1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Storing tips

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by madhu_cute, Apr 16, 2005.

1. rohini

rohini New IL'ite

Storing green chillies

On discarding green chili stems, you can also store them in a air-tight container in the fridge for longer storage.

2. poojitha

poojitha New IL'ite

Storing chapatti dough

You can knead chapatti dough in huge quantities and store it for long to use whenever required for fast cooking.

Place the chapatti dough in a clean plastic sachet/cover and store in a refrigerator. Those of you in the US, wrap them with plastic cling wraps. It will remain fresh/moist for long.

3. Rosie

Rosie New IL'ite

Houehold Tips

Hi Friends,
    I joined this forum today. It is very interesting. About cleaning and storing tips. Few days back I came acoss an indian site with lots of hosehold tips and much more stuff. The tips seemed to be very useful. U can also check the site at http://www.indif.com/

Hey sonu, your tip of storing green chillies looks promising. I am going to follow it.

Thanx

Rosie

4. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

• Green chillies also last longer when their stems are removed and stored in the fridge in paper bags.
    • Here i get big bunches of curry leaves. we cant buy small amounts like in india. As soon as i get curry leaves from the market, i destalk them, spread them on a news paper and leave them indoors for a few hours so that any wet content in them evaporates. Once they r dry, i store them in air tight container and put it in the fridge, In this way i have noticed they stay fresh longer and do not rot soon.

5. Malini S

Malini S New IL'ite

storing dried red chillies

Hi friends
    I would like to know how to store whole dried red chillies.

Malini

6. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

To store flours

Hi All IL,
    In India also we have small small bugs problem to store flours outside.
    In India also i used to do this & here also same
    My Mther-In-Law told me this Idea.
    I am storing Gramflour(besan), upma sooji, Maida, Riceflour, Cornflour,
    Idli Rava, Dhaniya,jeera powder, Cashenuts in Fridge to kep them away from small small bugs & all.
    In fridge clean the veg box , dry it & spread one dry paper..store thats it.
    once u open the pack, tightly close it with clip.& again use it.
    No Need to keep them in freezer.

we can store it for long time
    I used to store some spice powders also
    Sambar powder,curry leaf powder, Kaarpodi, And all
    Actually freshely we can prepare these at home
    but i got these from India . So for long time like 1 yr i used to store like this.

Here we won't get Indian grocery . In Keene, Newhampshire, USA. wehave to go minimum 45 miles away from this place.
    So I am completely depended on Fridge & freezer.
    Hope this will helps u to store

Bye :wave
    Thanku IL for this opportunity.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  7. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

To store Dried red chillies

Hi Malini.
    Here It is
    we can store redchillies for 1 yr
    Only thing is Remove stems, Dry in Sunlight for two days..& keep them in a dried Airtight container or plastic cover..But don't keep in Steel container.

Mean while for every 3 to 4 months again keep them in sunlight for 1 day.

But Don't use after 1 yr..it will become colorless..&its not good for health also.
    My Mother warns me about this
    And red chilli powder also don't use after 1 yr.
    Generally we get dry red chillies in march or April . from that time use
    only 1 yr.

Thanku Bye

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  8. Malini S

Malini S New IL'ite

Hi sunikris:wave

I will do just that. All along, I was storing the chillies in steel containers.

Thanx
    Malini:)

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    I always buy toor dal, tamarind and round red chillies during the Jan. Feb. months and use for a year.
    Toor dal- This is essential for the Tamilians to make sambhar rasam etc. on daily basis.
    Spread on newspaper sheets on the terrace and sun dry well. Then, clean well and then store in plastic containers. I store now in Tupperware boxes. Sometimes, I dry them again after around 6 months. I have been doing this for the past 20 years and it stands good. But remove smaller quantities for daily usage. Always take out with dry containers or hands only.
    Red chillies- Cut the stem to half, do not remove stem completely or else the seeds would come out. Then sun dry well for a day and then store in a large plastic bag kept in air tight plastic containers.
    Tamarind- clean it well of pith, thread, seed etc and break to smaller pieces with fingers. Then spread on news paper and sun dry for 2 days. When dry, let it cool a bit before storing in containers. Put a layer of tamarind and press with hands and then again fill. This way, it will stay better. If you want to retain the colour of tamarind, refrigerate it. Even in India we get a/c tamarind. As for dal, keep in smaller container for daily use. When needed, take out the required amount, put in a small katori with a little water and keep on the cooker lid while it is on the stove. The tamarind will become soft by the time the cooker is switched off. Then it will be easier to squeeze it and extract juice.
    For podi varieties- While storing in container, put a layer of the podi, press tight with a flat ladle and then put another layer. Store like it tightly packed and the small insects would not be there. This is my mother's tip.

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Great tips!

Hello all,

Sorry I am including all of you under my one response, saving time you see:))

Great thread this, storing tips. Each and everyone of us need to store one or the other thing...or all the necessary things and any amount of tips on this can be very welcome. Thanks all, a very useful thread indeed.

L, Kamla