1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stories and morals :)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by bhagyachinu, Dec 4, 2010.

1. bhagyachinu

bhagyachinu Gold IL'ite

One day my husband was telling a story to my son. All of you must be knowing that story.

This crow steals a vada from an old woman. He sits on a branch with vada on his beak, ready to eat. A fox comes and tells the crow how good its voice is and requests it to sing. The crow, dizzy with flattery opens its mouth to sing and the vada falls down, which the fox takes and run away. And my husband asked my son, “son, what is the moral of the story?”. My son promptly said, “don’t sing when you have a vada in your mouth”.

I burst out laughing (was listening to it from the kitchen). My husband seriously continued, “You must never steal what is others’, else somebody else will take it away from you”. My son, when my husband started on the moral part, disappeared from the scene and headed to the kitchen where I was cooking. He asked me, “amma, what is the moral of the story?” (obviously, he likes my ‘morals’). I told him, “you are right son, if you get something you like to eat, first eat it and then do whatever else you want to do”. My husband mumbled, “you are going to spoil the kid”.

Sad, no one taught me this moral when I was a kid and I had to learn it the ‘crow’ way. When I was a kid, like all kids, I used to store what I like best for last. I used to go to school in a car with five other kids. There were two sisters in that, one senior to me and another one junior. On our way to school one day, a couple of other kids who were passing by threw gooseberries inside our car. All of us love gooseberries. I got only one. I was taking teeny bites enjoying it. By the time this younger sister ate hers and snatched mine and started eating. (I was a very shy and scared kid. Honest! :D). I started crying (was in the 2nd standard) and looked at her older sister. She told me “why did you not eat it fast, then she wouldn’t have taken it from you?”. What logic! I kept quiet but resolved that day that when I get what I want, I will devour it before I lose it.

Many a times we get so scared about the next moment, that we forget to enjoy what is present. Or we get distracted with something else, we miss out to enjoy what we have (got after so much effort).

There is also another point of view to this. Actually, mostly, when we finally get what we desired so much, we might be disappointed. May be that is why I read somewhere, “dreams, once they become reality, are no longer dreams”. I guess the journey is more fun than destination. That is why all love stories ‘end’ with marriage :D The quest, the adventure, the enjoyment we get when we strive to get something is better than actually getting it. Rumi said, “many prayers are destructive which God, in his kindness, ignores”. True!

So, I have my dreams. And my realities. I am just very happy thinking about my dreams, acting on it sometimes. But I don’t want them to become reality. Once they are fulfilled, I’ll have to look for other dreams to keep me going. Then I have my realities. I am very happy about them also. I might crib about my life, crib “why me” many a times, but the fact is that I enjoy my cribbing also. All of us are perfect as we are…

Talking about getting what you desire, I must give you this story. This is from Aesop Fables:

An old labourer, bent double with age and toil, was gathering sticks in a forest. At last he grew so tired and hopeless that he threw down the bundle of sticks, and cried out: ‘I cannot bear this life any longer. Ah, I wish Death would only come and take me!’
    As he spoke, Death, a grisly skeleton, appeared and said to him: ‘What wouldst thou, Mortal? I heard thee call me.’
    ‘Please, sir,’ replied the woodcutter, ‘would you kindly help me to lift this faggot of sticks on to my shoulder?’
    We would often be sorry if our wishes were gratified.

See, I have given two stories with morals, not bad, isn’t it?. By the way, my moral for the above story is, “never try to fulfill somebody else’s desires, or you will end up carrying their burden”. J

2. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

lovely stories and nice morals. enjoyed reading it.

it is true that when are dreams become true, we will be disappointed. thought provoking blog.

andal

3. bhagyachinu

bhagyachinu Gold IL'ite

thank you for your kind words

4. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Bhagya,
    These stories have been coming through generations and many a times it has taught us something in life. It is human folly that we try to do some help and it falls flat on our faces. Nice way to recollect these stories

5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

hi bhagya,

perfect description of what one dreams of and what happens when it turns to reality - one realizes that this is not after all what he/she craved for. fascinating stories, and what was more fascinating was your version of the morals. :biglaugh:biglaugh