1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Standing Ovation for a Bus Driver

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear Balajee

Enjoyed the trip to Ooty through your beautiful write up.

Your idea of standing ovation is good.
    After trips through hilly areas I often admire drivers for their concentration and presence of mind when all the copassengers will be either dancing to a song or tensioned with fright.During the moments of tension in many cases its their presence of mind that save many of us .
    Thanks for sharing

2. vennelaaaa

vennelaaaa Bronze IL'ite

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

MINDI, THE bHADRINATH AREA IS MUCH MORE DANGEROUS. THE ROADS ARENT AS GOOD AS THE ONES IN THE SOUTHERN HILL STATIONS LIKE OOTY. MORE ACCIDENTS OCCUR THERE THAN IN SOUTH.. SO THE DRIVER WHO DROVE YOUR MOM TO THAT AREA DESERVES EVEN GREATER PRAISE THAN MY DRIVER.

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Balajee,

Drivers do need a standing ovation for their job, well done.
    Can we remember the pilot who saved lives by landing on the Hudson River in NY?

We also had a similar experience on our trip to Badir and Kedar, where the roads were slippery, snow falling...and all in our group praised the driver, who drove us to safety.

Nice trip through Ooty and santuary..enjoyed it!

sriniketan

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viji, the d4rivers who drive vehicles in such inhospitable terrains seem to be more hospitable than city bus drivers. But then in their case their own lives are at stake along with that of the passengers . They are as eager to return home to their families as everyone else in the bus.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Elephant ride? Lakshmi I dont think everyone has a taste for it. It can leave your insides rattled and animals as such are unpredictable.Yes sadists who supply macabre statistics at the wrong moment deserve a standing pounding from hostile feet.Solar powered vans are the best option in wildlife sanctuaries provided they don't rattle..

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Jamalji, I think the buffaloes showed their backside to the van which was making such a racket. It must have been a protest against noise pollution.

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Radshana, I know driving is stressful. Whether you are a professional driver your own car. I don't understand people who say going for a drive relaxes them. In such cases it is obvious someene else is driving and taking on the stress! Take my own case, I have not bothered to renew my driving license and let my wife do the driving. She does it cooly without swearing and hurling choice abuses with no trace of road rage in her. But me? Getting behind steering always led to my BP shooting up!

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamla, may be they get all that applause because flying is still considered a feat unlike driving. I have flown within Germany but I don't recall anyone clapping for the pilot. Maybe the German flights are 100% safe and are not considered a great achievement. But passengers in Air India flights are too discourteous not to applaud the pilot when the plane lands safely because that is a feat and with Air India you can always expect the unexpected.

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Susri there are responsible drivers and there are reprehensible drivers. Responsible ones who ensure that you reach your destination safely deserve all the applause they get. But most of the public transport drivers tend to fall in the second catagory. The notorious blueline bus drivers in Delhi contribute considerably in reducing the city's population. At least a couple of guys come under the wheels of these buses every day in the city.Years ago the Pallava Transport Corporation of Chennai announced a bonus for bus drivers who reach their destination in time. The result was a no-holds-barred race in which hapless hassers=by were killed and Pallava came to be known as Kollava (Come to kill)!. Mercifullly, the state government withdrew the bonus to save lives.