1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spouse - The Truth About Marriage

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Priya_Mommy, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    Do you believe in Institution of marriage??
    If so, its a must read for all of you!!!!!!!No wonder you will stuckup to the book as soon as you start.
    I must admit I started reading Shobha De’s Spouse-the truth about marriage more out of curiosity than out of any literary interest.Curiosity because by no stretch of imagination could I relate Shobha
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- OAS_AD('Middle'); //--> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-4251496417805340";/* review-m-300-250-books */google_ad_slot = "9689465578";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- OAS_AD('Right'); //--> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-4251496417805340";/* review-r-160-600-books */google_ad_slot = "0616719959";google_ad_width = 160;google_ad_height = 600;//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
    De and a serious essay on marriage. I was certain that at best she must have made certain flippant remarks on the futility of marriage considering the fact that she has made a mockery of the institution in most of her previous novels.

After reading the novel, I feel the following four points form its essence:

Firstly, do not enter into a marriage for the sake of marriage. The Indian society still raises eyebrows at spinsters above thirty. There are whispers all around: Why hasn’t she got married? Is something wrong with her? And to avoid answering embarrassing questions, parents get their daughter married off to the first person that comes along. Not surprisingly, nine out of ten such marriages are disasters.

Secondly, mutual respect is an important component of a successful marriage. If your so-called friends publicly ridicule your partner then it is best to sever your ties with them, because you are better off without such ‘friends’.

Third, try to understand your ma in law. She is not the monster that she is made to be. Accept the fact that she is your husband’s mother and has known him longer than you have. So, she is bound to be possessive of her son. Instead of resenting it, you should tactfully manage her, and in time your relations with her will definitely improve. Avoid confrontation as much as possible but this does not mean that you have to take everything quietly. Protest when you feel she is being unfair.

Last but not the least, try to be hundred percent honest and committed to the relationship. Try resolving your differences to the maximum extent possible. Divorce should be the last resort.

Shobha De has shown a tremendous sense of loyalty by acknowledging Induben, her ex ma-in-law, as one of her inspirations in penning this book. That her relations with Induben are still cordial speaks a lot for her nature.

The last sentence given on the back of the book sums it up perfectly-
    “Fun, savvy and, above all, pragmatic, this is the ultimate relationship book for all those who want to make the adventure of marriage last a lifetime.”

2. RadhaG

RadhaG Senior IL'ite

Hi!

Nice post.....I like Shobha De' books, mainly because they are so straight from the heart and sans pretenses!

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Priya
    Thanks for giving a review of the book.Am yet to start reading De.
    About

"'try to understand your ma in law. She is not the monster that she is made to be. Accept the fact that she is your husband’s mother and has known him longer than you have. So, she is bound to be possessive of her son. Instead of resenting it, you should tactfully manage her, and in time your relations with her will definitely improve. Avoid confrontation as much as possible but this does not mean that you have to take everything quietly. Protest when you feel she is being unfair."

I does the same,I compares my relation with mother and thinks how do I feel when someone tries to snatch me away from my mom and her care:)

Radha can you suggest me a De book to start with...coz always the first impression does make a great impression though not always the best.

4. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Hi Priya, Thanks for reviewing the book,i will surely read it, & your observations are commendable. These are contributory factor for a good marriage. Jaya

5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Priya Dear

Some one gave me this book as a gift for my wedding :)

Anyways I did try to read few pages but some how couldnt digest few things that happen in marriages .....I didnt get chance to read the rest of the book and its just some where in the shelf... :)

however among the above points you posted...

Secondly, mutual respect is an important component of a successful marriage. If your so-called friends publicly ridicule your partner then it is best to sever your ties with them, because you are better off without such ‘friends’.

Do we have to blame the friends or the spouse??? no one would comment on our spouses if we dont give a chance, the moment we give that chance / lineance every Tom Dick and Harry would talk about the spouse....so first of all that kind of control should be imposed on us by ourselves....no matter what the fights are...what the misunderstandings are...what tough times we are going through....never complain / trash your spouse in front of your friends / colleagues

6. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hi RadhaG,
    Thank you verymuch for your comments!! Yes I too like her books.

7. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hi Jaya,
    Thank you very much for your fb. yes, give a try and let me know what you liked in this book.

8. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hi Srividya,
    Good catch out of point#2. Even I too got this query but why to blame our own respectives is my point. Yes, Donot trashout our respectives infront of friends or any close relatives for the sake of your ego. That is heights of stupidity if we does. So, just dont give a chance or dont allow them to enter your personal space. Try to control emotions infront of them!! If there are any problems in marriage, we need to work on it, nobody comes to our rescue.