1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spouse & Son - A Steal

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:SPOUSE & SON-A STEAL :hello:

When the moment I discovered and concluded with the observations I had made, it was already 7 o’clock. I was in two minds whether to disclose my observations immediately to Raji - my better-half. After her wash, around half past seven she came downstairs. As my son was to leave for his office in the next half an hour, I thought it would be wise to keep quiet lest both would be perturbed and lose peace of mind.While she was setting up the table, I remained busy in the kitchen preparing dosa for our breakfast.

At this juncture in a soft voice, Raji called me from a distance and pointed to a mini-size-soiled-blue-bordered-towel adjacent to the storewell and close to a heap of pell-mell clothing. She wondered how it came there or who had left it. She grew suspicious of the towel and on the spot decided to open and check the storewell and then immediately noticedwhat was amiss. Noticing her silk sarees and blouses lying on the mattress, Raji told that someone had removed them from the Hamburg flexi travel bag and kept it aside and the stranger might have used that flexi bag to carry the swag. She rushed to the store room and hurriedly checked deep into the rice stored in a plastic drum and took out green velvet jewel box. When she opened and found box emptied of her precious jewels, got shock of her life.

Without showing any emotions, she softly uttered “oh my heirloom – my jewels and necklace!” In a space of ten to fifteen seconds, she concluded that some stranger broke open the house in the night and stole jewels, cash, precious wallet, and wrist watch from our home. While it took for me over ten minutes to conclude some one broke our house and taken away valuables and cash, she discovered theft of the preceding night in few minutes and listed items that had been lost.

While I was marveling at her intelligence, sharp intellect, and quick analysis, she examined the threshold of all entrances and made loud thinking of modus operandi employed in breaking into the house. She discovered the tell-tale marks on the upper portion of the threshold,wherein the polished markings left by the repeated attempts of sharp long flat object inserted between the threshold and upper part of the door. She concluded quickly that how a long Carpenter’s screw-driver had been used to break open the inner door fastenings and keys used for opening the tiger-lock on the steel grille. She outlined everything like a chief executive as to what to do next.

My son arrived from upstairs was briefed by her what had happened. He quickly decided not to seek any help from or lodge a complaint to police. As my debit cards were lost, decided to take me to the Banks’ local branch. He skipped breakfast and quickly collected his office paraphernalia and told me to join with him. He rode me to the bank’s branch in a jiffy.

A lady executive was already present in the branch when time was just nearing 9 ‘clock.

Furnishing my savings accounts and debit cards details, he requested her to help in hot listing cards for which she took less than 5 minutes. He further sought her help to find out whether cards had been misused. She tapped some keys infront of her and my account statement came into view on the screen. We could see at a glance that no damage to the account done yet. We thanked her profusely and came out of bank’s premises.

Before proceeding to his office, he had exercised patience to put me in an auto, to reach me home and before auto commenced pulling, suggested that I should remain calm and composed lest my BP would go up and told me that he would speak to mother.

I then just remembered how he had remained calm and collected in the previous occasion, when my debit card was trapped in the ATM and next morning through net banking, we discovered four withdrawals within a space of ten minutes-two just before midnight and two just after midnight–were made, siphoning out rupees fifty thousand from my savings account.

Entirely family had a shock of our life. At that time, he demonstrated unusual calm and remained unperturbed unusual for boys of his age. I was glad to note that he could maintain his aplomb and plan pragmatic steps and act out in a target oriented manner. Thanks to his research via Google and crisp communication between me and the chairman of the bank, I got all the four debits reversed within a space of three weeks.

Raji for her part prayed intensely.

P.s.When we slept upstairs in ac room, theft had taken place at ground floor in the vee hours. This is sequel to
    A Date With Thief - Watch Live

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

oh oh Thyagarajan sir, what a nightmare. Glad that you were all safe. Just now I read in another thread how calm one should while facing obstacles. Your son and wife are really very calm and smart. Good that you were able to reverse the transactions caused by debit card theft.

I had once witnessed a theft when I was young and the theif had taken most of the jewelry stainless steel items from a neighbor's house. I peeked in out of doubt to found that theft had happened just then. couldnt find the theif though.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Interesting read of a 'steal'- a snippet that steals the show.
    Sometimes we get involved in things that are not concerned with us at all.I am reminded of a strange incident about steal and steel.
    It was the year 1987.We had lived in the house for 25 years,It is small street containing only 9 individual houses. All were very friendly.
    It so happened that the neighbour went abroad,handing over a bunch of keys to us for safe custody. They did not leave any watch man.There was only a fence between the houses and we could clearly see through the fence and notice any untoward movements.

