1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Statue!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

We have a genius for forgetting real issues and fighting over trivia.. Looks like the most earthshaking issue faing the country is demolition , damaging and desecration of statues. The real issues be damned.

I(t all began with the demolition of lenin statues in Tripura by BJP’s storm troopers. At least two statues were brought down with the tacit blessings of the governor Tataghata Roy who tweeted justifying them. Then he issued a statement condemning them.

Then in retaliation an extreme left group defaced the statue of Shayma Prasad Mukherjee, the founder of Jan Sangh , forerunner of BJP in Kolkata.-+*-.

But hats off to the mainstream left parties for reacting to the whole affair with dignity and maturity. CPIJM, general secretary Sitaram Yechuri saiud: “ They can break the statues but not our spirit”.

But the real furore broke out in Tamil Nadu where BJP’s loose cannon in residence declared on facebook that today it was Lenin statues and tomorrow statues of “casteist” Periyar would be brought down—a reference to the founder of Dravidian movement E.V.Ramaswamy Naicker, founder of the Dravidian movement. All the hell broke loose. Dravidian partiesstaged demonstrations demanding Raja’s arrest after one Periyar statue was damaged.

On this, I agree with Kamal Hassan, actor turned politician . The entire ruckus could be just diversionary tactics to divert our attention from more serious problems. You see there is a method in all this statue madness. The TN parties seem to have forgotten that the central government has not sset up the Cauvery regulatory body even after a Supreme Court deadline for it ended. May be that is what the centre wanted. Elections are due in Karnatakas and BJP would not dare to ruffle Kannadiga feathers in a state where it has a good chance of capturing power. Instead it would rather take for a ride or distract the attention of people of a state where it has no chance of even winning its security deposit.

And it could be more than that. At least temporarily the party could be seeking respite fom all the bank scam furore by creating a countrywide ruckus over statues.

My view on this is LET US REMOVE STATUES OF ALL NETAS. They are kitschy eyesores and you don’t really honour revered leaders with them. Talking of desecrating statyes, they get desecrated every day as birds use them as toilets.

So let us use taxpayers’ money for more productive purposes than for desecrating pub;lic places like parks and squares with kitschy images of leaders;. The statue madness has reached its peak with the idea of gargantuan Sardar Patel statue (made in China at the behest of champions of Make in India).on which thousands of crores of OUR money is going to be wasted. This reminds me of the game Statue ! in which we arte supposed to freeze when someone says Statue! I wish all the idiotic attempts at wasting public money would freeze that way. Forever

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    mushroomm, MonikaSG and shyamala1234 like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balaji,
    The best sentence is LET US REMOVE ALL STATUES OF ALL NETS.
    Syamala

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Balajee!!

In India too? You know what happened in US recently right? Is this what we are borrowing? All bad ideas? I am with you - why have any statue when most of us don't know who is who and don't care about any statue considering that all statues are treated equally......Seriously we need to focus on what matters.

I do miss kamalji bringing in news with his writing. Thank you for doing that with this issue here.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

When PM Modi is pushing hard on building a lot of public toilets, it is unfair to the birds to remove their toilets as they primarily use those wonderful statues as toilets. There can't be two separate rules for humans and birds. The birds don't discriminate whether it is an atheist or Marxist or Jansangh leader.

I came to know about the opening of a statue of Shivaji in Mumbai at a huge cost and bloodbath will happen if you suggest removal of all statues. Raja needs to be in the news every week and he knows how to do it systematically. Now that Andal issue is dying down, he picked the next best thing. The big joke is Amma's brother's daughter claiming that she won't let Periyar's statue to be removed as her aunt's party was built on Dravidan principles. What a joke!

Viswa

Balajee likes this.
  5. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

No one cares a fig for statues, which stand like eyesores everywhere collecting pigeon **** , till some one topples them . Other than providing some employment for sculptors , they serve no purpose . I too support blanket ban on Statues .
    No statue= no desecration = no hurt sentiments = more peace.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

vISWA STATUES SERVE NOT ONLY BIRDS BUT STRAY DOGS TOO WHICH CAN RELIEVE THEMSELVES AT THEIR PEDESTALS IF THEY ARE UNABLE TO FIND A LAMPPOST.. bUT i THINK THERE IS A METHOD IN rAJA'S MADNESS. hE IS NOT a MERE LIME,LIGHT JUNKIE BUT IS DOING ALL THIS AT THE BEHEST OF HIS PARTY BOSSES WHO WANT THEIR PARTY TO REMAIN IN THE LIMELIGHT IN A STATE WHERE THEY HARDLY HAVE A FOOTPRINT HOPING THAT THIS WOULD ENABLE THEM TO TAKE ROOTS IN TN AS THE RALLYING POINT OF ANTI-DRAVIDIAN FORCES. REMEMBER DESPITE VOTING FOR DRAVIDIAN PARTIES FOR DECADES , tn IS ESSENTIALLY A RELIGIOUS STATE WITH TEMPLES ATTRACTING HUGE CROWDS. mAY BE BJP WANTS TO PLAY ON THIS SENTIMENT TO CREATE A BASE FOR ITSELF.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

eVEN IF THEY DON'T REMOVE EXISTING STATUES i THINK WE SHOULD ENSURE THAT NO MONEY IS WASTED HENCEFORTH ON SUCH WASTEFUL EXPENDITURE.

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

lET US AT LEAST WASTE NO MORE MONEY ON STATUES.