1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Starting the bottle

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Neets8, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Neets8

Neets8 Junior IL'ite

I have heard so many suggestions about starting the bottle for my 1 and half month year old, some say you shouldn't some say you should so that the baby gets used to the bottle nipple.

If bottle feeding was started it would be by my expressed milk not cows milks!

So should you start bottle feeding, after 6 months or earlier. And how many times a day???

2. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

i know i have to go back to office when baby becomes 4 months old so we started bottle very early from 1st month itself ..she used to take my milk and sometimes expressed milk in the bottle and now she is used to it..i have seen my cousins kid who was not at all used to bottle and now they are worried as she has to go back to work from day after
    so i guess if you are a homemaker there should not be an issue else i would really suggest you to start some bottle feeds

3. Neets8

Neets8 Junior IL'ite

Im a home maker, but what i have been told is that when its time to be fed with a bottle then baby wont like it, as the baby wont be used to it. So would you think that its best to start bottle later on say at 4 months!

4. adimom

adimom Senior IL'ite

My baby is 6 months old now. I started bottle when my baby was 10 weeks. I use to give her bottle only when we go out (once or twice a week). She use to take happily. After 4 months i started giving her formula twice a day because my milk was not enough. But always she prefers my breast to bottle. She has milk from bottle only when she is very hungry. So dont worry about introducing bottle now or later. You can introduce bottle now. Dont give daily. give them once a week or so initially.

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

If you are a SAHM and do not intend going back to work for the first year I strongly suggest sticking to BFing alone. Babies do not actually need a bottle unless there is a specific reason where the mom is not around to nurse. Personally, I raised my DS without a single bottle ever being used/bought and he went straight from BFing to a sipper to a tumbler. I'm proposing to do the same for my second. Its completely doable and to me by far the easiest way.

Vanathi.