1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stem Project – 3rd Grader

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by VijayaRaghu, Oct 3, 2017.

1. VijayaRaghu

VijayaRaghu Silver IL'ite

Hello Friends,

Can you please guide me on picking STEM project for my daughter. She is in 3rd grade. This project needs to be well documented and present by her only. There are multiple stages in presentation. As always, can you please help me with some ideas. Then I will spread the options to my daughter to pick. As of now I am thinking about Space or Eclipse or some force or gravity projects. I don’t have any clue on how to present or what to prepare. Hope I will find some good ideas. Thanks!

Regards,
    Vijaya

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What makes things float or sink is an interesting project that readily comes to mind. Easy to make, demonstrate, and fun to do. You can try this with her. Even if this is not the final one she goes with, it will be a fun activity, and takes hardly any time, plus only uses play dough and any dish/vessel/box that can hold water.

Clay Boat Science - Playdough To Plato

Maybe try it yourself first as sometimes the play dough can be too oily, or too dried. Also, when she is trying it out, try to take some pictures and record short video clips. Nice memories plus useful if she decides to go with this project (can use for display board or project report). And, help her write down a few phrases or a sentence or two as you go through the exploration. What she thinks will happen, what actually happens. Problems faced, mistakes made, fix for them.

Don't worry about the "how to present", "multiple stages in presentation" and "well documented". If the child has fun doing the experiment, is receiving gentle guidance on how to think, a little channeling of curiosity, the rest will follow.

Only thing to keep in mind is that it should be manageable to carry to school, and school should have whatever is needed to display/demonstrate it. Better to avoid experiments that need mold to grow or sun to shine for solar energy generation.

Also, there are many websites where you can search by grade level, such as this one: Third Grade Project Ideas

And, the child's science textbook will also have suggested activities at the end of every lesson or chapter. Help her choose one, even a simple one, and make that more 'scientific' and more 'investigative.'

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    VijayaRaghu and Sangeeta85 like this.
  3. VijayaRaghu

VijayaRaghu Silver IL'ite

Thank you @Rihana . We explored couple options. Finally she picked "Magnetic Energy / force". We found simple project. she liked it. Hope things will go fine. Thanks again MY FRIEND!!! You are the best!

Regards,
    Vijaya

Rihana likes this.