1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

STOP labeling our children!!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by anika987, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Susmithavijay

Susmithavijay Bronze IL'ite

Rakhi,
    please go thru my post carefully. I didnt tell that if kids r born in india. I said kids of indian origin meant by genetics r usually immune. And i didnt meant all 100%. The nature tendencies r different for kids in differentcountries. Thats because of the cultural variations we follow. India has large crowds anhence interaction happens quickly with ppl. That is the reason kids pick observing ppl. In usa esp our kids staying at home dont get get to mingle with ppl so hence the delays. This is what i have meant. Kids going to day cares may be exceptional. Again i didnt menanything is wrong with USA kids. Plz dont put words in my mouth which i didnt tell. My intention is to tell our kids r usually when evaluated as one of those spectrum, may not always really be the one. My speech therapist in her 20 yrs of experience said like out of 30 cases of kids in which indian kids git evaluated as asd over the time 23 kids r proved to be wrongly evaluated. This is what i want to tell anika. I dont want her to depressed bcoz it may not entirely correct that her kid is in asd. And if u see the last mentions of my post. I clearly felt proud of having asd kids, even if it really happens to be asd Please i suggest u to go again. Yes i have sought some astrological advice fir my son speech issues. But only after going to my paed and seeking help from my speech therapist. Its not like am chanting mantras without taking practical help. My faith in astrology doesnt concern u. I am ready to get any kind of help for my son and thats my duty. and even if my son is really autistic amproud ti have one. Because i knew he is really special. Please dont judge ppl so quickly rakhi . U dont know me n likewise. So try to correct our misunderstanding in a amicable way.

2. Susmithavijay

Swetha sri, plz go thru my post above.
    Thanks.

3. Susmithavijay

I want to elaborate my post. Apart from genetics stuff, as anika said if a child doesnt achieve a mile stone at tht particularage doesnt mean there is really something wrong. Kids in USA(origin) are taught to eat by themselves and potty trained. But in general indian moms esp stay at home ( i am one sahm) run around kids to feed and constantly check diapers. Do all things even before a word comes from their mouth. There s nothing wrong in it.Not judging any Stay at home vs working mom. But if u compare this kid with one going to day care, who can eat by themselves n sometimes potty trained too, which usually r the standards considered for asd evaluation; now is the kid at home under asd? No its just tht he didnt yet start doing those things because he is not exposed. This is just an example am giving. This is wht i exactly meant. But usually usa(origin) kids though staying at home or day care they r exposed to eating by themselves n potty trained. Because of these cultural differences, the asd evaluation cannot justify the purpose for our kids. Hope u get my point. This is what happens for most of the kids around here as far as i have known. It really doesnt mean it applies for all the kids though. And there is nothing wrong in taking early intervention even if ur kid is in asd or not. Its for ur kids well being.

1 person likes this.
  4. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Dear @Susmithavijay, please dont be uspet im sure Rakhii didnt mean to uspet you but put it right that there is no ethnicity which is more or less prone to get such things like autism. Im touched how much you care about your son and can literally feel how much you love him and you are right, the frequency of interaction - talking to a child - does make a difference. I deliverd my dd in europe and I try my very best to interact as much as possible with ppl which is not always too easy. In one of our baby-groups is a european mother whom was concernd about her sons speech delays, we)/I tried to calm her but her speech therapist says her clearly that a major problem with her son is simply that he is raised in a non-commicative surrounding, she agreed she speaks less her hubby stayes mum, chats arround with neigbours etc. are not as often as back home... Boy makes huge progress now in therapy and she talks more :) So you are right with making aware of this difference as we need to balance this lack of communication. But please dont say that it may have a genetic aspect based on ethnical group.
    All the best for your son, and thanks @Anika987 for this interesting thread

I have one other question. Im in a baby-group with my dd whom is 8 months, there is another baby girl, very cute and pritty she loves to play with my dd and tries to make contact to her, but she cant, she cant look in anyones eyes or look/keep her head in the middle, keeps mouth open most time, face expression is bit different, it seems she has delay problems and other more, i like her mother and we had a little walk together. If we feel that a child has some problem is it really alright to ask or is it insulting? I didnt ask as I felt its bad manners but i would somehow like to ask her as i dont want to make it an taboo as this too seems weird. So ladies what you think we should act like if a child has some problems? ignoring or talking about it like its normal as it actually is normal because everyone is unique and perfect in her/his own ways?

