1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

starting coarse food?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by titli, Jan 23, 2009.

1. titli

titli New IL'ite

hi friends
    i need ur help pls..my baby is 11 month old n still i am giving him pureed food..i want to start with course food..i don't know how to start. i had given him textured rice n dal but he vomitted..after that i did'nt try again..
    n other question is reg. b'fast..i am giving him cereals..but nowadays he is not interested in that..pls suggest..
    waiting for ur response
    titli

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

titli, there are so many other foods that you can try. If he doesn't want cereal, try fruits, oatmeal with raisins, pancakes, toast with butter.

As for coarse food, I am wondering why you waited until 11 months to introduce texture. Anyhow, if he doesn't like rice and dal, try khicdi, it's not in a pureed form, but is not too coarse either - sneak in some veggies like peas and chopped carrots.

Do you give him any finger foods, like chopped, steamed veggies, chopped fruits etc.?

Raj

P.S. - Please go through all the stickies on this forum that discuss age-wise food issues.

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi

I still dont give coarse foods to my son, i tried but he is vomitting bcos he cudnt chew and swallow, he directly swallows it, so it chokes and he vomits,what to do?

4. titli

titli New IL'ite

hi,
    how old is ur baby? even i used to face the same problem..
    now i am giving him rice n dal which has been pureed , so that he get used to that first..now he is eating well..i add vegetables n greens too...
    now he eats idly, dosa also. but he does'nt eat much..i don't know whether he will be full or not..later after some time i give him fruits..
    thanks for ur reply
    titli

5. revathis

revathis Senior IL'ite

Dear titli & sanravi,

I think most kids do the same. They dont have a full set of teeth which helps us in grinding the food. Encourage them to touch the food. This way they will come to know the different textures of food. Start to feed them unpureed food gradually, may be 1-2 spoon at each meal time. Instead of making a puree try cooking the rice for a long time and cutting veggies into smaller pieces and mash it.

My daughter also try to vomit when i started with coarse food. I overcame this by giving her water immediately when she tries to vomit and i started feeding her what i used to eat by mashing it well and she gradually developed the taste for coarse food.

In case the above tips dont work pls dont worry much. She will learn to gradually. I still have a problem with my daughter. She hardly eats any fruit nor fruit juice. I am trying to overcome this by feeding her fav toys first and still am able to give her juice of abt 50 ml only which is very less by my standards.

Keep trying and all the best
    revathi

6. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi Revathy
    Thanks for the tips, i do give him water immediately, but my son is too clever, he somehow try to bring everything out. Anyway as u say, i too give cooked veggies mashed by hand along with rice, he eats that, lets see..