1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

stammering at 2 years

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by DGcreative, Jul 25, 2012.

1. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Dear All

My son is 2.3 years & apart from being slightly under-weight & Calcium Deficiency when he was 1.5 years, touchwood, he doesnt have any other problems. He is reaching almost all his milestones in-time or sometimes even before time.

He started talking single words when he was around 9-10months & started talking proper sentences around 24 months. Its been a month & he is stammering at times which is worrying me a lot. He started talking quite normally & I dont understand why he is stammering now. Is it normal & he will stop doing it or should I be worried & consult pead? I actually on my last visit did mention to our pead about it, but when she tried talking to him, he was talking quite normal without stammering. Now last 2 days I find the stammering has increased.

Please suggest. I am very worried.

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear DGcreative...
    Please check if anything is bothering him?

3. DGcreative

I am not sure VJbunny, he has started his playschool recently (just yesterday), but much before it started he was all excited to go to school. He would keep telling everybody at his day care that he would be going to school now. So I am ruling that out. Other than that I dont feel there is anything else, but lately he is showing a lot of anger, he starts crying hysterically for anything denied to him. Has become very fussy for clothes (but that I feel its my MIL who shows him clothes & asks you want to wear this...no...ok how about that & it goes on).

What else could it be...???? I am really really worried.

4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi DgCreative...
    This points out that there must be something on his mind... You need to have a relaxed one to one tet-e-tat it will help you ... prepare his favcourite food and take him to your room and ask him gently ....
    May be he has some issue with something in the new school...

1 person likes this.
  5. DGcreative

Can children sense if people around them are upset? Per my earlier posts, we dont have a healthy conversation with each other at home. Its me who speaks to him the most & its more in play-way. Whenever we are together we play "we are buddies" game or boxing fights, or story telling where I start the story with him popping last words in each sentence. We also spend time coloring together.

But otherwise at home me n MIL barely talk. We dont have showdowns really, so its not as if my son has experienced something. Twice he saw me crying but I immediately gathered myself & we started our usual masti stuff. But he is a real sensitive child, like when I had severe back pain & he saw my DH apply cream, when my DH wasnt around, my son tried to do the same & said now it wont hurt u.

Anyway I will take him to paed may be tonight or in this week itself.

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear DGcreative
    Yes they do sense it...

You have very sensitive lovely kid dear... God Bless you...

Thats good dear take him to doctor...
    Wish You Good luck

1 person likes this.
  7. DGcreative

Hi. Just to update, I consulted his doc who asked me to take note if there is particular pattern or situation where he stammers & also not to correct him or shout at him when he stammers. I did not really find particular situation, like he would stammer when he is excited one time, but other time he would not. One family friend suggested he might have got scared of something. I tried talking to him about it but nothing fruitful came out as he is too young. But I started one thing, whenever he used to refuse to eat or sleep, we used to tell him boogeyman will come & stuff. I told him now the boogeyman has gone away & wil not come back. I've been telling him this since past week, & touchwood, he has stammered lesser in the last two days. I just hope and pray he stops stammering altogether.

1 person likes this.
  8. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

hi dgcreative,
    Im a speech therapist, stammering is a part of speech and language devlopment, as your paed said its more when your child is anxious, upset, exicited etc, just ignore it, talk a lot with your child, provide a lot of speaking oppurtunities that will do, hope this helps.
    Dheepa.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
    2 people like this.
  9. DGcreative

10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear DGcreative...
    Thats great and thank you for updating dear