(please dont misunderstand I like the baby girl a lot and she is very jolly happy child with cute face and nature, my dd too likes her a lot, I know she has problems for sure as the pool attendant who is teaching us how to play with babies in water gave her suggestions for improving the ways she keeps her head)

4 people like this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@susmithavijay - Even scientitists haven't found a link between Indian genes and autism. So what you are saying is just misinformation. Autism is a neurological issue. Kids with autism cannot communicate, period. No matter the environment. If being in India made them immune to autism then my son wouldn't have had it because he was born in India and lived there during his toddler years. Autism is more than having people around to "interact". And your Speech Therapist is WRONG. Autism doesn't go away. Kids with therapy learn to talk but they still stay on the far end of the spectrum. High functioning kids still have social, emotional, behavioural issues. Just because they talk, doesn't mean they are no longer on the spectrum.
    Btw, autism and speech delays are interrelated but that does not mean all speech delayed kids are on the spectrum or vice versa. I now know good talkers who have ASD and late talkers who are just that.
    And again, we aren't jumping in line to label our kids. But I'd like for the Indian population in general to have a more educated view towards special needs. Why is autism such a bad word? It's just like any other issue among a million issues human beings have.

I did tell Anika that parents who say their kids are on the spectrum are really not "cool" with it as soon as she started this thread. We go through grief and we hurt every single day. We also blame ourselves constantly. We also go through a lot of internal searching and come up with nothing we didn't do.
    Not accepting a diagnosis or not seeing a problem is what is the biggest detrimental factor for a child. The sooner parents seek help, the better for the kids. Seeking help doesn't mean doing something. It means doing the right kind of therapies.

Sorry, what you said and then reiterated makes no sense.

5 people like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Bravo, Laks! You have stated it perfectly.

3 people like this.
  7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@Susmithavijay, I am sorry but even after your reiteration, I am unable to see your line of reasoning. I am unable to understand how potty training/ self feeding etc are coming into picture. Potty training a 2 year old is one thing and a kid of 7 years unable to control (neurological issues) is altogether another. 2-3 year old self feeding is one thing and then having to run behind an 8 year old to get him to eat is another. Delay in communication is one thing and then unable to communicate even a few words at a certain age is another. None of these have any bearing about the ethnicity.
    I am sorry that you were told that 23 out of 30 Indian kids are misdiagnosed. I don't know about US but where I am from, that ratio is far far far less. Of course there are misdiagnosed cases but not 23 out of 30.
    Environment while may play some role in helping the kid with autism, it's NOT why the kids get it. It's neurological.

When determining if a child falls under a spectrum or not, a lot of things are taken into account, not just communication (though it's one of the factors). I am all for healthy debates and I apologize if my post came across an Judgmental . But you are generalizing waaaay too much.

2 people like this.
  8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@RedRuby, if I were you, I would refrain from saying anything until I am 100% sure of an issue. For all we know, she may already been getting help. Hang in there, when you know the very well, then perhaps you may venture into saying something (after making sure they aren't doing anything about it). For now, my suggestion is to keep quite.

2 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hah, the denial, the hope, the desperation, until reality really sinks...

@redruby, i would not say anything until i am sure. exactly because of the above sentence..

10. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Susmitha dear, potty training and comminication is not the only concern for autism evaluation, there are so much more to consider during the evaluation. the questionnaire book has more than 100 questions that relates to whole lot of things. I agree with your social part but that will not lead to Autism. Please try to educate yourselves so that you will have a better understanding of your child.

4 people like this.