1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sridhar Mourns The Death of Sridhar!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 21, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aishwarya,
    I wanted our community to pay homage to the great Legend. He was a trendsetter in more ways than one. As I was typing the title the idea entered my mind.
    Sridhar was a refreshing deviation from the past. Realistic dialogues, moving love scenes, hilarious comedy - he shone in every field he touched.
    Kadhalikka Neramillai is one movie which you can watch a hundred times and yet you won't be bored.
    thanks for joining me in paying the homage.
    love,
    sridhar

2. varalotti

dear meenu,
    you are right. To someone in his sixties or fifties, Sridhar as a name rings a bell. And once the bell rings it rekindles sweet memories of love, sacrifice, sentiments and humour. Sridhar brought richness to the lives and hearts of many. Thats the reason he died rich - in the same sense you wrote.
    thanks for joining me in paying homage to a legend.
    love,

3. varalotti

Dear Supriya,
    Thanks for joining me in paying homage to the Legend. All his movies were different, most of them were hits and memorable. Even now you can see Kadhalikka neramillai - forty years after it was first released. But I don't think you can sit through any other movie released in the year 1968. That's his greatness.
    love,

4. varalotti

Dear Indhu,
    You are very careful. While responding to ALS you used to write Dear Sridhar. But in this thread you have used the words Dear Varalotti.

No, no NO NO. YOU CAN'T DO THAT. You see I am a person with a weak heart. And I can't even bear to see that title. I'll be the worst MCP in this issue. You can't and you shouldn't do that. ha ha ha.

You are right. The last- minute twist was Sridhar's speciality. In Kalyana parisu he brought every one to the edge of the seat and normally cliff-hangers have a happy ending. He deviated from this tradition and gave a tragic ending to the movie. Nenjil Or Alayam was a class of its own.

Sridhar is dead! Will we get another Sridhar! No, for a long, long time to come. May his soul rest in peace.
    love,

5. varalotti

Dear Swetha,
    Thanks for joining in.

One day or other I would love to do something like that. But looks like people would pounce on me if I do that. Even for this thread I got a few stinkers from my GFs. And you saw what my DW has written. I will have to keep away from all these.

Kadhalikka Neramillai, Kalyanaparisu, and Nenjil Or Aalayam came even before your mother was born. When a scene in one of those movies impresses you, a representative of the new, young generation, then that shows the Director's greatness.

Director Sridhar might have been just a mortal like this Sridhar. But his movies are surely immortal. They will live for ever. And Swetha I am sure your grand daughter would be laughing at the scene you have mentioned - Nagesh narrating the story to Baliah.

love,

6. varalotti

Dear Usha,
    If you watch Kalyanaparisu once, it will be haunting you for several days. And they say that was his Directorial debut. The songs were simply superb. Pattukkottai Kalyanasundaram had penned those immortal lyrics.
    Especially the song where the mother sings to her son during Deepavali. She would ask him "I have given so many things to you, what are you going to give me in return?"
    After a while she would answer the question as only a typical mother can do.
    "வல்லமை சேர நல்லவனாக வாழ்ந்தாலே போதுமடா."
    Thanks for joining in.
    love,

7. varalotti

Dear Devika Mol,
    Thanks for joining us in mourning the death of a legendary figure, someone who redefined the concept of dialogues, love and humour on the celluloid.
    love,

8. varalotti

My Dear DD,

There are so many things in me that I want to get rid off. I tried my level best to do it, but can't. I have sought HER help. It's now in HER hands. When that happens I would be opening a thread of celebration.

Love triangle was his forte. But his stories were way different. Kadhalikka Neramillai is considered the standard for a humour-film even today. When Baliah asks Nagesh in a trembling voice, "என்னது ஒரு பொண்ணுள்ள கண்ணா" the whole theatre will be shaking in laughter.

Thanks for joining us in paying homage to the legend.
    love,

9. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Sridhar

I have also seen the movies of Sridhar mentioned by you. Those
    movies can never be forgotten. As Saraswathi has mentioned
    I wish u all the best to become a Director.

I also join u in mourning the demise of the great Director Sridhar.
    May his soul rest in peace.

with love and blessings

viji

10. varalotti

Dear Viji,
    Thanks joining me in paying homage to a legend. Yes, those movies could never be forgotten. In fact it was my aunt who unable to forget him after seeing the movie Kalyanaparisu named me after him.
    And thanks for your kind blessings, Viji. I would rather love to be a writer. You know a writer has greater freedom with his characters, than a Director has with his actors.
    thanks for joining us, once again.
    love,
    sridhar