1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Starting a weight loss challenge---anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by jayhari, Nov 19, 2011.

1. jayhari

jayhari New IL'ite

Hello All,
    I want to start a challenge to motivate myself in my weight loss journey. From the beginning of this year I have lost around 10lbs. I have the last 10lbs which is getting very hard to loose. I thought I'll start a challenge so that anyone who is looking for a motivation to loose weight can also benefit from it and I'll also be accountable for my weekly goals.
    The rules for the challenge
    1. The challenge is a 5 week challenge that begins on November 21st and ends on Dec 31st to loose 1 or more lb(s) a week
    2. Weekly weigh in is on Monday of every week.
    3. Each week there will be a mini goal to reach
    4. The final weigh in is on Dec 31st and the winner will be announced on 1st of Jan (what an incredible way to start the new year!!!!:thumbsup)
    Any one interested to join? Please let me know and I'll post the weekly goals.

Jaya

If any one is interested to join

2. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

Lost 10 lbs past 2 months before that I lost some weight but did gain back. Past two months I have a personal trainer three days a week for strength training and 6 days of cardio training. It is worth investing in personal trainer for at least three months. My cardio training is with the help of newleaf, it is based on online training after metabolic workup at gym by another trainer, goal is to keep heart rate within a certain range so that I donot get used to workout, it incorporates interval training as well. Most important piece of equipment is to buy a heart rate monitor and try to get few sessions with live and online training as what your heart rate rate needs to be on a particular day and how long. Apart from loosing weight I toned up with muscle. It is my way of life now, I eat healthy and donot diet, infact eat little extra, I was told to loose weight I should not diet so that my metabolism is up. Before I used to walk now I can run nonstop for 30 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  3. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

hey jaya,
    count me in... just as i was thinking of the same plan... i am planning to follow kitchuppa's diet followed by yoga in the mornings....

i will post my starting weight and other details tomorrow... pls do reply and all the very best!!

4. jayhari

jayhari New IL'ite

Good Job Billybob. I admire your persistence. I lost weight with healthy diet, I shouldn't say its a diet rather its a lifestyle change. I don't eat white rice(we are big time rice eaters) and I cut down on my sugar intake. I try to eat whole grain as much as possible with lots of veggies and fruits. I started with a personal trainer but didn't enjoy my workouts. Now I go to the group classes in my local gym and I thoroughly enjoy working out. I workout 4 days for sure and I try to workout 1 more day if I can. I have reached a plateau because I lost weight initially and then put on some muscle weight and I am just stagnant now. I guess I need to tweak my workouts and drink more water(which I don't normally) and I am sure I should see my weighing scale go down. I started this challenge to make myself accountable. Thanks for replying and keep up the good work.

5. jayhari

jayhari New IL'ite

Welcome Amunique for the challenge. I don't know how many people are going to join if not we both can start together and motivate each other. I'll post my weight tomorrow morning. The challenge for the first week is to drink atleast 2L of water(not including beverages,milk or other fluids) everyday. I am sure we are heading to a good start. All the very best to you.

6. MVRENUKA

MVRENUKA Silver IL'ite

hi jaya,

please dont use the words challenge or diet. it will not motivate you. it will just put pressure on you. there are lot of ways to lose weight fast, but sustaining it is the most difficult part. a healthy life style should be a life long habit. Do only the things, which you can sustain for life long. You can do 2 hrs of workout today but can u do the same for years to come?

Learn exercises which are effective and can be done in 20 mins. Learn different forms of exercise so that you can challenge your muscles in different ways, otherwise they will get used to it and u will start putting on. i lost 8 kgs in 10 mnts without looking at the weighting machine. i checked my weight only after 10 mnts. your fat is very light and muscles are very heavy. u may add on valuable muscels and mistake it for weight gain and get demotivated. u hv to gain muscles and lose fat at the same time. my routine is given below :

2 days of weight training (at home with dumbells for 2 hrs which includes lots of warm up)
    3 days of cardio for 20 minutes( mostly skiping. 1 minute skipping and 1 minute walking)
    1 day suryanamskar ( 15 mins)
    1 day belly dancing moves (10 mins)

i hv learnt lot of streching exercises and crunches too. i keep swaping one of the above frequently. i ensure i end up my exercises with progessive relaxation, which is good for mind and ensures that my body muscles get relaxed instantly. i hv started loving exercises. i eat normal food. when i do weight training alone, i add on some eggs / chicken. i enjoy everything i am doing, hence i can continue doing it life long.

7. jayhari

jayhari New IL'ite

Hello MVRenuka,
    I guess you have taken the whole thing in wrong sense. I didn't start the challenge to pressure anyone including myself. Its just trying to set some small short term goals to achieve the big one. I set realistic goals that everyone should be following for a healthy lifestyle. If we have been following all these goals we wouldn't be overweight and there wouldn't be need to reduce weight. I don't see any harm in being aggressive in your goals and I don't advise on crash diets nor unhealthy means to loose weight. I am trying to motivate myself and others in setting these goals and being accountable on the changes (that are supposed to be for good not just for these 5 wks). Good for you that you do workouts and see changes and you are committed on what you want. Not everyone are as self-motivated as you are, atleast I am not. If you see my reply to Billybob I did mention that I do a lifestyle change in eating healthy and I do exercise incorporating both cardio and weight training. Sorry if you don't like "Challenges" nor "goals". I am looking for people who want to loose weight with some goals set in their mind. Thanks for reading and posting a reply.

8. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

yes jaya,
    i am weighing 81.5 now... sure we ll make 2l of water per day, tht would flush out toxins and ensure boost in metabolism... n dont forget any form of exercise, may be anytime of the day .... :)
    eager to see your posts...
    i jus now had methi seeds with 3 small glasses of water ... will post in the evening too.. heading to office ;)...bye for nw..

9. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

Jayhari
    To avoid reaching plateau try to do cardio after metabolic work up, you do not need a personal trainer but you may have to pay nominal fee for emails. My cardio is based on new leaf, I am doing zone training to buildup my base, my cardio on a given day targets on my goal heart rate for that particular day. To keep up with HR you will end up training harder than previous day or week. They recommend intense cardio for 30 to 45 minutes 5 days a week and success rate is about 99 atleast that is what they claim. It is not a quick fix will to keep up this life style for rest of my life
    Agree with healthy eating rather than crash dieting, maintaing weight is more challenging than loosing weight, someone cannot diet for rest of their life, it is not healthy, it has be a way of life. Skin gets saggy, end up having osteoporosis, people will have older look than they are with crash diets, Always a good idea to see a dietician or a nutritionist before starting weight-loss challenge.

10. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

It is important to weigh yourself daily, your weight may fluctuate by you will be conscious about food choices. I need to loose 6 more pounds.