1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Sravana Masam శ్రావన మాసము

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by Mullapudi, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Mullapudi

Mullapudi Junior IL'ite

Sravana masam , is the holy month worshiped by the hindu married ladies for the blessings of Goddess Sri Maha Lakshmi.who is considered to be the abode of wealth and prosperity.Some say that importance of this vratam was told by lord shiva to parvati devi to gain wealth and prosperity.
    Varalakshmi vratam is usually performed in the month of Sravana masam on the Friday preceding the full moon day(i.e 2nd friday).

when i was in my schooling ,we have enacted in a Ballet for the "Varalakshmi vratam", choreographed by well known dancer Anupama kailash, in shilparammam. The one thing that reminds me of her is that , the grace, feel, the steps, balley design and atlast her Sharp eyes,conveys everything through . Lovely!!:)

The Ballet is goes like this " A very pious lady Charumati who was asked by goddess Varalakshmi, in her dream, to do the vratam in-order to fulfill her wishes. The next morning she performed the vratam along with other ladies in her village with a lot of devotion. There by pleasing goddess with their love and offered the deity lots of delicacies ,once the vratam was completed,they were amazed to find their bodies decked with expensive jewels and their homes full of riches."Anupama kailash has wonderfull depicted the village atmosphere and the importance of the vratam to us in this Ballet. Thankfull to her.!!

we wake up Early morning clean our homes and decorate their front yards with rangolis.After taking head bath & deck ourselves with beautiful clothes and jewelery, it takes a lot time!! but we are on time for pooja.Then begin the process of performing the vrata by first arranging the kalasha or the sacred pot.Fill the pot with rice and water which symbolize prosperity and cover it with mango and betel leaves.

Place a coconut smeared with turmeric and vermallion on the kalasha and also decorate the coconut with a new cloth plus decorate the kalasha with many kinds of jewels to make it look more beautiful.Then place this kalasha on a plate filled with rice. The main pooja begins by worshiping Lord Ganesha who is believed to drive away all obstacles and evil forces.

Later, goddess Mahalakshmi is invoked into the kalasha. Then worship a couple of torams (a bunch of nine threads with nine knots), tie one to the kalasha ,i tie the first thoram to my mom and viceversa. Later, we chant the Lakshmi Ashtottara Shatanamam (a list of hundred names in praise of the deity) with a lot of devotion. After pooja is completed here comes the offering to the goddess with nine varieties of delicacies including both sweets and savories. In conclusion of the vratam, we sing hymns in praise of goddess Varalakshmi and also invite another married woman "assuming her to be goddess Varalakshmi and offer her sweets". That evening, we invite all the family friends and our cousins to our home and offer them tamboolam (an offering consisting of betel leaves, fruits, betel nuts, vermillion, turmeric and dakshina [money]). we collectively sing songs in praise of goddess Varalakshmi Devi.

pattu Langa( traditional dress for kids) was my favourite outfit for the occasion.
    The varalakshmi vratam still reminds me with a warmth where i was carrying a little basket collecting blossom flowers to my neighbours house having lots of gossips and returning to home with loads of flowers,those days were memorable.

2. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

very detailed explanation about Sravanamasam and its importance.
    The picture of goddess luks great.