Sri Ramanuja, the Srivaishnava saint and social Reformer

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Aug 16, 2007.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Ramanuja renouncing world and obtaining sanyas

One day Ramanuja and Periya Nambikal had gone out. Thanjamambal went to fetch water from the well for cooking. Periya Nambikal’s wife also came to fetch water. Simultaneously both of them put their vessels in the well to draw water. While drawing up the vessel with water, drops of water fell on Thanjamambal’s vessel from Periya Nambikal’s wife’s vessel. Thanjamambal got very angry. She shouted at the lady,” Don’t you have eyes? Do you think that because your husband is the guru of my husband you are superior to me? You belong to a much lower caste of parenthood. My father belongs to higher caste of Vaishnava. The water fell from your vessel into my vessel and I could not use it now. It is written in my fate that I have to tolerate all these things because of my husband.”
    Periya Nambikal’s wife felt very much humiliated, but she told Thanjamambal that she regretted for what had happened and requested to pardon her. Then she went inside and started crying. When Periya Nambikal returned home he was surprised to find his wife crying. When he came to know the reason he also felt very much hurt. Ramanuja had not yet returned home, but Periya Nambikal left for Srirangam without waiting for him.
    When Ramanuja returned home he came to know all that had happened from the neighbours. He got very angry with Thanjamambal. Another incident also happened that made him both angry and sad. A poor Brahmin went to Ramanuja’s house and asked for food as he was very hungry. Thanjamambal was already in bad mood due to the morning’s incident and so she scolded the Brahmin and drove him away. Ramanuja happened to see him and he felt very sad that his wife had sent him away without serving food. He devised a plan to make his wife serve him food. He wrote a letter in his father in law’s name and gave it to the Brahmin and told him to tell his wife that he brought a letter from her father. He also bought some fruits and flower and told the Brahmin to give it to his wife telling her that her father had sent them. As he expected the trick worked and Thanjamambal invited the Brahmin inside the house and served him food. Ramanuja came home a little later and his wife showed him the letter and asked him to read and tell her what was written in the letter. Ramanuja told her that her father had written that her younger sister’s marriage was fixed and they both should come to help him. Even if Ramanuja was unable to come, at least he should send Thanjamambal. Ramanuja told her that he got important work and she could go at once. Thanjamambal was very happy to hear this and so she left for her parent’s house.
    Ramanuja was very much pained with Thanjamambal’s behaviour. Because of her rude behaviour his guru left his house in his absence. He went to Lord Varadaraja’s temple and poured out his sorrowful thoughts. He told the Lord that his wife always behaved against his wishes. It was difficult for him to lead a peaceful life with her and so he wanted to shun Illaram and become a sanyasi. In front of Lord Varadaraja he put on Khashaya vasthram and also took hold of Thridhandam. Lord Varadaraja had blessed him and ordered him to stay at the Mutt situated at the eastern entrance of the temple. Ramanuja was very happy and he was on his way to the mutt. When he was crossing the Thirukkulam that was called Ananthasaras located at the eastern entrance of the temple, Thirukachi Nambikal also came there. When he saw Ramanuja in the robes of Sanyasi, he felt that his thejas had grown a thousand fold. He felt that he was the best of all sanyasis and conferred him the title “Yathirajar” meaning king of yathis. Ramanuja started living in the mutt and was doing kaimkaryam to Lord Varadaraja. People admired Ramanuja as his face shone like the Sun because of his profound knowledge and wisdom. Both young and old alike became his disciples. . Ramanuja’s nephew Dasarathi obtained dhiksha from Ramanuja and then was known as Mudaliyandan. Kurathazvar also became the disciple of Ramanuja.

To Be Continued

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I am sorry for not replying you on the day it was posted. Some problems in the computer hindered my action.

See God's thiruvilaiyaadal! To make Ramanujar take sanyasam earlier, He made his wife a die-hard practioner of the aachaarams during those days which made Ramajunar hate the family life and go out and get the 'sanyasam life' for which he is intended!
    But the idea of giving letter through a friend and made this happen, is superb!
    Even in those days it has prevailed, gave me surprise!
    Keep going, Mrs. Pushpa!
    Sriniketan

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Hi Sriniketan,
    Thank you for your FB which encourages me to continue this thread. Even if a single person shows inerest it energises me . I was busy for the last few days and didn't have time to go through IL. Hence I couldn't post reply.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Yadava Prakasa accepting Ramanuja as his guru

