1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Starting solids: 4-6 months

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. bhuvanaprabhu

bhuvanaprabhu Silver IL'ite

Give me some suggestions for homemade food to be introduced to by 5.5months kid

Hi all

I'm blessed with a boy baby.... He 5.5months old.... My doctor advised me to start semi solid food to him.... She asks me to prepare rice kanji, ragi kanji and to start with fruit juice....

Asked me to start with solid foods like idly from his 6th month.... Could somebody tell me what can be feed and at what intervals....

Read receipe of krishnamma for rice kanji and geetha for ragi milk...

Anymore suggestions pls...

Urs
    Bhuvana

2. thejasree

thejasree New IL'ite

Re: Give me some suggestions for homemade food to be introduced to by 5.5months kid

Hi Bhuvana,

If you are ready to put in some extra time and energy, you can make homemade Ragi and wheat babyfood, as is prepared by grannies.
    It does take time, but i felt it was worth it and i did make it for my baby. Now she is 18 months old.

Do ask me, if you are interesed, i will help you.

Bye

Thejasree

3. indhumathi

indhumathi New IL'ite

Re: Give me some suggestions for homemade food to be introduced to by 5.5months kid

Hi Bhuvana,
    Its the right time to introduce solid or semisolid foods to ur baby.Here I can give some receipies which i gave to my baby(now he is 9 months old).
    1.Boil vegetables like carrot,potato and smash it and feed ur baby.Also you can feed the boiled & smashed apple.
    2.Prepare soup using with some vegetables and use pepper and salt for taste and feed ur baby.
    3.Prepare soup using with greens and use pepper and salt for taste and feed ur baby.
    4.Smash idly using mixer grinder and feed ur baby.
    In the meantime u should give breastfeeding also.If there is no chance for giving breast feeding, then give avin milk.

if any clarification in the suggestions which i have given, u can private message me.
    Indhumathi.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2007
  4. bhuvanaprabhu

Dear Tejashree and indumathi

Thanks a lot.... I didn't expected such a support...

Indumathi let me contact u in your mobile

Teja, could u pls give the procedure for preparing ragi and wheat baby food....

Urs
    bhuvana

5. thejasree

thejasree New IL'ite

Hi Bhuvana,

I am glad that u r interested..
    Ingredients reqd: Ragi -half kg and Wheat half kg
    Ensure quality is good and check for stones & dirt (especially in ragi).
    Procedure to make biscuits:
    1. Wash both well and grind together on grinder (If mixie is being used, its better to grind seperately. Add enough water and grind to semi-smooth consistency (neither very coarse nor very smooth).
    2. Seive. Add water generously while seiving.
    3. Keep overnight and throw away the water carefully
    without mixing next morning.
    4.The settled portion has to be dried under fan for a few hours. Make small balls like we make for puris and flatten a bit with fingers.
    5. Keep either on a big plate or cardboard for drying in sun after covering with thin muslin cloth (so that it does not catch dust).
    6. Dry properly for 3-4 days in sun. Store in air-tight container.

Precautions: Use utmost care while grinding and drying. Grind on clean grinder and if possible with lid. Dry well else it may catch fungus.

Half kg will be enough to make approx. 30-40 feeds.

Procedure to make feeds:
    1. Soak 2-3 biscuits in water for 30mts. Later make paste and add equal amount of water and milk.
    2. Add Powdered Jaggery (good for digestion) and mix well. Sieve.
    3. Boil stirring continuosly till the mix becomes thick.

Tips:
    * Try giving your baby 1st lesser quantity. If he likes it increase quantity gradually.
    * Salt, Sugar can be substituted for a change in taste in between.
    * This can be given 2-3 times daily.
    * Milk must be boiled well before adding in this and initially less of milk and more of water may be used.
    * Grind the mix late in the afternoon, else it may ferment too much. Else keep the mix in refrigerator after grinding and keep outside at night.

I know the procedure is too tedious, but i think its worth it for your precious baby.

Hope i am clear enough. Please mail me if u hav any doubts.

Bye

Thej

6. bhuvanaprabhu

Dear Tej

Thanks will not be right word to tell you... U have given a much detailed explanation....

Will surely mail you after giving ragi kanji.... Got the ingredients will mail you at once i feed my baby... Planning to give him with water rather than milk, because hates having milk.... Haven't given external milk products, still he turns his face off when he sees something in white...

I have told him, that i'm about to make a preparation for him to eat as per teju auntys instructions....

Thanks a lot... will mail you shortly...

bye
    bhuvana

7. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

i don't have any experience but i have seen my cousin sis daily she will give her daughter sago kheer she cooks it for a long time to smooth with very little sugar and baby used to eat full bowl. u can try if suits ur baby.

bye

8. thejasree

thejasree New IL'ite

Hi Bhuvana!

It's my pleasure to be of help to you. I'm glad that you are ready to put in the efforts for your precious one.

Bye

Thej

9. bhuvanaprabhu

Hi Tej

Grinding the powder... Havent yet started giving him them, he is sufferring from dysantry.... Let me mail you as soon as i feed him ...

He is very much precious.... Much awaited kid in our family, i can take any pains to make him healthy...

Will mail you soon...

bye take care...

bhuvana

10. thejasree

thejasree New IL'ite

Hi Bhuvana!

Did you take ur baby to the doc....?
    Hope he recovers soon. My prayers are with you....

Bye

Thej