1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stressed homemakers spank kids most ???

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by hrastro, Nov 2, 2012.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I know that TOI surveys are like timepass, but how many agree with this statement in their survey :
    "Stressed home makers spank kids most"

Stay-at-home mothers hit their kids most often: Survey - Times Of India

Stressed homemakers spank kids most - The Times of India

8 out of 10 mothers spank their kids ??? If we include even a single "slap on the arm" as spanking, then maybe its true!!!

These surveys make statements but what about the solution?? Please suggest what you do when your stress levels increase?

This statement really hit me -
    "Indrani Sudarshan, academic head of Ebenezer International School, was stunned when an eight-year-old child told her, "I'm a loser. Whatever I do, I cannot make my mother happy."

because I have an 8 year old son, who lives in his world of books and has to be reminded of every single thing - even to brush and bath !!! He loves to read and will always be with a book and I've to shake him out of it for every little thing!!!

There are several things I love and appreciate about him, his emotional understanding, care, concern, memory, grasping some topics, intelligence, the way he looks up to me and supports me etc... but he is SO VERY Careless about his work and his stuff !!!

I have NEVER EVER hit him, never even shown him a "slapping hand", even in irritation or jest!!! I believe in good communication and have always talked with him calmly about everything!! Even when he was a baby and toddler :)

But I DO nag him !!! Non-stop :-(
    Do this, do that, did you brush properly, did you flush the toilet, did you pack your bag for tomorrow, you havent done this right, cant you do the simplest stuff right, you remember to do play stuff, but never remember about study - etc etc etc.... !!! Sometimes he looks at me like "mom, I'm not that careless" :)

Is there any way to make them more efficient???

So my questions are :

1) Do you agree with these surveys? Are so many mothers hitting their kids ???
    2) What do you do when your stress increases due to the kids not doing their work efficiently ?? How do you react to the stress, and how do you control this stress ??
    3) Is there any "good" way to make them more efficient???

Keep smiling :)
    HR

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

2. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

It could be true. Homemakers are too stressed...

Working mothers on the other hand feel guilty about not spending time with their kids and are hence more lenient.

What about the notion that spare the rod and spoil the child? Perhaps in India, people still believe in this.

What The 8 year old boy said really impacted me. We need to be more generous with praise and less critical of our kids.

4 people like this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Well.!! The article said that homemakers are also frustrated that they have left their careers and focussed on homefront... so they take out their frustration on their kids !!!

This I definitely dont accept... but would like to know your inputs too !!!

4. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

I do not think it is true. I was a SAHM earlier and now am a working mom, and I find that there are different things to be stressed about in both cases.

When you are a SAHM, you sometimes tend to think about having "sacrificed" career etc. but are happy about all the time that you get to spend with your kid(s). Some may also be stressed on account of not having their own network and friends and having to see only family all day. This just *might* stress some out over a period if they do not get much outside interaction.

When you are working mom, you are stressed about deadlines at work, having to juggle work, home and kid without compromising too much on any one thing, guilt about having to leave child at daycare etc.

Please note that not all SAHMs and WMs would be stressed about the factors I mentioned above. It also largely depends on one's temperament, priorities and threshold levels.

Perhaps the sample in this particular survey ended up with more cases of SAHMs spanking kids. I have seen many strict WMs who spank their kids too.

7 people like this.
  5. vidyamenon

vidyamenon New IL'ite

even i dont agree, only thing is that homemakers get more time to do things for kids and spend time with them,naturally they get more spanks
    on the other hand office goers r so stressed out that they even if they wish to give a slap when the kid is naughty,the energy level is toooooooooo low to do even that!
    mothers -working or not working
    the feelings r the same!

1 person likes this.
  6. cedantseq

cedantseq New IL'ite

kids are spanked, if they are troublesome and their parents are already stressed out. it happens. but kids are also spanked to give good sense, as some of them can be truly troublesome

7. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

I agree partially to that ,hrastro!There are moms who get stressed so much and tell the kid" I have left my career and everything for you and can't you do this atleast" and some people go to an extent of saying "offfff my life is screwed after you are born".On the other hand there are SAH mom's(who were working earlier) handle things very nicely with a dedication at home front.They believe that leaving the job is not sacrifice but their duty towards the kids.Have seen both cases .I think it depends on individual.

Again spanking/beating kids also depends on individual.There are working mothers who feel guilty about not being at home and spend a quality lovable time with their kids.On the other hand there are WMs who beat the kid for everything since they believe that is the only way to discipline the kids and they would also be relaxed(no need to run around with the kid or hear anything from them).

2 people like this.
  8. emerald44

emerald44 Bronze IL'ite

I certainly do not have any exp with kids, let me get mine out safely first :bonk but when i hear many of my friends tell me ... "hey u donno these days kids are OMG!!! so so smart" what strikes me is the evolution theory that you can never produce anything better than urself, an analytical mind is not goaded with emotions i suppose.

comming to the topic, spare the rod and it is definite you would spoil the child, a lil spanking on the calf muscle in the leg does not harm, it only teaches the child a lil discipline. I would not want to name one good teacher of a school in blr who was a neighbor too who spanked her kids at home while she presented herself as an epitome of kindness at school all aghast and against mothers who did not spend time with children, working mothers other than teachers and mothers who did occasionally spank the child, not to mention the fact that her children studied in famous school in the city and not where she herself taught so i guess it is just that a survey u can certainly forget abt ...

also a child is not the same at home n at school

1 person likes this.
  9. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

There were no solutions given for the stress and the spankings ... just a survey ... so how about discussing some ideas on what can be done to reduce mother's stress and child's spankings :)

10. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

What is your definition of spank?

As a wkng mum, I did not have the energy or interest to discipline my kids. But now that I'm staying home, like u I nag at them a lot. When the two of them fight or do something really wrong, I punish them by making them going to the naughty corner. Sometimes when we tell them many times to do something and they don't, it gets too irritating. Just a light tap on the shoulder..is it considered spanking? For serious things like not holding my hands when crossing the roads, I beat lightly on the hands as this concerns their safety.

I agree with the article because home makers spend too much time with the kids, the likelihood of spanking may be more. I have been on both sides.

When I was a wkng mum, I used to indulge them with gifts. Now I'm at home, I don't buy much gifts but I am strict with them when it comes to behaviour and studies. But still they want me to stay home and do not want me to go to work.

Spanking your kids is wrong when u do it out of anger and frustration. It can really damage their self esteem. Kids need to be told what they did wrong and then punished like taking away tv rights or being sent tO bed early. Certain entitlements can be taken away from them.

At the same time, when they do well in something, they can be rewarded. For eg, if my gal gets all correct in spelling, I let her sleep in our bed. Just for this, she would strive to do well. Small things like this will suffice.

1 person likes this.