One day Yadava Prakasa’s mother came to have darshan of Lord Varadaraja. She saw Ramanuja coming surrounded by his disciples. She was very much impressed with his divine qualities and thejas. She wanted her son to become Ramanuja’s disciple. She went home and told Yadavaprakasa about Ramanuja’s greatness and that she wanted him to become his disciple. Yadava Prakasa straight away refused and told his mother that it was not possible for him to become Ramanuja’s disciple. He felt it was below his dignity to accept him as guru as Ramanuja himself was his disciple for a long time.
    , Though he refused his mother’s suggestion, Yadava Prakasa had become restless He remembered how Ramanuja used to contradict him when his definitions were wrong to some of the scriptures. He also remembered that only Ramanuja was successful in curing the princess and driving away the evil spirit. Further he was not satisfied with the Adhvaida siddantha that he was following. He was in a dilemma and was not sure what to do. He went and met Thirukachi Nambikal and solicited his advice. Thirukachi Nambikal also told him to accept Ramanuja as his guru for he would benefit a lot in this world and also the next world. Yet Yadava Prakasa was not convinced. That night he had a dream in which a saint appeared and told him to follow the advice of Thirukachi Nambikal.
    Next morning Yadava Prakasa went to the mutt where Ramanuja was staying. Ramanuja was very much pleased to see his guru and offered him a seat with great reverence. In his khashaya robes and with his thiruman kappu at his forehead and the shanku charka mudras on his shoulders Ramanuja had a divine look. Yadava Prakasa’s ego got shattered and he looked at Ramanuja with admiration. Yet he wanted to clarify some of his doubts.
    He asked Ramanuja whether there was any convincing evidence in sastras for wearing thirumankappu and for initiating the insignia of sanku chakram at the shoulders.
    Ramanuja turned to Kurathazvar and told him to answer Yadava Prakasa’s question. Then Kurathazvar told Yadava Prakasa, “ Sama veda is supposed to be the best of the Chatur Vedas. Even Lord Krishna says that among Vedas he is Samaveda! It is depicted in Sama Veda that Brahmins should initiate sanku chakram on the shoulders other than wearing sacred thread. They would attain Brahma lok through the blessings of Brahma. In Thiruman kappu the thiruman symbolize the lotus feet of Lord Vishnu and the red Srisurnam symbolizes Laksmi. Lord Sriman Narayan showers His Blessings on those who surrender to him and He is the one who could give moksha to all who surrender to Him.” Further he gave proof from other scriptures also. Kurathazvar Explained so well that Yadava Prakasa was spell bound. Instantly he fell at the feet of Ramanuja and beseeched him to forgive him for all the sins he had committed against him.
    He prayed to accept him as his disciple and show him the right path. Ramanuja hugged him with affection and he also initiated him to Sanyas ashram after performing the Pancha samskaras to him. He gave him the name Govinda Jeer. He told him that he had become purified and looked like a crystal. He also told him to write a book on the topic, “The duty of sanyasis.” At the age of eighty Yadava Prakasa wrote the book “ Yathi Dharma Samuchayam,” and dedicated it at the feet of Ramanuja. Ramanuja’s fame reached far and wide.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  5. Sriniketan

Dear Mrs. Pushpavalli,
    Guru became a Sishyan! what a turn of events in one's life. If it is for good no problem.

As for Sanku and Chakram, my cousin was married recently and was initiated along with his 2 brothers before he took off with his wife to Australia. I indeed was overwhelmed by the acts of my uncle and aunt in this matter and also appreciated their efforts regarding this!

sriniketan

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sriniketan,
    Really it is wonderful and heartening to hear that your recenly married cousin agreed to go through this ritual of samarshranam. Your uncle and aunt are really a blessed couple to have their wish fulfilled!
    And thank you for reading the post and posting your FB that boosts and encourages me.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Sri Ranganathar conferring the Thirunamam Udaiyavar on Ramanuja
    Both Mudaliyandan and Kurathazvar were staying in the mutt with Ramanuja. They felt that they were very much blessed to be with him and to hear the Divya Prabandam and Sanskrit scriptures’ meanings from Ramanuja.
    Ramanuja felt the absence of his brother Govindan who saved his life during the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Benares</st1:place> trip. During his visit to <st1:place>Benares</st1:place> with Yadava Prakasa, one day when he was taking bath in the <st1:place>Ganges</st1:place>, Govindan got a Lingam in his palm. He showed it to Yadava Prakasa and others. Yadava Prakasa told him that he was blessed to get the Lingam and it showed that Lord Siva was very much pleased with him. As he got the lingam in his palm Yadava conferred him the name, “ Ullankai konarntha Nayanar.” While returning from Benares Govindan asked the permission of Yadava to install the Lingam in a temple. He went to Kalahasthi and after installing the Lingam, he stayed there and was performing puja at the temple as the head priest.
    In the mean while Periya Nambikal came to know that Ramanuja had obtained sanyas and was staying at the mutt. He wanted to fulfill Alavandar’s wish of inducting Ramanuja as the Peetathipathi at Srirangam mutt. He earnestly prayed to Lord Ranganatha that he should somehow bring Ramanuja to Srirangam. Then he heard
    the voice of Lord Ranganatha telling him to send Thiruvaranga Perumal Araiyar, the son of Alavandar, who would be able to enthrall Lord Varadaraja, (The Perarulaala Perumal) with the chanting of the meaningful and beautiful verses of Prabandam. Then pleased with the Divine music, the Lord would tell him to ask for a boon. Then he should ask for Yathiraja to accompany him to Srirangam. Ramanuja would not agree to come to Srirangam until Lord Varadaraja gave the permission
    Thus Thiruvaranga Perumal Araiyar was sent to Kanchi ro accomplish this task. He went to the temple and started chanting the Divya Prabandams in ecstatic manner with deep devotion. Lord Varadaraja was very much impressed and pleased and he told Araiyer to ask for a boon. Araiyar who was waiting for the opportunity, instantly said that except Ramanuja he did not want anything else. Though Lord Varadaraja very much regretted to be separated from his most beloved devotee, he could not break his promise. Thirukachi Nambikal who was a witness to see all that had happened was bewildered. Thiruvaranga Perumal’s happiness knew no bounds. He felt so happy that he was successful in his mission. He decided to return to Srirangam with Sri Ramanuja. Both Mudaliyandan and Kurathazvar also accompanied Ramanuja. Thirukachi Nambikal who was now eighty years old cried like a child when Ramanuja left for Srirangam with his two disciples
    There at Srirangam people gave Ramanuja and his two disciples a rousing welcome. They were taken to Lord Ranganatha’s temple with great honour and Periyanambikal lead them to Lord’s Sannadhi. Yathirajar who did not had darshan of Lord Rangantha during his last visit due to Alavandar’s sad demise, now had darshan of the Lord with great thirst. He was bewitched with Lord’s beauty and Grace. Lord Ranganatha conferred him another title Udaiyavar, by calling him as, ‘ Em Udaiyavare!’ Since then Ramanuja was called Udaiyavar also. Ramanuja’s eyes were filled with tears of joy and he told Periya Nambikal that because of him only he was bestowed with Lord Ranganatha’s infinite Grace. Periya Nambikal took him to the mutt and arranged for his stay there. Thus Alavandar’s wish was fulfilled.
    Periya Nambikal told Ramanuja that the wishes of Azwars should be fulfilled. He should look after Lord Ranganatha’s temple and give guidance in all matters regarding the <st1:place><st1:placeType>temple</st1:placeType><st1:placeName>rituvals</st1:placeName></st1:place> and festivals. Hence Ramanuja listed what all to be done during daily puja, (Nithyothsavam) monthly festivals, (Masothsavam) Seasonal Festivals, (Paruvothsavam), and yearly festivals (Samvathsarothsavam). He made all arrangements accordingly.
    One Akalanga Nattazvan who was at Srirangam was doing Kaimkaryam to Ramanuja. Periya Nambikal stayed with Ramanuja at the mutt and and he explained the meaning of dvaya manthram to Ramanuja.
    One day a srivaishnava named Thiruvarangathu Amudanar approached Ramanuja and told him that while he was doing kaimkaryam at the temple he had committed sins and he wanted to do prayachitham for the same and Ramanuja should do the needful. Ramanuja told Akalanga Nattazvan to teach him the right things and purify him.
    Amudanar’s mother had the key of the Lord Ranganatha’s temple. She attained the feet of the Lord and so the key was handed over to Ramanuja. From then onwards Ramanuja had taken over the full administration of the temple.

8. Sriniketan

Mrs. Pushpavalli,
    Nicely written.
    Reading how Lord Ranganathan played with Lord Varadarajar to get Ramanujar to SriRangam!
    I think this is the perfect 'Thiruvilaiyaadal'.

sriniketan

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sriniketan,
    Thank you. There are more turns and twists in Ramanuja's story and many more Thiruvilayadals.Your FB is the one I am always looking forward to after posting. I am just contemplating to request Malathy to provide me the blog where I'll post AzwarkaL Charitham as you had suggested sometime before, but yet to decide. What is your opinion?
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  10. Sriniketan

Mrs.Pushpa,
    Go ahead and do the same. I think that is a great idea where many people can read and get to know about Alwars and give you FBs which will be more encouraging to post more articles in that line.

sriniketan