1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stalking From India/cyberstalking

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Reena26, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Reena26

Reena26 Bronze IL'ite

Hey ladies!

Anybody in the USA - what would you do if your mother in law is trying to stalk your family from India? Your son who is 7? Without permission. Would you report it to anybody? Incidences include adding herself to our homeowners association page on Facebook without permission - she is not a resident. Following me on Social media like finding out I have an Instagram account when I tried to keep it private. Tracking our flight details if we go on vacation here from India. Things that i am not comfortable with. When she was here - listening to my son at night when he would wake up at age 4 - at 2am at night. Following me when here to make me uncomfortable. Because it’s still ongoing from there.

Similar Threads
    1. jmsd
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I would actually be proud of a senior citizen who is so tech-savvy!

FB homeowner association page: if non-residents can join it, that is a huge security flaw. Admins should manage the group better. People tend to share lots of personal details in homeowner assoc. groups such as garage issues, times they are away from home, and much more. I would be grateful MIL found this security issue.

Instagram following -- Simple. There is no such thing as anonymity on the internet.

Flight tracking -- It is good to share itinerary with a close friend or family when traveling. Don't share with those that you don't want to.

Frankly, tracking flights and listening to grandchild when he wakes up in the middle of the night are pretty standard things for grandparents to do.

Your annoyance is understandable, but there is not much you can successfully do about it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Mistt likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Open a fake Insta account and keep your real one private.

4. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Generally, if some page or group is public anyone can join and see content...if The home owner association page admins restrict the access after verifying the identity of members and don’t allow non residents to join, that s a possible solution...
    Instagram account - maybe just curiosity to see pics which u upload...
    Don’t post anything on social media that you wouldn’t want your in laws to see...
    See if you can activate privacy settings on FB to give access to certain photo albums to certain groups of people only..
    If you’re concerned about privacy , share pics or messages directly with concerned person like family or friends directly through messaging apps and put only general posts on social media which don’t make any difference to who ever sees it...
    Most of the ladies I know have added their in-laws and in-laws side relatives on all social media accounts..
    Flight details- maybe concern for safety when any family member is travelling... don’t bother about this unless you’re taking some secret vacation or travelling for some confidential reason, in which case don’t share tracking details for that flight...
    It’s not a big deal either when grandparents watch over their grand kid during sleep..they may be reminded of the days when they were new parents and would relieve the moments with grand kids...
    These minor things can be kept aside..
    ( just pray that they don’t get so tech savvy that they too start creating account and posting on IL...and don’t get savvy enough to discover any privacy settings that you may have activated against them)..