1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stopping Breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Sam8, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Sam8

Sam8 New IL'ite

Hi, my baby is 18 months old and i want to stop breastfeeding now, but he is a very picky eater, and often wont eat a bit when we go out and relies on breastfeeding,
    Need some guideline

2. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Make it a slow process....first decrease the frequency of breastfeeding....then stop feeding in daytime....feed only if you go out or if really needed then stop it too....after that stop in night also....

3. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

wow!! you continued for 18 months? Is that normal? doesn't the teeth hurt us? My son will be nearly 6 months and i have started to give him solids.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You need to be very firm with the times he can nurse at. I let both of mine nurse early in the morning when they woke up, once before nap, once in the evening and once before bed time by the time they were that age. I did wean both from nursing in the night and using me as a human pacifier too. I continued to nurse for 28 months but made sure it doesn't interfere with meal times.
    While weaning, make it gradual. Night time weaning is the hardest, probably will be the last to go unless you are very persistent. Drop one feeding every 3/4 days and he won't notice it though. Just keep him distracted and give him other substitutes to fill him up. Btw, don't fret if his eating doesn't improve with weaning. Toddlers are generally picky eaters and they do get better around 24 months. At one point after I weaned my son, I regretted it because he was not eating at all. They still won't starve. They will get the nutrition they want.