1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sridhar Mourns The Death of Sridhar!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 21, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pooja,
    I will actually define a writer's job as all efforts taken by him to grab people's attention.I wanted to pay homage to a great person. As I said to Swetha, had I chosen a prosaic title like "The Great Director Passes Away" our ILites would have seen the title, yawned and would have gone to the handicrafts section or recipes section.
    But honestly Pooja I didn't want to shock you people. I just want you to look up.
    To those who are anxious about my longevity, I have got a boon from my Lord to live till I write a hundred more serials in IL. The next one is about to start in a few weeks.

Thanks for the kind words you have for my writing. And thanks for joining us in paying homage to a great legend.
    love,
    sridhar

2. varalotti

Dear Varloo,
    Thanks for the kind wishes and blessing. When you give your years to me, your life will increase several times the number of years you gave me.

I won't let all of you go so soon. I will write at least a hundred more serials in IL before I am called by my Boss From Above.

If you see Kadhalikka Neramillai you will find that there is virtually no villain, no stunt scene, all cool songs, classy humour and above all great love. Same with Nenjil Or Aalayam. When there is a Love Triangle invariably one of the lovers will be bad. That's the Tamil movie formula. Sridhar broke that.
    And yes, Varloo, we all forgot Uthama Puthiran. The newer one with Shivaji in a Double role and Padmini as his pair. Even now my ears shed tears when I think of the song, Mullai Malar Mele...The lovers will be four feet apart. But the current of love that would pass between them will scorch the audiene sitting five hundred feet away from the screen.

Thanks for joining us in paying homage to the very definition of the word legend.
    love,

Yes, the passing away of Director Sridhar is a real loss. His movies showed us the real love as it should be- unselfish and unconditional. Like your characters in ALS. Sacrifice was the norm for the loved one. No bad feelings in his films and all the characters were good ones. Who could forget Nenjil Oor Aalayam, Nenjam Marappathillai, Kalyana Parisu! In all these, live was not physical but purely divine. And the song, 'Sonnathu neethana?' And 'engirunthalum vaazhga'.
    In the Anandavikatan Depavali Malar, there is an interview with him by Aamir. I am yet to read it.[/quote]

3. varalotti

Same Pinch, my dear Mythili. Coming to think of it, I think it's in a way better that we did not do literature. If instead of an able master, if we had been trapped in the hands of a boring master,we might have even lost our taste and you will not be writing the serial blog "தமிழ் இலக்கியத்தில் சில காதல் காட்சிகள்."
    love,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

Dear VK,

Sorry for giving you the shock. But you see, VK, but for this shock, I would not have had the honour of receiving you in my forum. To have somebody of your stature I am ready to give a hundred shocks like this.

You are right, the word legend will correctly fit the Great Sridhar. He had a style of his own. In those days the Directors will not be properly dressed. Sridhar always used to come clothed in shining white and white dress. He would change the dress three times in a day.

Thanks for blessing me to become a legend.

Palapazhatha thirandu vachaa eeya koopida vendam. Aaana VK mathiri nalla nalla ee ellam varanumna intha maathiri ethaavadu pannathaan venum. sariya?

I am moved by your concern, VK. Thanks for joining us in paying homage to the great Legend.
    love,

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

I am surprised that you did not know about my 'filmy' connections!
    True, in my hurry to post my thoughts, I had forgotten to mention the Vennira Aadai Stars and what stars, Jayalalitha is a name to reckon with by any standards.
    I went several times to see the shooting of Vennira Aadai and in my youthful candor, asked Jayalalitha as to why she is wasting her education and qualifications by joining films!! She politely answered that it was her wish and is what she loved to do. Little did I know where that stardom would lead her!
    As for Hemamalini, don't be so harsh on her. I saw the first photos of Hema with Srikkanth for Vennira Aadai and she looked fantabulous with a half sari and I knew even then that she was going to make it really big. The reason she was replaced was told differently to me by my dad. It seems she refused to emote all that sexiness in the tub-bath scene, actually, she refused to get into the tub and was very shy those days!! That irritated Sridhar who wanted to make his film on his own terms and replaced her with Nirmala...who by the way, was not a great actress either:)
    Anyways, some gossip to much on :))

L, Kamla

6. varalotti

Dear Kamla,
    thanks for filling some gaps in my education. Regarding Hema, my news is only as an outsider. You have given the real reason. No I won't be harsh on the dream girl. When I was in my teens she was having her heyday. And she was my dream girl too.
    Nirmala can do only the side roles. She was beautiful. She hails from my place. (She belongs to the Saurashtra community) Her list of merits stop there.
    Well, you have had the audacity to ask that million dollar question to J. Had she listened to your advice, not only her history, but the history of TN would have been different.
    BTW, I can't help asking this question. I could guess that you should have been a stunner those days. Given your filmy connections someone should have asked you to act. Am I right? And you should have refused, right?
    Take it from me Kamla, if I become a Director like my namesake (which I wont; I love being a writer) then I will surely cast you as the hero's mother. You will fit that role like a glove. And didn't you act in my story ALS playing the role of a mother for both the hero and the heroine?
    ha ha ha
    love,
    sridhar

7. madhumathi1974

madhumathi1974 Bronze IL'ite

Hi bf cum appa,

Appa pls dont ask for forgiveness ur r ours' so no need of it. Iam very happy and ready for new serial. Thanks for ur affection. Yesterday i had seen the photos of banglore and u in that, u r very handsome and maa looks so beautifull as u described kamala she is exactly looks like that.pls convey my regards to her.

