1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stop and smell the flowers on the path

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by MeenLoch, Dec 12, 2007.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Throughout our life we make numerous friends and acquaintances, some we continue to be in touch with, because of match in wavelengths and some because we need some work done from them or sometimes because it's sheer love or admiration for that person. Nothing new about what I have said.

As days pass by each person gets busy with his/her own life. Sometimes they are caught in rat race and hardly left with any time to talk or to sit and silently think about all this.

Worse yet we fail to meet someone's expectations. Some of our best friends could have been in need of a person to share things with or just an emotional or moral support. We are not available. We are so absorbed with our own lives that as time passes by so much would have happened in our their life, that we would have become a stranger now. As years pass by we are no more a friend to whom our loved ones can share things with.

Nobody is to be blamed given the hefty competition, peer pressure and once we start families it gets only tougher to manage and make time for our loved ones.

We definitely come across a phase when we feel aloof and abandoned. We do feel down sometimes. And at that time parents may have become too old to worry, siblings may or may not be free to share things with and as for friends, it's been so long that you even spoke to him/her, forget talking to them about this. We only feel more and more aloof, a self created seclusion and denial. Man is a social animal and he needs to express his feelings good and bad to be healthy always, but in this world, as days pass by there is no one to share the sorrows and joys except our own selves. These days internet and media is always there to shrink distances between geographically separated loved ones, but it's not the medium that's the problem. The issue is time, comfort level and willingness to share both good and bad.

Why not make a time during weekend to reinforce our bonds with people whom we love, like and care for. In this bunch if you have old grandparents, their happiness will have no bounds when they hear your voice. As for friends, they sure will be delighted and will reconnoiter the lovely moments you two shared. Nostalgia is beautiful in it's own way. If not a call, a mail will also do, preventing people to think that this person has grown too selfish and self-absorbed that he/she doesn't call. Not too many loved ones realize that he/she is so busy.

" Water water everywhere but no water to drink". I think it applies to people around us too. In most cases, especially with women it happens less, we do call people and stay in touch, but I also know some women who have been consumed by life that there is no time to breathe and this matter takes a backseat.

2. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hey meena

you are so right
    people these days
    are too busy
    if it is possible
    they will say
    i hardly have time
    please can i borrow some from you..!

i make it a point
    to call relatives
    especially old
    atleast once a month
    and in case i miss
    the date and call next
    they will worry
    are you ok...thought you were ill
    or i would have received a prompt hello...!
    love knows no bounds...
    it is so easy to please
    by just calling up to say hello...!

sathya

3. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Meena,

I feel guilty after reading your blog... I am someone who is a born procrastinator when it comes to communicating... I always tell myself...tomorrow... And tomorrow never comes! I'd love to be in touch with all... but I never get round to actually doing that!

As for your quote ( I am sorry ) it is not Shakespeare's... It is from Coleridge's Ancient Mariner... Please don't think I am slighting you... Just for info...

4. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Sathya,
    IF we can imagine how one feels on the other end to speak to us after a logn time or how he/she feels someone CARES, we ll make it a point to do more.
    IT s really nice you stay in touch.

5. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Dear twinsmom,
    Edited that in my post. Thanks for correcting me.

You need not feel guilty, but in your to-do list, maybe a weekend you make a round of calls and catch up. I am sure in the end it ll be worth the time :).