Starting writing in school

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Singapore' started by laksravi, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

Lakshmi we were forced to pull him out of the school b'coz of two main reasons...
    1) there was major transport problem on the very first day of hi primary 1, kids were supposed to return home by 12 but they came back only by 3:00 and we couldn't get in contact with school the phone lines were jammed b'coz all the parents would be trying to contact the school for whereabouts of their kids...we didn't know where kids were we didn't get any information from the school..since happened to be the first day of new session, some of my friends had been to the school who spotted the kids and told us abt them and they asked teachers to send the kids with tmen since they were staying nearby but they didn't allow..the school couldn't arrange for transportation for all the kids that day..b'coz of certain delays and dps shares buses with local schools and the drivers went to pickup kids from the local school as it was their slot..somehow the my son alongwith 8 other kids who r abt 51/2 to 61/2 were put in one bus and sent.. the driver after dropping one kid at his appointed bus stop ..tried to push another kid down against the child's protest that this wasn't his stop and the lady wasn't his maid..but the driver was persistent..a parent whose kid was dropped off in th same pt, who happened to know the other boy....sensing rhe situation was not proper got inti the bus despite the driver's protest to help the kids..the driver having to relent went off to someother distant area to pickup students from a local school without dropping these dps kids and went abt dropping the local kids at their stops..despite from the portesting parent onboard the bus..the driver was chinese he couldn't understand english..meanwhile the parent called up the scholl to report and arrange for altrernate transport the school didnot respond properly and asked him to contact the transport handlers..somehow that with help of a local student who knew english and made the driver understand the situation and the driver called the transport head and arranged an alternate transport for these kids and transffered them to another bus on a highway..for abt 2hrs we didn't know where kids were our..b'coz that parent our kids returned safe..and during this whole fiasco ..kids were made to stand in noon sun and weren't comforted by the teachers or school authorities and were given nothing to eat..in this fiasco one kid was missing and was found only in the evening..lot os other incidents happened but the school didn't own up...next when we complained the principal intially was sorry..but he said he expected the kids understand the situation and not to panic...and blamed it on the parents that b'coz of them phone lines got jammed and the parents were shouting at the school and also on the transport handlers..till this day i shudder when i think abt that ..my son was so scared and he had fever by the time he came back home hungry and thirsty...the principal said kids were provided snacks to eat..which was a blatant lie..
    2) in dps fees structure..they used to have refundable registration fees and non refundable fees.which u pay when u join the school..and u have to pay a topup of refundable and non refundable fees when u graduatef rom kindergarden to primary..but in 2009 a new rule to education act was added saying schools shouldn't take any money in any form (depsoits or capitation) the school started returing the refundable deposits kids who joined after the point.. the whole amt which we had to pay was 1000S$ as refundable deposit(in addition to 1500S$ which we had already paid during his admission to nursery) and non refundable deposit of 1650S$ (in addition to 200S$ which we had already paid during his admission to nursery) this deposit was not being taken for new kids who joined the primary.we asked the school why do u want the kids who where there since 3yrs to pay up the the fees, when u treat the admission to primary as new since u r taking top up registration fees ..we said some benefit should be given to us also...we ( means the parents of p1 kids ) that we won't pay 1650S$ but they can keep the S$1500 which he had already given during the admission to nursery and top it up with$S150 but they refused.. saying that don't worry we will somehow take money from the new kids also..
    there's so much more...

bye
    ramya

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OMG!! Ramya this is really terrible. I have heard a little about DPS and GIIS, but the issue with the school bus takes the cake..... dear god, i cannot even begin to imagin what the parents and kids would have gone thru in those hours. The management should have been made to publically apologise for such irresponsible behavior.

3. madhumathi1974

madhumathi1974 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Akhila and Ramya,

sorry to interfere in this issue but to me i have come to know this when i have started enquerying abt sch's when we planned to shift from saudi to singapore. more over when i started searching the feedback abt these schools and their acadamic results they came to b fine but they posted clearly that these were false results as these r only for advertising. i dont know which is correct. but i have noticed in some sites like orkut etc, when some one post abt other school name rather than DPS or GIIS the post will b deleted or omited by no reason when there is no rubbish talk or discussion.no one can post anything as if they own that place. iam experienced with my post when i provided some information to new comer to singapore.

this is what my experience, then i put my kids in someother indian cbse school which is new and comparing to these very very gud in all ways.