1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stress at work and extending working hours effecting child care - Need suggestion

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by abhigail, Jul 19, 2013.

1. abhigail

abhigail Silver IL'ite

Hi mom's,
    I have been a regular reader and have posted many time on and off in this forum.
    Today I needed some help from the experienced moms in this forum.
    I have a 20 months old DS, i am a working mother and I joined back work when DS was 8 months old.
    Till couple of months back, his activites were little less and also my work was decent.
    But past 2 - 3 months, work has increased too much and sometime I have to put in 12 hours and DS has become stuborn or I must say he has started understanding that he can throw tantrums when his needs are not met.
    This is effecting everything in the house, I have a babysitter who comes home while i m going to office. I do all the cooking .
    So cooking is effected, my DH and Me have kind of regular outbursts, my health is kind of taking a toll as he wakes up 2 - 3 time during the night and starts crying or making fusses.
    Work is also getting effected as I am tired in the morning and not able to give 100%.
    Most importantly, DS is not getting proper attention from me, as I am busy cooking in the morning and evening and I have meetings almost everyday between 8 - 10 pm.

My DH is asking me to quit the job as of now and take care of DS. I am in 2 minds, please suggest something or advice.

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

can u hire a cook for few mths or use moe of frozen stuff............many a working mothers use tricks like making onion tomamto masala for a week,chopping vegs for week,keeping atta ready for few days,cooking extra batch of rice ...........
    your child has enetered Terrible 2 's where throwing tantrumas is natural & it has nothing to do with your working.the best way is to distract him when he is about to throw tantruma,don't scrumble to his undue demands out of guilt or to buy some peace for the moment.

let him play in kitchen as you cook,give him little dough to play with or a carrot/potato to chop with plastic knife or bring his toys to kitchen.........

your son who is 20 mths old will join school within a year & for that time being you can hire maid to cook or get more take aways or eat more sandwich &instant stuff.once he is in school he will be more managable .i .personally don't think you should leave your job as little planning will bring more peace to your household.

20 mth old should now learn to sleep the whole night so why does he wake up,do you feed him in night or does he wets himself or does he sleep alone & hence is scared in night.there will be a cause & try to find out why he wakes up?

lastly a little me time goes a long way to bring peace in family life.try to find few hrs for yourself on weekends away from hubby & son......like going to parlour when kiddo has mid day sleeping or going for early morning walk on sundays...........or to just laze around without worrying about what to cook & what to clean.

2 people like this.
  3. abhigail

abhigail Silver IL'ite

Thanks so much for giving your suggestions Mahajanpragati, I know even I feel the same, quitting job now when he would strt going to school, I am not making my mind for it.
    Yes, I need to get more organised with my work and household chores as well.

About his sleeping pattern, I am not sure why he wakes up, some days if i give him milk in his sleep 2 times he will sleep without any issues. I co-sleep withhim. But somedays of he has not had his dinner properly and sometimes without any reasons, he will wake up start crying, wants me to hold him on my lap whole night. Those days are more often. So that is when we both me and DH are totally disturbed.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Abhigail, To each their own but I think its a little too late for you to think about quitting work, considering he will be going to pre-school in a year. Dont worry, he will settle down.

For sleep: I have gone through this phase just a few days back. Please go through the ENTIRE thread of this, and I am sure you will find something useful to get him to sleep through the night. http://www.indusladies.com/forums/toddlers/222556-18-month-old-waking-several.html
    BTW, my guess is that he is getting disturbed sleeping along side you. Do you think he will feel more comfortable sleeping alone? Something to think about.
    If he cannot sleep alone, your DH and you can take shifts of sleeping with him until he settles down. Half the night he can sleep with him and half the time you can sleep with him.

Managing work: You have a few options, see if these will help.
    1. Get DH to help you prepare weekday meals
    2. Cook something simple for the entire week over the weekend and store in freezer. simple things like sambar/dal/curry etc.
    3. Getting a cook or hiring someone to cook for the entire week on any given day. Which means, she will come one day and cook and store for the rest of the week.

work pressure:
    1. Talk to your manager and explain that you are going through a difficult phase at work and if you can excused and if you can leave on time.
    2. See if you can move to a slightly less demanding role within the company

I know its hard. hugs to you. I am a full time working mom too and I know how guilty you must be feeling.

3 people like this.
  5. abhigail

abhigail Silver IL'ite

Thanks Rakhii for your updates. Feeling better that I have some good company to guide me. I hate to quit. I am going through your tread u mentioned.
    Trying to plan my day properly these days. Lets see how it will workout

6. abhigail

abhigail Silver IL'ite

Hi Rakhii, was going thru ur thread, yes it has helped me to check the situation. I never considered molars teething, and he getting disturbed with me co-sleeping with him.
    Let me try to analyse that and plan the sleep patterns for him. I know nothing in mothers hands (kids are the boss). But i'll try to make it better for him

2 people like this.
  7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

You will get there...dont worry. Hugs to you.

8. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Abigail: I know quitting a job can be tough. Can you reduce your work timings or go for Partime programs? I definitely feel your LO is missing you so much and yes you need delegate cooking to someone or buy frozen food and spend time wiht your LO.

Your LO is going thru a lot at this phase.. Trust me turning Two will make things little more worse and then it starts getting better.. I ahve been there.. But yes you need to consider alternatives to your job.. I will first look for other jobs before even deciding on quitting...

2 people like this.