1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Story Behind Tamil Proverbs Post Five- Oru Naalum Podada Punyawatiye Pottappo, Dinam Podara Kadangar

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Satlak, Aug 1, 2017.

Have you heard this story?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I liked it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

For more story behind proverbs click the following links

Ullakkai indarum
    Ullakkai Indarum! Story Behind This Tamil Phrase

Mamiyare mai ettukongo
    http://indusladies.com/community/threads/old-forgotten-tamil-proverb-mamiyare-mai-ettukongo.303620/#post-399495

Anju maatu ponn kadhai
    Story Behind Tamil Proverbs- Anju Maatuponn Kadhai

At the outset let me say that I may not be very accurate with the words used in the proverb. But this is one of my favourites from my childhood and felt that this needs to be shared." Oru naalum podada punyawatiye pottappo, Dinam podara kadangari unakku ennadi aachu?"
    This was also another proverb I have heard my mom quote. The story behind it is:
    A beggar goes to a village to beg for alms everyday. A kind woman gives him food everyday while her neighbour never entertains him. It so happens that one day, the kind lady does not have any food to offer as she had not cooked when the beggar turned up at her door. But on that day when he had gone begging at her miserly neighbour's house, to his utter surprise, she had offered him food for the first time in his life! The beggar was feeling very grateful to her. But on that very day, when this woman who offered him food unfailingly each day, for many years , said that she did not have any, he was furious with her and said, "Oru naalum podada punyawatiye pottappo, Dinam podara kadangari unakku ennadi aachu?" This roughly translates as "when the blessed woman who never gives alms gave, what happened to you kadangari (which is a slang word which means financially indebted), who were giving alms everyday?"
    This is used on occasions when you find that that you have been taken so much for granted that not only do people no more feel any gratitude towards you, they can get furious with you for not obliging them with what by now they have come to think of as right instead of a favour bestowed on them. While simultaneously, we sometimes see such people praising and expressing gratitude to unhelpful people who may have condescendingly done them some small favour or help.
    The moral is to not to let anyone take you for granted and to make you aware of the consequences when you do so.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    SCSusila, sindmani, jskls and 4 others like this.

2. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

Please see more proverb at
    Brahmanatham saptu ellu patraiyai thee vei innanam
    Story Behind Tamil Proverbs -post 4. Brahmartam Saptu Ella Patrai Thee Vei.

3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha ha. Good moral and great story

4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Nice and informative