1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Stitching alterations please

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by sleela, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    It is so nice to share ideas about stitching, after a long time. I am very much in making my own dresses. I used to stitch my own blouses, different neck each time. In the early 80s', no tailor stitched such fashinable blouses. I used to have blouses with a big window at the back and different type of front necks and sleeves.
    Then in churidar also, I used to do many new designs. Most of the designs are available now, but even then I design some different ones for myself. And I find that such designs stand ot.
    Now, I have uploaded a picture of how a armhole should be cut. It is usually 3/4 th of an inch difference between the front and back of a sleeve at armhole.
    If you get Jaya TV in your area, pleae watch Iniya Illam on Mondays at 11 am. The first segment is stitching. Mrs.sai priya gives good instructions. Do not miss out.
    Ask if there is any doubt.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Zeenth

Zeenth New IL'ite

Hi Varloo,

Thanks sooooo much for ur response....the attched picture for cutting armhole & sleeve is very very useful.....am i troubling u now then? if u don't mind can u edit in the same picture the exact point from where the 3/4 of an inch shd be marked?

Thanks

Zee

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

zeenth,
    you are not troubling me. You can take the 3/4 inch from the centre of the diagonal line.

4. Zeenth

Zeenth New IL'ite

Hi Varloo,

sorry for the delay......shall mark & cut as told in ur thread......thanks for the info abt ' Iniya Illam '...... today watched at 11am but don't know how many segments i have missed.....any mail id to contact her......if u know pl tell me

Thanks

Zee

5. prasheilaprabhu

prasheilaprabhu New IL'ite

hi,

the info on arm cutting is fantastic. the picture is good too.

please tell me, how to cut the neck, with diffent designs and also how to stich them. when ever i have tries, it comes too big.

when stiching a blouse, the armpit area becomes loose, and lower area is tight.

if any one knows the right way to cut and stitch a blouse, please give me the information, for i don't get properly stiched blouses in delhi.
    thank you.
    prasheila

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Prasheila,
    please do give me some time to organise the needed and I shall post them. Also I thank al of you, you liked my suggestions.
    I am an expert in mending and altering such garments. So I can share what I did with you all.

7. prasheilaprabhu

prasheilaprabhu New IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

tks. shall wait.
    it would be nice to learn to stitch.
    maybe i should visit u when i come to madras. that way i can get all my doubts cleared.

prasheila

8. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Re: Thanks Sunkan

Dear Sundari Madam

Sorry for the delayed reply. I totally forgot about my query here.
    Thanks for the clear guidelines. The lining material, I got is a non shrinking type(Polyvoile) with cotton silk outer material.
    I will try it next week and let you know the results, once i finish.
    Thanks again.

Cheers:wave
    Vijee

9. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Re: Thanks Sunitha

Dear Sunitha

I forgot about my query in this section. Sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks you for the reply. It was nice that you had a crash course on stiching. I have no knowledge at all. But out of necessity, I bought a sewing machine for altering etc and now interested in serious stitching.
    Will let you know the results, once I finish the piece.

Cheers:wave
    Vijee

10. shobabu

shobabu New IL'ite

Hi,
    can anyone please suggest a good tailor for saree blouses and churidhars in Bangalore and who will deliver within a week.
    Also looking for a tailor who has good designs for gowns/western outfits and stitches them well
    thanks in advance
    cheers
    shobha