sticky sponge cake-please give write quantites

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sidrasmom, May 2, 2010.

1. sidrasmom

sidrasmom New IL'ite

Hi

I tried making sponge cake,the simple one
    But it did not come out expected.It was sticky and did not puff.in the oven it raised but after taking out it just sinked.
    these were my quantities

1 Cup sifted cake flour
    • 1 tsp Baking powder
    • 3 Eggs, separated
    • 1/4 Cup water
    • 1 Cup sugar, divided
    • 2 Egg whites
    • 1/4 tsp Salt
    • 2 tsp Vanilla

please give me the correct amounts and suggest the write reciepe for sponge cake

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Dear Sidrasmom,

there's something wrong with the ingredients... that's my assumption. is this a fatless sponge cake? you've not mentioned the method. please check Chitvish's cake collections. she's given sponge cake recipe.

Latha

3. huzaima_shazia

huzaima_shazia New IL'ite

hello sidrasmom

here are the ingredients i used.. the cake i baked turned out to be very tasty

125gm sifted flour (maida)
    125gm powdered sugar
    150 gm butter
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    3 eggs
    a pinch of salt

-sieve maida, BP,BS and salt together.
    -beat the eggs and vanilla essence together using a blender
    -beat the butter and add the powdered sugar to it

mix everything and blend well. grease the tray and bake..

4. gayathrib83

gayathrib83 New IL'ite

Hi!

The recipe mentioned was a pound cake recipe. Sponge cake recipe has little ingredients modified. Also, there is a difference in mixing.

(I sell plain (pound) cakes, chocolate, sponge cakes, cookies, etc. in and around Nandambakkam.)

Here, is a recipe for 6-8 people. This recipe does not use baking powder. So, if you want to add less eggs, substitute with a little baking powder. The eggs help the cake to raise and make it spongy.

Sponge cake Recipe:
    8 eggs, separated to yolks and whites
    190g sugar
    95g sifted all purpose flour
    55g corn flour
    45g butter, melted
    1tsp vanilla extract (use less, if you want less flavor)

Method:

• Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius
    • mix egg yolks in a mixer, and mix them until creamy
    • Add 2tbsp sugar, and mix for few more mins. until the mixture becomes thick
    • Add vanilla extract and keep mixing, till the mix reaches its double volume.
    • In another vessel, take egg whites and beat them until white & frothy. (Make sure, you was the whisk well and use it, it is really important)
    • Slowly add remaining sugar in little quantities, it the mix, clings your whisk.
    • Then, add the egg yolk mixture, to the egg whites mixture and fold them with a spatula/wooden spoon. Do not overmix.
    • Then add flour and corn flour, by sifting in a sieve. mix them with a spatula/wooden spoon. Do not overmix.
    • Add melted butter and again mix, without overmixing.
    • Bake for 30 mins. (Check your cake to make sure it is cooked.)
    Hope you get a good cake. Let me know your comments.

Regards,
    Gayathri

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sidrasmom getting the perfect sponge cake needs practice. but a while ago i came across this recipe, tried out myself. its foolproof and the best i hv ever tasted.
    she also gives step by step photos, cake was moist, did rise well,and its my family fav

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
  6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

latha just like u wen i made sponge cake i wondered why the shortening was missing and i had to do a bit of googling before i used this recipe....this is an interesting read, indeed sponge cakes dont require shortening at all!

<SMALL>There are two types of raised cakes:</SMALL>
    <SMALL>1) FOAMCakes</SMALL>
    <SMALL>2) BUTTER or SHORTENEDCakes</SMALL>
    <SMALL>FOAMcakes have a high proportion of eggs to flour. They are leavened solely by the air beaten into whole eggs or egg whites. They contain very little, if any, fat and have a spongy texture. </SMALL>

<SMALL>The three categories of foam cakes are:</SMALL><SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>i) Those that contain no fat</SMALL>
    <SMALL>- Angel Food Cakes, Meringues, and Dacquoises.</SMALL>
    <SMALL>ii) Those where the only fat is from egg yolks</SMALL>
    <SMALL>- Sponge Cakes, some Biscuits, Roulades</SMALL>
    <SMALL>iii) Those that contain fat (butter, shortening) plus egg yolks.</SMALL>
    <SMALL>- Genoises and Chiffons</SMALL>
    <SMALL>BUTTER or SHORTENED cakes contain fat (butter, margarine, shortening) and rely on a chemical leavener (baking powder, baking soda) for their rise. They are flavorful, and have a good texture and volume. The American-style butter cake evolved from the English pound cake recipe of 1 pound of flour, 1 pound of sugar, 1 pound of butter, and 1 pound of eggs. The French called the pound cake "quatre-quarts" which translates to four-quarters, meaning 1/4 of the recipe is flour, 1/4 sugar, 1/4 butter and 1/4 eggs. The first pound cakes had no artificial leavener and volume was obtained through the mixing (aeration) of the batter. </SMALL>
    so sidrasmom i believe the problem is aeration, , and i feel the eggs used are way less!​

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
  7. sslr

sslr New IL'ite

Hi

I too experienced same sinking problem with cakes. Noone will give the measurements of baking tins. After 2,3 trials i came to know on myself that first try to do with one and half cup of all ingredients. Bcoz cake puffs so we need to give space for puffing also. I am still beginner in baking but i am sharing this with u bcoz i too faced same problems and now i am comfortable in cake baking. Some tin shapes also does not give perfect cake.I tried with teflon tins. So careful with size of Cake Tin, whole quantity of ingredients,Oven preheating and temparature settings and its time given for baking.