1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Storing grains and cereals

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by timmycoffee, May 17, 2014.

1. timmycoffee

timmycoffee New IL'ite

Hi

I like to know how can I store the following without getting any worms or weevils in them.

1. Sooji/ Rawa - I store it outside in air tight containers and only a 250 gm packet is broken..i still see worms in just 2 days
    2. Rice - I store it outside in air tight containers and only ao 1 kilo packet is broken. Havent seen anything yet but want to be careful. i usually finish a 1 Kg in 1 week.
    3. Coriander seeds - I store it outside in air tight containers and a only a 250 gm packet. Havent seen anything yet but want to be careful. i usually finish it in 3 weeks.
    4. Chapati Atta - I store it outside in air tight containers and only a 250 gm packet only ao 1 kilo packet is broken. Havent seen anything yet but want to be careful. i usually finish a 1 Kg in 3 weeks.

I dont like the idea of pre frying it or storing in the refrigerator. Appreciate any other solutions to keep the worms and weevils away. I stay in a warm climate of 35-40 degrees celsius.

Hope to hear your advice

TIMC

2. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

HI Timmy,

You can roast rava, coriander store it , roasting prevents from worms. Chapathi atta doesnt get spoiled so easily but to be precautious add a spoon of salt to it and store well in air tight container.

3. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi Timmy,
    I add a couple of bay leaves in my suji or dry spices.