1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Leacock If You Want To Rofl

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Cheeniya, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I stumbled upon Stephen Leacock during my college days. As all the girls had gone off with their respective boy friends, I felt very lonely and bored. With agony writ all over my face, I went into the library. I picked up a few books and browsed through them. They all just succeeded in increasing my agony and I moved on. Then I stumbled upon Stephen Leacock. There were a few books of his kept in the dusty shelf. I picked one titled 'Literary Lapses'. I just glanced at the first story titled 'My Financial Career' and started roaring with laughter. (These days I don't roar at all because it results in a terrible coughing). I borrowed the book, went home and started reading it straightaway. They were a collection of delightful short stories. The story I liked most was The Awful Fate of Melpomenus Jones. I have touched upon these two stories in my Senile Rambling.
    The second book I picked was 'Nonsense Novels'
    There were ten 'novels' and I started reading the book from the story listed last. It was about The Man in Asbestos: An Allegory of the Future This was a classic.
    Stephen Leacock talks about himself:
    "THE author of this book offers it to the public without apology. The reviewers of his previous work of this character have presumed, on inductive grounds, that he must be a young man from the most westerly part of the Western States, to whom many things might be pardoned as due to the exuberant animal spirits of youth. They were good enough to express the thought that when the author grew up and became educated there might be hope for his intellect. This expectation is of no avail. All that education could do in this case has been tried and has failed. As a Professor of Political Economy in a great university, the author admits that he ought to know better. But he will feel amply repaid for his humiliation if there are any to whom this little book may bring some passing amusement in hours of idleness, or some brief respite when the sadness of the heart or the sufferings of the body forbid the perusal of worthier things."

Stephen Leacock's books are available free in the net free of cost!
    l

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya Sir,

You must be having a very sharp memory to recall what you read in your college days! Thanks for the reference, I shall try to catch up.

Did college romance exist in those days? Wow!

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@GeetaKashyap
    Geeta
    Thanks for the response. At my age, I can't ROFL and my size too won't like me doing it. I know you can and I assure you that you will do it. That's guaranteed if you read this book

GeetaKashyap likes this.