1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Weight Loss Project Week-1

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 18, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

This concept has always been in my mind and I thought this is a great platform to put it to use. I don't know about the kind of response I will get but even if one person is motivated to start I will be a happy person.

This is a call for those who are confused from where to start the weight loss. They start by eating less and end up by eating more. They start some exercise and end up giving up.

One thing I believe in is the law of weight loss never fails. So, if you are ready to be a part of this experiment I welcome you with open arms.

Right now, this law will get you started with weight loss, once the weight starts shifting you will have to progress more. But this is a great place for the start. It is better to start somewhere then have nowhere to start.

You can come back any time on this post to start your project. But start only when you have all the things mentioned below in hand.

Things Needed

1. Weighing Scale - There is no avoiding it. Buy one, don't buy a dress this month but invest in a good weighing scale.

2. Diary - Any size will do. Even a plain notebook where you can document the progress with dates is good.

3. Small Spoon - A desert spoon. Its a must and will cost your only Rs 5. Its probably there in your house, get this lethal weapon out and make use of it.

4. Determination - To at least stick with this plan for one week. Don't quit before you see the results.

What you have to do - You will have to make little changes in your lifestyle.

Food - Don't quit what you are eating, just reduce a small amount. Below are the examples

1. Breakfast - If you have 4 breads in BF have 2, make a veg sandwich with lots of tomatoes and cucumber. 2 breads and 1 egg is also good.

For paratha/dosa/idli - These portions should not be more or less than 2.

Poha/Upma - Have a quarter plate with reasonable amount. No need for a big full plate. Eat with a desert spoon.

2. Have any fruit between breakfast and lunch. Buttermilk will also do.

3. Lunch - Whatever is the quantity reduce it. Bring in a sprout salad or soup or 1 katori of dahi/raita.

A good lunch meal plan is - 1 roti OR 2-3 tablespoon of rice, 1 katori dhal, good amount of sabji, salad, 1 katori soup, 1 katori raita. If you think this is lot of food reduce on roti/rice and eat the other stuff.

If you eat in the canteen follow the same rule. They cannot put lots of oil in the dhal so have that. Best is to get homemade food. 2 stuffed roti rolls are great.

4. Evening - Grab a fruit/ sukha bhel (without namkeen) / roasted channa with tea

5. Dinner - Again follow the lunch rule. If you can and you should never force yourself here, then let go off roti/rice and have a stomach full of soup,sabji,raita. Check out my bowl mix for 2 tsp of rice for suggestion - Food that I Eat - IndusLadies

If you are really hungry and you have to have your roti/rice then please do so, just reduce the amount thats it. There is no point in giving these up the first week only to end up extremely hungry at night and to grab something and eat.

6. Cooking - Make sure your food is delicious and is cooked in 2 tsp of oil. If you are cooking for a large family mentally divide the amount of oil with number of people.

Exercise - All I ask is can you give me 30 minutes of daily walking. People who are already walking can you increase your time to 10 minutes.

You might have following doubts:

"I have no place to walk" - No problem, you can walk on terrace/veranda. If that too is a problem you can walk in your bedroom/drawing room/living room, for 30 minutes without sitting.

"I don't have 30 minutes in one go" - No problem, you can break the walk in 10 minutes each. If you can manage - 10 min before/after breakfast, 10 minutes before/after lunch, 10 minutes before/after dinner is good.

"Walk in home sounds crazy"- Its fun and its powerful. If you are at home you can do few things what you might feel shy to do in front of others. For those who are walking in home, you can also lift your hands in air. It should form a semi circle. The 2 hands should start from the middle and go and touch each other above your head and then back to your middle. You should feel your upper back working.

Start with 25 and increase the amount. If you really like this then you can do this all the time you are walking.

If you want more variation, then make big hugs to yourself. Swing your arms in front like a hug and swing them back. 25 is the least count, maximum you can do as much as you want.

Remember the above exercises seem simple but are tiring so don't overdo in the beginning.

"I have kids, I have no time" - No problem. You can walk at home while the kids are sleeping. You can also walk in the park keeping an eye on the kids while they play .

"I work, I have no time" - No problem, you can take out time after dinner Or walk a little while returning to your home.

