1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Starting solids: 4-6 months

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. preethisukumara

preethisukumara New IL'ite

Re: Give me some suggestions for homemade food to be introduced to by 5.5months kid

Thejashree: I would like this recipe too- Would you please message me? Thanks!

2. nimnik

nimnik Silver IL'ite

dear all,
    I have been looking for these recipes as am planning to start solids for my Baby in few weeks..she is almost 4 months old now..
    I also would like to know what all can i start initially for her..

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This ragi recipe was posted by bril in June 2011 due date club. I am posting the same here for others to refer:

Originally Posted by bril

Here's the recipie for ragi cereal :

Clean, wash and soak ragi in water for 6-8 hours. Drain all the water and let it sprout(atleast 1 day). Then dry the sprouts on a clean white cloth in shade (atleast a day). When it is fully dry, roast it about 2 tsps at a time in a dry kadai until u hear pop sound. Let it cool. Powder it well and sieve. If u want fine powder you can sieve using a clean white cloth .Store the sieved fine powder in an air tight container n freeze.

Preparation : Mix 1 tsp of powder in cold water (preferrably boiled and cooled water) continuously so that there are no lumps. Place it on the stove and keep stirring continuously till it reaches a thick consistency. Let it cool. Mix with expressed BM / milk and feed LO.

Why this is good for LO's? : Sprouting changes the amino acids composition in ragi and makes it a rich protein food which is good for babies. Also, when fed in soup like consistency its easy for LO's to digest and the sticky texture makes it feel a lot like BM.

Hope it is useful. Thanks to bril.

4. ramyaramani

@nimnik rice cereal is a safe food to start with. I prepared rice cereal at home. This is the schedule I followed while starting solids:

1st week - rice cereal
    2nd week - vegetable
    3rd week - fruit

I started off with only 1 new item every week. I started giving solids when my LO turned 6 months.

1 person likes this.
  5. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

@Ramya, can you pls share how you prepared rice cereal at home? Is it with raw rice or boiled rice?

6. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,
    When we start rice and dal for baby which rice we can use? Here in US we buy swad ponni raw rice or sona masoori rice. Is it ok to give the same to baby? Moms in US please advise.

7. ramyaramani

@karanu rice cereal recipe

Boiled rice - 1 cup
    Pottukadalai/split dhal - 1/4 cup
    Omam/Ajwain - 1 tsp

Soak rice in water for 1 hour. Remove water and wash well. Allow it to dry by putting it on a cotton cloth. Once it is dried completely, grind it along with other ingredients. Sieve the ground powder. Store in air tight container.

Preparation: mix 1 tbsp rice cereal with 1//4 cup water. Stir continuously while keeping it on heat. It will solidify. This should take about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add BM to achieve liquid consistency.

8. ramyaramani

@ilovemymom I started off with ponni raw. I have alo given sona masoori to LO. you can use any of the two. It should not be a problem.

9. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Thanks ramya for the clarification.

10. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Thanks Ramya for the recipe, will make it at home