India either

Editing to add: not just the spices but all sorts of myriad Indian groceries at good quality.

2. Archanaanchan

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I order spices almost exclusively from Penzey's and Spice House. I've also shopped occasionally at Kalustyan. My local organic store has Frontier Co Op spices.Top quality and excellent customer service. These are not certified organic but they come from reliable sources and are free of adulteration.
    If you get on Penzey's mailing list they are always giving away coupons and freebies.
    I don't know about Indian groceries online.

Archanaanchan and Laks09 like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The turmeric, pepper, cloves, elaichi and tamarind that my parents and family grew themselves and packed for me, all got over one after the other. I miss the small memories associated with each of the things that came from my parents or uncles homes. I’m so emotional over my empty dabbas. I just got the last pack of pappadam from the freezer today. I don’t know where to go for that good Kerala pappadam that my son loves.

Kirkland brand of spices are well sourced and I got some as replacements. Malabar pepper, turmeric, powdered spices are all ok.

I also get spices from Whole Foods. I wish I got more whole spices. It’s mostly in powdered form. They are well sourced though and smell good. Garam masala is really good.

I did get some 24 mantra organic spice powders from the Indian store. They seemed ok.

I haven’t found good tamarind. The one from home has a flavor that can’t be matched by various Thai brands I’ve tried.

Pappadam is giving me major grief.I haven’t ever found a good Kerala variety.

Archanaanchan and MalStrom like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Agree about tamarind. I always ask parents and close relatives to bring tamarind with them and I have been managing like that for several years now.

Laks09 and Archanaanchan like this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

We get Organic Turmeric powder and Himalayan salt from Costco.
    We also get Organic Chickpeas, Toor dal, Urad dal from Costco, but most of the time’s it’s out of stock.

Sambhar powders, Bisibele/vangibath powders etc are usually homemade from India.

Other spices/powders, we buy Deep brand, although it’s not organic the quality seems to be good.

I somehow was not satisfied with 24 mantra rice flour especially for making akki rottis so usually prefer Deep /Super brand.

We also like Lakshmi brand’s besan and Sujatha's multigrain flour.

Also there is an Indian spice store in my city who makes various Masala powders, sometimes we get it from them.

You can also check Distacart. There is a wide range of Indian products including grocery, Ayurvedic medicines, sweets etc
    We wanted some Ayurvedic products so got it through them. The service was prompt and quick( It was before Covid).

Laks09, Amica and Archanaanchan like this.
  7. Archanaanchan

Thanks @MalStrom :) We dont have access to any of these in the town I am! I should figure out what next?!

Laks09 likes this.
  8. Archanaanchan

There is absolutely no substitute to what gets grown and delivered from back home. I know the excitement!! I also feel like you when the stock is almost getting over !! I have tried the natural grocers and whole foods. But I would be happy to shop from a one stop place where I have access to everything :) Sounds good right?

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Archanaanchan

Good to hear shravs:) I dont have access to even organic stuffs at the only indian store I have. I got to only look out amazon if I want one. How are the rates on Distacart? Quite reliable?

Laks09 likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

All are online.

Laks09 likes this.