1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Spring garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by HJoshi, Feb 6, 2010.

1. HJoshi

HJoshi New IL'ite

Hi,
    Spring is starting. I want to start a vegetable garden in my patio. Last year I tried out tomatoes but it was late and I got 10-12 tomatoes before the end of season. I want to start at the right time this year. Please help me out as to when should I start seeds/plant seeds and which variety should I use.

I want to try out tomatoes, eggplants this year plus any 2 moreveggies you would suggest for me. Please advice.

2. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

1) How abt methi leaves (I saw some of the posts here itself abt growing methi) and too by someone in US - so I sure u will get a really good outcome

2) Pumpkin - i think thats one of the kost nutricious veggies and so much easy to grow!

3) And may be you should plant a bitter gourd easily grown and so much full of iron and nutients!

3. HJoshi

HJoshi New IL'ite

Hi,
    Yes I saw the post and immediately sowed methi. The idea abt.aluminium foil was gr8.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I was talking to a local (successful) farmer recently and he was talking about how you have to sow your seeds when there is enough sun for germination. On the seed packets here will list your area and the timing for sowing and you should follow it. If its too early or too late your crop will not be successful or as successful. If you sow too early it will rot before germination. According to him its all about sun and not temperature.

5. smitarubinsson

smitarubinsson Gold IL'ite

Wait till the begining - mid march to sow tomato seeds,
    Eggplants, chillies can be sown now as they need a long growing season.

6. HJoshi

HJoshi New IL'ite

We had irregular rains and cold weather for few weeks. I have bought eggplant and chilli seeds and dying to sow them. The weather is very weird here, so wasn't sure if I can still sow eggplant and chilli seeds.

Will bad weather affect the growth of plant from seeds?

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

On the back of the seed packet is a chart on when to sow (plant) your seeds in your area. Follow that. The seed company will have the best information on each variety. Some varieties have a short growing season, some long, some early, some regular time. If you plant too early the seeds might just rot or the plant die off. Our latitude determines these things.

8. smitarubinsson

You can start off chillies and egg plant seeds indoors.
    This is how i do it- Take a 3" pot fill it wih compost scatter the seeds and cover the seeds with a thin layer of compost. immerse the pot into a tray of water this helps to wet the compost and also by doing it this way the seeds are not washed away. Cover the pot with cling film and leave in a bright sunny place to germinate it can take upto 3 weeks in case of chillies.
    Remove the cling film and when most of the seeds have germinated.
    transplant into individual seed tray/ pot once the plant has 2 sets of leaves, by lifting by the leaves only.

9. HJoshi

HJoshi New IL'ite

Thanks. How many seeds should I put in each pot? Please tell me for both eggplant and chillies. Where can I get the cling film and which compost should I buy?

10. smitarubinsson

FOr a 3" pot you can put 8-10 seeds as all will not germinate.

Cling film is a very thin plastic that comes in a roll and is found in all supermarkets .
    I you don't have any you can use anything that will let light through like clear sheet of glass or translucent packaging(secured with a rubberband around the pot ) or clear lids of pots etc.
    Compost is available in all nurseries or supermarkets (UK/US)