Stem cell storage - your baby's ultimate health insurance?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by cheer, Apr 30, 2007.

1. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Re: Save Baby's Umbilical Cord For Future

Hi Sunkan
    Is this the address of the organisation...Please confirm....

LifeCell International

8th Main, 80 Feet Road, H.A.L. 2nd Stage, Tippasandra
    Indira Nagar
    Bangalore - 560038
    Phone: 080-41521019, 41523737
    Facilitating Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell Banking In India

LifeCell International Private Limited
    26, Vandalur Kelambakkam Main Road
    Keelakottaiyur
    Chennai - 600048
    Phone: +9-044-27479291/ 27476600

cheers,

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunkan Ji,
    Thank you for posting this information!
    My friend's child who was six years passed away due to immune problems. Her doctors were positive that they could have saved her if the parents have saved her umbilical cord. Saving the U. cord was not that popular before. My friend got pregnant to use the newborn's U.cord. But, unfortunately the child died before the operation was done. Though saving an Umbilical Cord is very expensive, it might be a life saver in the future.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanku
    for extending my information here svr lax, happy u joined here with the information
    wish some more addresses would come in so that people living in areas other than mentioned will also benefit.thanku in advance..sunkan

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for this information, sunkan, which I will pass on to the friends and relatives I know.
    Thanks svrlax for the address.

sriniketan

5. Sheetha

Sheetha New IL'ite

Dear Sunkan

I always like reading your posts. I just read your post on Cord Blood Storage (Umbilical cord storage)

I think stem cells are an important treatment option for the future for many diseases. I think stem cells should be used to save lives.

Public cord blood banking is strongly supported by the medical community. However, private cord blood banking is generally not recommended unless there is a family history of specific genetic diseases. Private banking is actually considered unethical. Private storage of cord blood is somewhat like storing your blood in private blood banks and not allowing anyone needing it to use it.

Private banking is unlawful in France and Italy, and opposed by the European Group on Ethics in Science and New Technologies.

Cord blood harvesting is a controversial practice in the medical and parenting community. The American Academy of Pediatrics 2007 Policy Statement on Cord Blood Banking states that:
    "Physicians should be aware of the unsubstantiated claims of private cord blood banks made to future parents that promise to insure infants or family members against serious illnesses in the future by use of the stem cells contained in cord blood;"

In the US a law was recently passed regarding Public storage of cord blood, Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act of 2005” (P.L. 109-129), This law created a national registry to match cord blood for those in need. All the cord blood banks participating in the inventory program will be linked into a search system that would allow transplant physicians to search for cord blood and bone marrow matches through a single access point. In September 2006, the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) was selected by the US federal government to perform these duties.

I think everyone should store their cord blood with Public Cord Blood storages so that any child in need could access the cord blood. If this were done, maybe Sinduja's friends child need not have had to wait until her mom had another baby, she could have found a match from the publically stored cord blood and could still be with us today.

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

wonderful sheetha,
    for all those information happy u joined here to contribute..sunkan

7. aproop

aproop Bronze IL'ite

Thanx Sunkanji, Seetha and Svrlax,

for posting this information. wil surely pass on to friends n relatives.....

regards,
    Anu

8. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

What I know about this new concept of stem cell bank is just an outline and let me share this with you.
    The stem cells can be derived from a rich source of umbilical cord blood. Stem cells are the panacea for many life threatening diseases by providing cells and tissues.
    The stem cells are a lifelong investment which can be used in case of emergency, not only for the baby but also for the whole family.
    After deciding to bank your baby’s umbilical cord, you have to do a lot of analysis in selecting the bank too whether to go in for a public or private.
    You have started a very good thread and the posts are very informative. I think I’ll learn a lot from the thread you started. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Lakshmi

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

lakshmi,
    i am aware of all these but want to know where are the banks available to store, which might help others..sunkan

10. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite