1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Strangers Lifting Baby

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Sweety2016, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

My toddler girl is 15 mo..I leave her in the office creche within my university campus but it is around a km from my seating place. I go during lunchtimes and today I saw two guys carrying her and walking at a distance from the creche. The ladies were sitting inside the creche. I know these guys by face as they are students in the campus but we have not even exchanged pleasantries. As soon as they saw me they took her to the caretakers and gave her to them and walked off..

I really felt unpleasant and showed my displeasure in a calm way to the care takers. Earlier also I have instructed them not to give my baby to these students as they come directly from lab and also they throw her in the air while playing and chances of getting infection is high..This time those ladies told that my girl was crying so they gave her and also these students lift the other child ( 2yrs) in the creche as well. I really struggled hard to retain my composure and told I dont know about others but with my baby dont repeat it again firmly.

Parents, do you also feel this much.Have you ever been in such situations? .I am just not able to digest it and she being a girl child am always cautious & suspicious..or am I over reacting. Please give me suggestions to talk firmly to the caretakers. I am afraid that they may harm the baby and there is no cctv camera..

2. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

If I were in your situation, I would have reacted even badly. What you did is correct. Raise this to the people who manage it/escalate and make sure they dont handover your baby to anyone else just like that. I'm not even concerned about the students coming from lab etc, I'm more concerned that they are strangers and we are reading/listening so many stories around regarding child abuse. Please do not trust anyone apart from close family.

Escalate this to creche management. The Creche we send our kids to , we made sure there's no guys coming in. Even the van pick up driver, we asked the management to take care of kids and not to leave kids with him alone. Due to that they send a lady care taker along in Van too.

3. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

What you did is very apt for the situation, if I am in your situation I wouldnt be even nicer like you. No matter what (even the baby is extremely cranky) they are not supposed to handover to random stranger like that period. Hearing all the stories going around, I wont even trust leaving with family other than me, my Dh and grand parents. I would recommend taking it to the authority who is managing the creche and firmly convey your concerns.

4. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

This is totally unacceptable, I wouldn't leave my kid there until this issue is resolved.. the kid should NEVER be out and never with anyone who isn't working there... don't take this lightly, resolve this issue if not find another crèche or home nanny..

5. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Your concerns are absolutely valid...this incident sure questions the level of safety and security followed in the crèche..
    After hearing about so many cases of abuse of toddlers, both boys and girls, one needs to take utmost care while leaving baby in the hands of any others apart from immediate family members..
    If the baby cries or is cranky it's the job of caretakers to manage the toddler..it's not acceptable to hand over any of the babies left in their care to anyone else..or even let the child out of crèche premises for any reason..
    Ideally any parent in this situation should keep in touch with parents of other kids left in crèche and inform them about this lapse so they also are cautious..
    Also should make a strong complaint to the crèche authorities so they take strict action.

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  6. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

What you did is correct. Even I don't like anyone taking my DD. There should be lots of different and games and toys in the creche . If the baby is crying, she should be deviated with some other toy rather than letting the strangers to take the baby and walk around! .

As we are reading the stories everyday in newspapers , Even the Creche people should be very careful when they are dealing with Kids.

September2015 and Sandycandy like this.
  7. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I agree with you. It is the duty and responsibility of the care givers to take care of the baby. They should not allow any others even to lift the baby. Also taking the baby outside the daycare should not be allowed.

We read lot of abuse/neglect stories everyday. So file a complaint and take it serious if they don't listen to your concerns.

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

A big NO ! This is not acceptable at all. You should make a big fuss , so this is not repeated . Drop in at the daycare at odd hours when they don't expect you, so you know that they are following your instructions. Ideally, I would find a different daycare but I assume this is convenient .

9. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, Remove your daughter from that daycare immediately. They are unreliable and not to mention very careless. How can they handover your daughter to some stranger becoz they cudnt console her. Part of the reason you leave with them is they have to calm her down come what may not handover to somebody else to calm her. Its good that you dropped in on an impromptu visit. Complain to higher authorities and take your daughter out. Look for a daycare where they have cctv installed and you can peek at your daughter anytime from work too.Good Luck.

10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

U have did a right thing. My mom was like u.she was cautious about me as a kid. So please tell the creche care takers to be very careful not to give any child to others to take to another place. Now a days we know the world is not very good. DONT WORRY

Sunburst likes this.