1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Starting solids: 4-6 months

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Archies123

Archies123 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ils

My baby is 7 months old. When I was going through this thread I read that we should introduce one food at a time. Please clarify whether I am to introduce/give one solid food per week ? Can I continue to give already introduced food with a new one ?

archies

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@archana one new food item can be in given every 4-5 days. You will continue to give the earlier foods during the introduction of any new food item. The number of solid feedings will increase as you slowly set the meal plan.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  3. Archies123

Archies123 Bronze IL'ite

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, carrots are one of the sweet veggies right? Dd is not having. Poked and mashed carrots. This is the first veggie I have introduced to her. I think it's a little too bland compared to the cereal which she loves.

Many people say that I leave them bland. What did you all do?

One more doubt, most of the babies in India are introduced with solids around 3rd month. I waited until she completed 5 months and a bit. Now, even the portions suggested in many of the responses are not in line with what I feed her :(
    Is that fine? Specially since its recommended that we introduce one new food, wait for at least 4 days before giving new one?

Th dhal rice, is it ok to add salt? Here many people are saying no to salt.

5. ramyaramani

@rakhii I gave carrots as-is. I also found that LO was not able to digest carrots as easily as other veggies.

I started off with sweet potato. First day LO made faces. 2nd day onwards she started loving it. So try couple of more times before deciding if LO likes it or hates it.

You took a good decision of starting solids later. When you hear any portion sizes do not take them literally. Adjust it based on your LO. After all every one is different. I started solids when LO was 6 months old. While I kept portion sizes as guidelines I aimed at ensuring LO was full after a solid feeding. Even now I feel my LO's intake does not match the portion sizes.

It is better to give 1 new solid food every 3-4 days. This will help in identifying allergies. I am not sure if this practice is followed in India. But this practice has helped me in exactly identifying the food items my LO is allergic to.

Adding salt/sugar to LO's food is a personal choice. Babies do not know the difference. I did not add salt to LO's food till she was about 8.5 months old. I have still not given sugar. If LO eats dal rice without adding salt, I dont see the need to introduce salt so early.

1 person likes this.
  6. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Rakhii, I give carrots (boiled and pureed). Initially I strained it and gave only the carrot juice. Later, I started giving as it is.

As for the quantity, I leave the decision to my DD. When she spits out or seals her lips, I take that as a clue that she no longer wants the food and stop feeding her. I never try to force feed her.

I also started her on solids only after 5 months though there was pressure from others in the family to start early. I believe I have done the right thing for her.

I don't add salt or sugar to my DD's food. I have read somewhere that babies don't understand the concept of bland food until we start adding salt. Once they taste salt, they will not take bland food. For sweet flavor, I give her fruits (apple, pear, muskmelon, banana) and sweet potato.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rakhii

Ramya and Karuna, thanks a lot. Couldn't respond sooner, sorry. Been busy with a sick baby.
    Yes, there is no reason to introduce salt to her. Unfortunately mine isn't taking even carrots!! Like you said I tried for 3 days hoping she will have at least a 3rd spoon. But no, she seems revolted by the taste; she immediately vomits! I am not sure if she is doing this because she is sick currently or she jut doesn't like the taste.

Upon MIL's advise, i tried dal rice. Same result. She is revolted by the taste.
    I will have to try sweet potato now. SIL is asking me to try the gerber products. Not sure though... I really wanted home made things for her if I can help it.

Do you think she is just not ready for carrots or anything for that matter? On June 15th she will complete 6 months. She likes her rice and oat cereal though.

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rakhi...
    My hugs to you dear...I will pray for your kid...

9. ramyaramani

@Rakhii My suggestion would be to wait for a few days before starting anything new. She may be looking for comforting foods when she is sick. Once is all well, you can try sweet potato. I thought you were going to wait for annaprasannam to give rice. Is it over?

You can try gerber products. You can give them once in a while. It should not be a problem.

10. Rakhii

Thanks a lot vjbunny. I sure need a hug :)

Ramya, yes, her annaprasana is done on June 1st. Actually we were to have it later this month but her aunt didn't get time off and she requested that we do it earlier. So we did it on June 1st. There were close 20 people excluding hubby, SIL, bil and I. We cooked at home! Phew! It was stressful.

I repeatedly (politely) requested people to use hand sanitizer while holding her...still she fell sick soon after. Mom keeps saying, dishti vilundidichi (nazar lag gayi).

You are right. I will wait till she feels better .