1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Starting solids: 4-6 months

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. selviraj

selviraj New IL'ite

Starting Solid Food For 3 Months Old infant!

Hai to all,

when is best time to start the solid food ? my boy is 3 months compeleted , He is sitting with support,he is not sleeping for long hrs day and night , i think its because of he is not getting full. so thinking to start feeding cereals,biscuits. Is anyone done like this before share with me !

Thanks ,
    selvi.

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Starting Solid Food For 3 Months Old infant!

Hi,
    Even though doctors say that we need to wait until 4 months to start solids, we can start solids before 3 months also.... best way is to start with the cereal is to give just one spoon cereal in thee afternoon and see how the baby reacts to it and you could slowly increase the feedings and quantity later on if baby doesn't have any problems.

Good luck.

3. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

dear selvi,

here in India, we give 1/2 marie biscuit around 11 in the morning, from the 4th or 5th month, and then slowly we start giving 1/2 in the evening too, if it suits baby.
    try one at a time,
    2nd option, you can try paruppu thanni, 4 to 5 spoons at 12 in the noon, dal pressure cooked with perungaayam, manja podi, you just extract little water from that and give......if it suits the baby, you can continue.............

love
    padma

4. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

dear selvi,

Best time to start solid food is only after 5 months.In india doctors prescribe cooked rice,carrot or potato or beetroot, dhal.Mash this well in mixie and feed.ragi can also be given but it has to be carefully prepared.some children get cold when they take ragi.cornflour also is good.I was doing this for my daughter.She was healthy and chubby.now only give adequate milk or little fruit juices.

5. santasekar

santasekar Senior IL'ite

Hi Selvi

Even i started solids for my kid only in the sixth month . first started with little ragi kul in the day time n later twice a day n then parupu n so on .......u can even give milkbikies mixed with milk in a paste form .......wait n consult ur pediatrician n then start solids. In India doctors advice breast feeding fully till sixth month .

Regards
    Santasekar

6. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Selvi,

I started solid food for my daughter at 5th month. I think your baby is ahead
    in milestones. But their digestive system is not yet ready to digest solid food.
    I started with rice cereal. After a week tried oats cereal. My suggestion is
    you can wait a month.

7. selviraj

selviraj New IL'ite

Thanks everyone for the reply , sounds like i have to wait for 2 more months to go..

selvi

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Calling all mommas for tips and ideas

Hi, our daughter is exclusively breastfed and I am planning on continuing that until she's six months old, but I am in the process of collecting ideas and tips for preparing homemade baby food. I read recently (and this was just one author's point of view) that she recommends giving pears to babies when they start eating the first time. What did you feed your baby the first time? It would help if you can also tell me how you prepared it and stored it. Although we live in US, I want to prepare food at home instead of buying boxed cereals or jarred foods.

:thankyou2:

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Re: Calling all mommas for tips and ideas

Riyasmommy Raj....

since you liked this, I am going to stick with it! I have nursed both my kids for a whole year but started introducing solids when they were 5 months old - kids take a while to adapt to eating vs drinking. So by the time they are 6months old, they are comfortable eating on a regular basis. The other thing I kept in mind was to introduce them to texture (ofcourse at a later stage) - this is important becos soon they will become picky and not anything that is not mashed.

Now coming to your question, each person has their view of what to start with, But generally most people start with vegetables (some babies I believe are allergic to peas, so look out and introduce it after trying a couple of others) and green colored ones followed by yellow ones in that order ( I have learnt that it does not matter about the order though!) and then fruits and then anything else you want to introduce. But stick to one food for a week, look for signs of allergies and then move on to next variety -in a couple of weeks you will have varieties and you will also get comfortable trying other things. Finger foods can also be introduced when they are a little older (7-8 months) and can sit up. The other theory some people have is, it is best to introduce veges and fruits can always be introduced as juices (fresh too).

As for preparations, I have usually cooked in a cooker or just boiled and added little salt. I have never tried to store and have always used bottled food when we were outside. Once they got used to eating soilds, I also introduced white rice with ghee mashed well. And the other thing I did was introduced water too - more or less when they were on a scheduled eating habits. This has prevented juices being introduced to their diet and even now, they prefer water to juice :) The one other thing that I did was for some reason, I have never cooked fruits and given them - first introduced them to softer fruits (ofcourse not as whole but a little mashed for them not to choke as well get the flavors) and later harder fruits like apples sliced very thin.

Finally, I have never introduced them to bottle (not by design but it just worked out that way!) but once they could sit up, have given them water in little spoons first followed by little glasses and both of them have skipped bottle and sippy cup (I give them if they want a drink in the car) and used a glass by the time they were one.

But ofcourse this is my view and it has worked well for me and it was a good opportunity to speak about what I did. I am sure you will get inputs from others and don't hesitate to ask your paedeatrician too.

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Re: Starting Solids for a 4 1/2 month old baby: Suggestions please

SRama, when you say you breastfed but also introduced solids, what does that mean? Did you breastfeed at a particular time of the day and then gave solids rest of the day, or solid instead of one feed, like at lunch? Can you please explain? I am confused when moms say they do both.

Also, one of my friends told me that I should introduce dal pani and fresh fruit juices to get Riya used to different tastes (because her daughter is 10 months old and picky and she wished she had done that) but again I am not sure how I should time both breastfeeding and other liquids during the span of the day.