1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Stainless Steel For Kitchen Appliances?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Rihana, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Helping a friend buy appliances for the kitchen in their new home. The house is about 6 years old only, but kitchen appliances are very basic (first owner bought it as an investment property). The appliances will work for another 10-20 years maybe, but we (her wise women friends) cautioned her that once they move in, plans to update any thing will remain as plans only. More so, if the man of the house does not believe it is a necessary upgrade.

Their second child just moved to college. So, it is only the couple, and their visiting parents from India who stay for a few months each time. One parent will be moving in with them for good soon.

So, the question is - is it a good idea to have stainless steel appliances in a kitchen where no kids, no pets, lot of vegetarian Indian cooking, lot of scope for finger prints, and cannot lay down too many rules in the kitchen as parents from India are understandably set in their ways.

First appliance to buy will be the cooking range and under-the-cabinet hood. The slide-in kind (no oven underneath). I will be her guide : ) during the long weekend shopping.

Suggestions? Which is better for 30 inch gas cooking range - stainless steel or white? Does the steel get dinged very easily? Like if a nonstick pan's hot lid falls from the hand holding it? Is steel going out of fashion?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017

2. Rihana

I prefer white myself, but steel does look sleek and goes well with any wood color of cabinets or any flooring.

Is it easy to match the steel if one appliance is replaced down the line?

kkrish likes this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I prefer steel appliances. Especially Range with black top is easy to maintain and clean.

justanothergirl, kkrish and Rihana like this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

duplicate post.

5. Rihana

How about the dinging? Do small dents start to appear after few years?

Actually a general question - is the metal of the white and stainless steel or black cooking range the same, and only the finish is different?

jskls likes this.
  6. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

I prefer steel as well, gives a nice classy look..so far havent had problems managing to keep them clean.. should be easy to match them, if need a perfect match better to stick to the same brand..

Rihana and kkrish like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

For the exact reasons you quoted, I will vote for steel.
    I actually moved from white to SS.

sindmani, justanothergirl and Rihana like this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Our appliances are less than an year old. So no dents ...(yet). Black range top seems to be better quality and also thedistance betweek burner and the top surface is more in black top range that does not let any spills char

poovai, kkrish and Rihana like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I second @jskls.
    My range is about three years old. No dents so far.

Rihana and jskls like this.
  10. Rihana

So looks like stainless steel is more preferred. Will go with that then. Or maybe after seeing all finishes, she will choose. We will actually be taking a door from one small cabinet to see how it looks next to the range/hood. : ) LOL, will be like matching saree to blouse in matching center.

The fridge, I am staying out of that purchase. She wants one that stands flush with the cabinets. He wants one that juts out a little. I actually think he is right, as a lot of volume is lost in the flush-standing one. But she cooks very well, and I want to be invited often... so will let them figure out that purchase.

SunPa, poovai, kkrish and 1 other person like this.