U r amazing appa. MAY GOD BLESS U WITH ALL THE STRENGTH U NEED AND HAPPYNESS FOR EVER AND EVER.

bye n takecare,
    ur daughter cum gf,
    madhumathi.

8. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Varalotti Sir,

HELP! <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 22.5pt; HEIGHT: 18.75pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.indusladies.com/forums/images/smilies/drowning.gif" src="file:///C:\Users\DHANAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>Drowning in the deluge of posts following your intriguing (and eye-catching) title, sir. First I miss the get-together of ILites of Bangalore with the Legend, then take my own time in posting a response to a tribute to another Legend!

Having spent my childhood in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> in the early 60s, where everyone from the South was dubbed a 'Madrasi', Tamizh movies were an absolute rarity. Whatever little we knew was by listening to Tamizh songs on the radio and reading 'Pesum Padam'. This too as I was studying in the <st1:place><st1:placeName>MEA</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>High School</st1:placeType></st1:place> (the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Madrasi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Association</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>School</st1:placeType></st1:place>), nowadays TEA HS(TamilNadu Education Assn HS!). The only occasion I recall when a Tamizh movie (PAdikkada Medhai) was screened, was in an open-air quadrangle of the <st1:Street><st1:address>Lodhi Road</st1:address></st1:Street> quarters. When one came down to Madras during the summer vacation, one made the most of it by watching as many Tamizh movies as possible and narrated a scene-by-scene account for the benefit of the not-so-lucky ones.

Of course the name 'Sridhar' was synonymous with 'quality' cinema and all his movies were discussed and well appreciated. I regret not having had the opportunity to watch these movies first-hand. It was only much later when I joined <st1:place><st1:placeName>Presidency</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>College</st1:placeType></st1:place> in <st1:City><st1:place>Madras</st1:place></st1:City> that I got to watch ‘Vennira Aadai’ and ‘Kathalikka Neramillai’ in the threatre as well as the other movies directed by Sridhar, as and when they were released. I am not sure but is ‘Sila Nerangalil Sila Manidargal’ also a Sridhar gem?

Such a loss to the cinema world, Sridhar’s passing away will leave a void that is difficult to fill. Doubtless there are many other brilliant directors but there can only be one Sridar.

Varlotti sir, just like you and your posts and serials.

Padma Srinivas

9. varalotti

Dear Padma,
    I will have to set things right in the beginning. This sridhar, I mean yours truly, is called a legend because of the affection showered on him by the gracious ladies in this wonderful community.
    That Sridhar is called a legend in the truest sense of the term.
    So you didn't miss meeting a legend; you just missed meeting a mofussil accountant who writes in his spare time.
    You have described the plight of South Indians living in Delhi in those days. For them any body who hails from South of Bhopal is a Madrasi.

Silanerangalil Sila Manitharkal is not Sridhar's gem. It's the gem of another very powerful writer Jeyakanthan. It came as a short story with the title Agni Pravesam. Then became a novel under the title Sila Nerangalil Sila Manitharkal. Lakshmi did the lead role. Srikkanth, YGP (YG Mahendran's father) had acted in the movie.

You are right the name Sridhar (I mean the Director sridhar) was synonymous with quality especially in the 50s and 60s. In the latter years he could not produce that kind of quality movies. Azhage Unnai Aaradhikkiren, Thenrale Ennai Thodu were not up to the mark.

He revolutionised the concept of writing dialogues. In those days the dialogues will be in chaste Tamil even if it is not a period movie. Sridhar changed all that and introduced audience-friendly dialogues. Unlike the modern day Directors who first do the casting and then scout for a story, he would have a strong story at hand and then only go for the right people to do the role.

That's the height of your kindness, Padma. My mother (adoptive) was called Padma. (Her full name was Padmasani) So I guess you have the same kind of affection for me. Otherwise words like these would not have come out of you.

thanks a lot for joining us in paying homage to the real legend.
    love,
    sridhar

10. samayal

samayal Silver IL'ite

Sridhar Sir,

Please close your ears and read this. Since I was busy with work I was not active but seeing your thread title it really scared me. I too join my sympathies to Director sridhar's family. I will reply you in couple of days.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008