Most Important - No matter where you walk and how you walk. You walk in one go or you break your time and walk. Please note the time. 30 minutes no less no more. Please go ahead if you want to do more but if you can't then no problem. 30 MINUTES IS THE MINIMUM. Never estimate the time, write down the minutes walked in the dairy.

"Walking is boring" - You can join any other exercise if you want to but if you can't then listen to music while you walk. If you are walking in your drawing room watch your favorite serial. If you are religious then this is a perfect time to chant slokas.
    This is the perfect time to think about and plan for the days ahead. If someone is hurting you this is the perfect time to think about how you will take your revenge. Perfect time to vision yourself in that beautiful dress when you will loose weight.

Restrictions - No eating out this week, no namkeens and biscuits. If giving up namkeen and biscuits is too much for you then have a handful and be satisfied. No more than 2 biscuits. With my experience, until you have learnt the art of control it is very difficult to stop yourself after 1 bite.

How you should proceed -

1. Take your initial weight and write it down in the dairy. It will be really great if you can leave your initial weight on this post, you will be happy to see the difference you have made in next 7 days.

2. For next 6 days write your meals and your activity time in the dairy.

3. On the 7th day get up in morning and weigh yourself and note down in the dairy. No need to exercise today and you can also have the meal you were craving for but in controlled amount. Please come back to this post and write your weight.

"If you goof up" - No problem, start again. The day you goof up (like eating lot of food), the next day will become your day 1 and you start over the procedure.

"What if I don't loose" - You will, I am sure. Instead of thinking this will work or not, start moving.

How to weigh yourself - There is no point in weighing yourself at night or weighing yourself with a heavy dress on. The best time is in morning after you have gone to potty and with no clothes on. If you have to wear something then make sure that you are wearing the same clothes that you were wearing on the start day. Your clothes do add to your weight.

If you have decided to start - Get the things mentioned above and leave a start comment here, preferably with your initial weight and come back on the 7th day and leave a comment with your weight.

I will put the strategy of week 2 (if someone wants to start with this) after 7 days.

Don't hurry into this, make sure you have everything to start with.

If you have doubts about this plan, giving it a try won't hurt. Things that don't ask for huge money investment can be tried safely.

PS: If you are a feeding mother don't cut back on your diet. In fact ask your doctor about doing this. Do this if you don't have any major medical complications. Its always a great idea to consult a doctor. Though the meals above are the same as you have only the amount is little less but if in doubt please consult an expert. If this works for you great otherwise something else will work for sure.

Remember, you are not walking alone I am walking with you too.

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Great project dear, I am short of some equipments here and will comeback after that;)

3. marytharaken

marytharaken New IL'ite

I have all the equipments and my wieght is 82 Kgs, when my feet is at the top of the machine and when I come down a bit it is showing 79 Kgs, so no idea what the correct weight is, anyway I am on for the project weight loss.

4. shivachoubey

Join us whenever you are ready. I am waiting for you with open arms dear.

5. shivachoubey

Real weight is 82 with the feet up. Don't let it bother you, because no matter what your weight is it will come down for sure. We will start with 82. All the very best with this project, don't forget to exercise. If you are feeling demotivated come back here, we will pull up your mood. I will be waiting to hear from you next week.

6. shivachoubey

Great israni, you are already on the right track babes. Don't worry about the weight you have put on, it will go away for sure.

Weight training is good, you might not see lot of weight reduction but inch loss will happen. Lets see whats your weight is on 26th jan with 45 minutes of gyming (including weight training), we will take a call after that. All the very best.

7. anuani2202

anuani2202 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Now I see so many with us, good great start and keep the spirt, lets log our details and keep tracking our progress ...
    we will win.... just keep up the determination

all the very best

8. shivachoubey

Yes lets keep the determination and lets all win together.

9. banusree

banusree New IL'ite

shiva,i got to buy a weighing machine may be this weekend coz i m waiting for my DH to come. well i will got to my nearby clinic where i usually check my weight today and post it tomorrow.anyways i m already in this diet and walking which i should increase by 10 mins .thanks...

10. shivachoubey

Welcome on the board banusree. I am sure we will see great results from you. You have already shown determination to go and weigh yourself at the near by check up station. This gesture speaks very high of you, instead of waiting to buy the machine, you are not loosing anytime to weigh yourself. Way to go banusree and a very big clap for you. All the very best.