1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Steam vacuum the carpet-How often???

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by vaishnavilakshmi, Aug 3, 2007.

1. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I live in an appartment. I have a toddler kid who keeps spilling something or the other on carpet and moreover now iam potty training him,accidentally he might pee or poop on carpet sometimes..i clean the stained areas etc with spotshot on daily basis and spray disinfectant,and steamvac the carpet(with bissel steam vac) once in 1 or 2months depending on the condition of the carpet.

Am i doing right by steam vaccuming the carpet ?One of my friend told me that some moisture might be remaining which could lead to molds etc.How far is this true?Can anyone suggest me,as to how often do we have to do this steamvac?Or any better solution for carpet cleaning???

-Awaiting for ur opinions,
    -Vaishu

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: steam vac the carpet-How often???

Hi Vaishnavi,

Accidents on carpet do happen with my infant too. I haven't yet started potty training her but with diapers itself sometimes it happens when she craw;s and tries walking.

I clean the carpet for stains using Oxymagic upholstery cleaner (which we originally bought for our car seat cleaning :tongue ).

I get to steam vacuum the carpet whenever we renew lease for our apartment. I have heard stores like wal-mart rent out steam vacuums but haven't tried it ourselves. How come you get to steam vacuum so often? Doesn't the carpet get wet and take almost a day to dry? How do you manage in the wet carpet with your kid?

Malathy

3. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Malathy,

I purchased Hoover Steam vac with clean surge for $179, 7months back.And about managing with kid,i choose a day when my kid goes to bed early at about 9pm or so.That night,i vaccum the carpet and do the steam vac(only living room).Then switch the heater on and we don't step on it at all that night.we too go to bed and don't step into living room till next morning.By next morning it will be dry.Next day i manage to go out and spend some time(for 2-3hours) like grocery shopping etc or friends place,just to make sure we are not stepping on any left wet area in the carpet.

The problem is,he wont listen to me.Sometimes,when he pees or poops,he removes the trainingpants on carpet and run to rest room.Iam training him many times to go into restroom and takeout the training pant(so accidents happen).But he is cranky sometimes.Once iam done with potty training fully,i dont have to steam vac so regularly.

cheers,
    vaishu

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I have a professional company steam vacuum my whole house all the carpets. it actually dries very quickly from a few hours to 24 hrs max. I think it needs to be done periodically even if there are no small kids. the carpet gets cleaned well etc.
    regards
    chitra:)

5. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hey ladies,
    i am planning to buy a steam vac...can you suggest wich brand is good?bissel...hoover or any other?

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidya,
    I have a Bissel steam vac. And am very happy with it. It is the smaller one and works like a charm. It is light weight, the water compartment is easy to remove and fix.

Vandhana

7. sheesta

sheesta Bronze IL'ite

I was looking for steam vaccum for carpet cleaning.
    which brand is good and where can i buy it?