1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

STOP labeling our children!!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by anika987, Jan 6, 2015.

1. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

@anika987 .. What a thought provoking thread. Yeah our kids are labelled for so many things. My daughter also started to do things little late. She started talking quite late. She started walking after she was 1 yr old. She has a lean frame. And as usual, everyone started giving unsolicited advices.. 'Check her hearing'..Maybe that is why she is late in talking. Maybe she has TB. Maybe she has primary complex. Maybe she is this.. she is that. Uh!
    Even here in the U.S, our Indian people cannot stop commenting . "Your daughter is sooooo short and thin for her age !!!!! Cut her hair(She has a long hair).. Probably all her nutrients are going to her hair .. and then they start advising on how and what all I should feed my daughter'. It is quite irritating. I politely tell them, she is fine. And do they stop ? Nope. They advice me to take her to the Doctor to check her for TB and what not ! I just ignore them and move away or change the topic.
    It is a part and parcel of being in a society I guess. We can't change them. We only have to change our approach towards them. No point getting disgusted. Just IGNORE them. I always think in my mind 'They are educated illiterates and ignorant' and pity them. That's it. Done !

4 people like this.
  2. Susmithavijay

Susmithavijay Bronze IL'ite

Dear ladies,
    while i agree my post yday was an impulsive one, i know what autism means as my co- sis son is autistic. He cannot walk on his own n will not interact with any one except his mom. I know its a neurological associated. I never said living in india makes u immune to autism. Okay but i agree that i didnt convey my intentions properly and this did give a misunderstanding of my opinions, my mistake.
    all i wanted to say is just like male children r more prone to autism than female ones, indian kids ( i meant to say kids of indian parents born anywhere) can be less prone. Ofcourse but y day i sounded like as if indian kids cannot be autistic. Thats a huge blunder from my side and i apologise for that.
    and coming to our toddlers in usa( i can only comment for the ones in usa because i live here) usually below 3-4 yrs if at all they have speech delays or some motor skills delays, usually when evaluated are mostly mis diagnosed as asd. While some cases can be genuine, mostly they r not. This happened to my friends son. He didnt talk upto 3.5 yrs. he used to line up cars, not interact with other kids and so on. He doesn't like to look in to ur eyes. Yeah these r all red flags and they diagnosed him as asd. But a year after he is a perfect normal child very talkative and enjoys playing with his buddies. I have seen the immense pain of their parents for almost that year.
    they simply said he was mis diagnosed. So may be this incident made me impulsive in my answers.
    all i wanted to tell was, though toddlers in usa r diagnosed as asd thats befor 3 yrs of age, it may not be accurate because our kids have a different kind of environment here especially the ones staying at home. here am talking about the ones who fall on that thin line of few delays in skills and the ones really having asd.
    Asd does have intensity from low to high. High end ones can be easily diagnosed but the ones falling on low spectrum, it's difficult to differentiate.
    They could just be late bloomers or really on low spectrum. Hence i was trying to explain the self eating and potty training things. My co- sis son couldnt eat on his own or doesnt know to tell if he has done potty upto 4 yrs because he was not taught to.
    while these r some significant things on the asd checklist added up to his speech issues n playing with car wheels, less eye contact, etc., his parents left to india immediately after this incident as they were in pure shock. But that helped him in lot ways to his speech and social interaction.
    Okay now i have sounded like taking kids to india will help in curing their asd in yday post. Again a huge mistake. I actually meant, kids with some delays but mistaken to be asd. Indian environment might help kids having speech delays or problems with social interaction and it did help many kids so far i have known.i mean surrounded with number of people makes kids encouraging to talk and interact.

now this is what i wanted to tell anika. Clearly in her post i could see she was not that convinced that her kid could be on asd but may be few delays in her abilities. So i wanted her double check and just not get too depressed.

yes i was not able to communicate my intentions properly yday and that was a huge mistake. When i realised how much false hope i would have given to any parent with my post i felt so stupid of myself.
    myapologies for everyone.

4 people like this.
  3. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Thanks so much @Susmithavijay for explaining your thoughts and also not feeling offensive about our friends words here. Keep sharing!

1 person likes this.