1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sterilizing feeding bottles....till when?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sri112, May 17, 2010.

1. sri112

sri112 Junior IL'ite

Hello moms,

DD has just turned one. This is the first time i am posting in the toddler forum! Wow time flies :)

Well, she has been bottle fed since she was 4 months. I have been sterilizing her bottles teats etc after every use. How long we need to continue doing this? All other bowls,spoons,cups etc used for giving her solids or juices are just washed and air dried.Should i continue sterilizing her bottles as long as she is bottle-fed or can i just was and use them?
    I do have a bottle sterilizer, but then it does get inconvenient while travelling to tug it along everywhere we go. I have a trip coming up at the end of this month.. hence this question.

Thanks in advance

-Sri

2. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

Happy Bday to Aparna......:)

Since she turned 1, you can give her sippy cups right.Why you are stick to the bottles still?Is there any specific reason?

According to me, it is better to feed babies in sippycups when they turn nine months or so...

I know I didn't answer your question:hide:.Lets see, what others are saying....

3. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

prana is right.. see if your LO is ready for sippycups... keep introducing to those now and then if she is not ready now.. transition is better when it happens early..

btw, as long as you are using bottles, you have to sterlise them.. though you can reduce the frequency of detailed cleaning and sterlising.. at this age, I used to sterlise once every morning and clean it after every use with the bottle cleansing liquid and brush and store them in a dry place.

4. sri112

sri112 Junior IL'ite

Thanks prana, arthi

I know its high time i switched over to sippy cups. I tried using a sippy but she dint seem to like it. I guess she was not able to manage the flow from the sippy. On the other had while giving her solids i give her water in a small tumbler and she actually likes to drink from that. Its a lot more messier though. So i thought it would be better if i make her used to the glass than the sipper. But that would take some time wouldn't it?
    Thats why i thought of continuing with the bottle till she's ready for her glass.
    I hope i am on the right track. Please advice.
    Sri

5. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

Initially it ll be like this.She would learn to drink from it soon.It ll take some time for them mastering in drinking from tumblers.If they drink from sippys, they would easily drink from tumbler too.

I stopped bottles for my DD at 11 months.Initially she didnt like it drinking from sippy cup.But I never gave up.I tried whenever possible.So now she is taking milk,water from sippy.She manages water from tumbler too.

Hope it ll help you atleast.

6. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi Sri,

Keep trying to shift to sippy cups or glass, whichever is convenient for you. Trying out different ones helps sometimes (the colorful ones with cartoon characters etc) . In the meantime, instead of carrying the sterilizer around, just pop the bottles in the fridge after washing them. This sterilizes the bottles.

Regards,