1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Story of a killer nine yard sari!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jun 26, 2008.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Story of a killer nine yard sari!

It was a Friday. Sowndarya got up early in the morning. She will never skip a Friday without taking oil bath. She would also give oil bath to her three daughters. She lighted the mud oven ( vennir aduppu)with fire wood at the bath room which was at the back yard. She put the brass handi ( Vennir thavalai) on top of the oven and filled it with water drawing from the well in the open air.
    She went to the kitchen and prepared coffee for all. Her husband who was an army officer had come on holiday. He was posted in field area at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Kashmir</st1:place> for three years where they were not allowed to keep their family. Hence Sowndarya was staying with her bachelor younger brother at Kancheepuram who was an officer at a nationalized bank.
    Sowndaryar’s parents were at <st1:City><st1:place>Madras</st1:place></st1:City> as her younger sister was working there.
    She had three daughters and two sons and the age difference between them was just one year and nine months. The eldest daughter was eleven year old. Sowndarya went to take bath after serving coffee to all. She had already applied oil on her long dense hair. She went to the bath room to take bath and found the water too hot. She took out some hot water and poured it in to a bucket. Then she went to the well and drew water and filled the hot water vessel. Again she went to get some more water from the well to mix with the hot water in the bucket. Her sari caught fire and she did not notice it. Only when she went in the open air the fire shot up in flames. She got panicked and tried to remove her sari, but kept running in side the house. She was wearing madisar and the knot was so tight that she could not open it. Her hands were burned and she came and stood in the court yard like a towering inferno. Her husband who saw her did not even recognize her as there some more ladies of the house owner also were staying there. He instantly brought a rug and covered it with that and rolled her on the ground. By this time the fire God had played havoc. Though she was wearing a cotton sari only, it had burnt and got stuck up on her body.
    The children started crying. Sowndarya’s brother called for an ambulance and took her to the Government hospital and got her admitted.and he also informed his parents. There at Madras Sowndarya’s sister suddenly was not feeling well.. Her mother also was telling that she had some burning sensation in her stomach for the past three days. Yet when she heard the news, at once she left to attend to her daughter. Perhaps these were the signs of warning for the calamity that was to happen.
    Sowndarya’s mother had told her husband to take care of the other two daughters and that she would send message if there was any thing serious. But here both sisters could not rest in peace and they urged their father to go and see the sister. They all left for Kancheepuram and at about <st1:time Hour="18" Minute="0">6 p.m.</st1:time> they reached the hospital and as they entered the emergency ward they could only see the ventilator and other life saving gadgets being removed. A life bubbling with energy was lost due the knot of the madisar pudavai.
    Perhaps it was God’s will, but how can be so cruel to act like this, making innocent children motherless?
    This happened long time back and many years had rolled by. The children suffered a lot, but now they are all in good position by the Grace of God. This is a true life story. Sowndarya was my beloved elder sister.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear Pushpavalli,
    OMG..I can't believe this..Even to read this as a real-life incident was scary..To know that the victim was your sister..it is sending chills down my spine.
    It must have been extremely difficult for you all to cope with this loss.. God be with you!

Regards
    USHA

Daddysgirl likes this.
  3. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Pushpavalli,

It was really shocking to read your narration. Your revelation that this is a true incident at the end was a bolt from the blue! I can't imagine the trauma you all would have undergone. You would have had to have a lot of strength to cope with the loss. For all it is worth(as it is too late), please accept my condolences. And it is nice to know your nephews and nieces are in good positions now.

Regards,
    Anitha

4. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pushpavalli,

Just read your shocking narration.The last revealation that it was your own elder sister who was the victim of this horrendous incident left me just speechless/ wordless.We are left only with those questions which have no answers .Why such an innocent life has to be lost and why those little children have to be motherless?
    Very relieved and happy to know that all your neices and nephews have done well and come up in life.Nevertheless the agony and trauma of coming to terms with this must have been of such a high magnitude.Please accept my heartfelt condolences for the loss of your dear sister.

warm regards
    PAULINA:wave

5. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

dear pushpa ma'm,

it was really shocking news to read your post.......glad to know they are all in good position now.

the same thing happened in one of my family members.

எப்பவும் போல((தூக்கம் கலையாத நிலையில் )காலையில் காபி போட எழுந்த என் தூரத்து உறவினர் ஒருத்தி, காஸ் மூட்ட வந்த போது ,புடவையில் தீப்பற்றி கொண்டது& அவள் கணவர் சபரி மலைக்கு மாலை போட்டிருந்தார். உடனே அவள் கணவர் ஆஸ்பிடல் அழைத்து கொண்டு போகியும் & அந்த அதிர்ச்சியில் அவளோட உயிர் பிரிந்தது...ரெண்டு பெண் குழந்தைகளும் அப்பாவின் அரவணைப்பில் வளர்கின்றது.....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Pushpamam

To know that it was a true incident and it happened to your elder sister is shocking. I know it should be still hurting. my heartfelt condolences.

happy to know that all your nieces and nephews have done well and come up in life.

7. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Pushpavalli ma'am,
    Its really sad to know that it was a true incident that it happened to your sister.I felt too sad to read about it, because in my in law's side, my hubby's chithi went through the same trauma, but by gods grace, she has survived with 40 % burns. But thinking about it even today still makes me shiver.
    My heartfelt condolences.But as said, if god deprives you of one thing, he shows way for another - its great to know that your sister's kids have settled well.

8. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Pushpavalli ma'am,

That was really sad to listen. I didn't expect that it was an real incident. But unable to believe that it has happened really to your sister. Very sorry!

9. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Pushpavalli

It was really shocking to know it was a true incident and that too to your sister.

It must have been very traumatic for all. Glad to know the children are doing well in

life.

10. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear Pushpa Mam,
    I felt so sad after reading this incident.
    Great to know that your sister's children have settled well.

regards,