1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Stir Fried Vegetables With Barley..or Should I Say Vegetable Barley..

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Shanvy, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

View attachment 162190 As I mentioned earlier, I have renal issues, and there are days I start retaining water, and barley comes to the rescue.. I know it sounds gross, but did you know barley has more medicinal effects than being a diuretic.. I have a friend who says “I know all the benefits of barley, that is why I am a great fan of the fermented variety” you know the beer..:rant

But did you know, barley can be nicknamed nutritional powerhouse for all the goodness.:thumbsup

A good source of fiber both soluble and insoluble. Soluble helps in reducing blood cholesterol and thereby reducing the risk of heart attack. And also slows the absorption of sugar and reducing diabetes. While the insoluble fiber helps in avoiding constipation.

Vitamins and minerals are also great..Niacin, thiamine, selenium, iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorous and copper.

Barley contains the much popularized anti-oxidants needed to work on the free radicals..and helping in cell health.

They also contain phyto-chemicals or plant-based chemicals which could decrease heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

Wow, is all I can say about all the goodness, when I think about this nutty, grainy and chewy texture of barely.:cheers

So this Sunday, I wanted to keep drinking barley water, and I used the regular barley that is available.
    when I saw the amount of barley that was in the cooker after removing the water, I was wondering if I should eat it with rasam or curd..but then I was making fried rice for the kids as I got to pick up all the 3 colors of capsicum earlier, and idea struck why not just use the same veggies and see how it turns out with barley.

Barley is a little hard to cook rather it is time consuming. If it is just water, you can powder the barley and add a spoon to a ltr of water, allow it boil and have..But I am comfortable the traditional way..

Cooking Barley :
    I cook ¼ th cup barley with 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker for around 10 whistles.. remove the water, even run a little more drinking water and strain it..and add to the removed cooked broth..
    View attachment 162191

Coming to Fried Vegetable Barely:

½ cup cooked barley. (2 tablespoons of uncooked barley)
    4 sliced green chillies..(optional I like it a wee bit spicy as barley tends to fall flat as it gets cold)
    2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
    1 tsp of ginger julienned or chopped.
    1/2 yellow bell pepper – sliced
    1/2 red bell pepper sliced
    1 green bell pepper sliced
    1 carrot sliced.
    2 tablespoons of cabbage sliced/shredded (Red cabbage is optional)
    4 beans sliced.
    A bunch of spring onions nicely chopped. (whites and the greens separate)
    1 tsp of red chilli, soya sauces.(can add more if you like the taste)
    I sprayed sesame oil you can use sesame or olive oil as per your choice.
    Salt to taste
    View attachment 162192
    Method.:
    Spray the oil.. when the pan gets hot, add the white of spring onions, chillies, garlic and ginger, sauté well.
    Add the beans, carrot, cabbage and cook for a minute, add the peppers..and add both the red chilli and soya sauces and mix. Add a little salt to taste..(you can use ajinomoto if you like, but I avoid).
    When everything is mixed, add the strained barley, toss well and serve hot.

The broth can be had as lemon-barley, orange-barley, mint barley, and any other fresh flavours you can concoct according to your taste..in the picture is one with lemon and black salt…
    View attachment 162187

P.S.

A full cup of barley has just 100 calories but is full of goodness, dig in..
    Eat it hot, to enjoy the wholesome taste..
    You can mill your own roasted barley, or the regular barley and use it in baking, and making rotis..and I have used it in a muffin recipe earlier..

Amica likes this.

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi,

Wow, looking yummy..with all the goodness of barley. How can I not fall for it !! I am drooling. I will make it soon.
    Whenever I have made the barley water, I have always felt bad to throw away the cooked one. They certainly looked eatable...and what a way to eat...Fried Vegetable Barley !! Thanks for sharing it here.

3. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Hello shanthi, Yummy.....Looks so great, will try it for sure. As you said barley has large amount of goodness to health. Also we can saok barley overnight and grind it in the grinder along with dosa/idly batter (ie like rice and urud dhal) we can also add barley for making dosa and idly. It will be so good for health.

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanthi,

A fantastic recipe and you have beautifully described all its health benefits. I will definitely give it a shot. thanks for sharing :)

Akila

5. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanti, Very useful recipe. Last time when I had Ragi in home, you posted ragi recipe. Today I am going to get Barley and you have posted barley recipe. There is some kind of wireless connection we have, it seems... :) Lovely recipe. I will definitely try this. Thanks a lot for sharing such wonderful recipes...

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanti
    Yet another lovely recipe....

7. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Ever since I saw this I am dying to try this out. Will go and buy barely. I am trying to get barley in my diet and this seems a perfect tasty dish to start with.

Lots of love.

Shiva

8. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear shan
    Elated to give the first feedback for this wonderful recipe.:bowdown
    I usually try new things during weekends and today it was stir fried vegs with barley.It was awesome.:thumbsup
    It's a sure keeper.2 in 1.. had barley water with pepper and salt and veg barley for breakfast.I tweaked it to make it more indian..instead of sauces just used pepper and added ginger liberally to make it spicy.This recipe has made my day.
    A big thanks to you.

regards
    sowmya

9. suganth

suganth Senior IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,
    liked and loved your veg barley as i was looking for low calorie recipe. Looks yummy.
    Thanks for sharing.

10. kalaipriya

kalaipriya Platinum IL'ite

Lovely receipe mam....