After a lapse of three calm months,one fine morning, a lorry stood in front of our house. The driver tapped at the door.He showed me a receipt for Rs 3500 for a big steel cabinet in the name of the neighbour with address etc in tact. There was no telephone in any of the houses. The driver told me that he has instructions just to keep the cabinet in the hall getting keys from the neighbour. My husband and myself opened the door of the neighbour.The driver along with two coolies carried the cabinet inside the house ,kept it inside the hall and went back. We locked neighbour's house,checked twice and came home.We were wondering why a person would order for a cabinet while being away abroad and what urgency would be there to get a cabinet.
    This thought started killing me day and night. I felt we should have refused to open the door of the neighbour .On the next day myself and husband contacted the police station. Nothing was lost.So we could not lodge any complaint..But we expressed our uneasiness that something was wrong and sought help in case of necessity.

Some 5 days went off. Another lorry was standing in front of our house. This time the lorry was empty.The driver was holding another receipt .The name of the customer was the same but address was similar with interchange of avenue and street numbers.The people wanted to take away the cabinet wrongly delivered at the wrong address.He requested that we could supervise that the cabinet alone is being taken away.My husband left to the police station as I was engaging them in conversation.My wise MIL prepared four cups of hottest coffee and offered them as they were standing inside our compound.My husband came back with two police men in mufty. My husband and myself opened the neighbour's house and the people removed the cabinet .We locked the house.The police men followed the lorry .
    The next day we were called to the police station.What happened is this.

It was a robbery technique. Having known the house to be locked and the neighbours having the key, they have played a trick. The cabinet was new with two people sitting inside.Soon on our leaving, the persons had come out of the cabinet.They had sufficient food and water. for two to three days. As all the windows were closed, they silently removed all the valubles from all the Godrej cabinets in the house
    placed everything in the same place and informed the gang leader through some mobile device .The robbers took their place inside the cupboard.The gang leader sent a lorry driver with two men with another fake receipt.
    As they went back without an iota of doubt,the police with a team followed the lorry, nabbed them and recovered all the valubles. The Inspector thanked us for having entertained suspicion and for informing them.They however warned us against accepting keys even from known persons.Actually initially we, the innocent, thought 'what harm can happen in front of our eyes as the people are only keeping a cabinet in the hall and are going to leave immediately'.The suspicion arose soon on reaching our home. Fortunately after brooding for a day ,we decided to report.Otherwise what would have happened is anybody's guess.On opening the door, the neighbour would have found out the loss and the entire suspicion would have fallen on us.
    My MIL told me not to take things for granted and perhaps we have to keep ourselves in the place of robbers and have a mirror image of their tricks and advised us to be careful and innocence can prove to be a danger at times.
    Jayasala 42

messedup, Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello:Steal of steel ! I enjoyed the narration which remain picturesque and reminds similar happenings with pseudo delivery of Godrej cupboards in and around Ghatkopar, Chedda Nagar & Mulund - all in 1980s when summer vacation on for schools and colleges in then Bombay now Mumbai. Locked houses or and flats were the targets in summer everywhere.

Only difference in the story is that here you and hubby with your mother-in-love suspected informed in good time saved the situation for yourselves and the neighbour.
    My friend’s Neighbour flat owner in Mulund handed over his flat keys went abroad. Robbers from Bihar Camping in the neighbourhood planned similar modes operandi and taken away the swag.
    It took over three months for sleuths of Bombay to nab the day light robbers group at Antop hill near Sion.

Thanks and Regards.

God can at times act as thief in robbing hearts of devotees.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    messedup likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

thank you for your feedback .
    I had attempted the narration of planning and execution of theft by a deserving thief in
    I take it that you had read it.
    2. Another OMG situation - Witnessing a theft in real time is at times could turn dangerous. catastrophic.
    3. Just before bus could reach terminus, halted at signal when few passengers attempted alighting. A man snatched a stuffed wallet from a lady obese passenger and another her mangalsutra at T Nagar Chennai in broad day light near NALLI SILKS. Another man took a long glinting knife looking like sword and shouted. Lady resisted but her neck slashed and another tall and hefty male passenger went in rescue got deeply hurt. conductor, driver & rest of passengers remain stunned spectators and the gang of three jumped into an empty auto with disfigured registration number.
    Regards.

6. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@Thyagarajan Does the incident happened two days back sir?I heard about it from one of my relative at Medavakkam.God is great .He guarded you from those elements

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

Is it a known fact for all the thieves that the golden ornaments will be kept inside the rice and not in the locker? I like your son's attitude to systematically go to the bank and address the loss of credit card first before much damage could be done to your bank account. When there is a theft at home, it is important to identify which were things lost and your wife was systematic in checking all of that to prepare a list. The entry point identification by your wife is marvelous. Generally, it is the cops who do such work. She deserves to be a criminal investigator/forensic scientist to identify clues.

Quicker action is what is the need of the hour in that situation. Feelings and emotions are the way one releases the tension before taking concrete actions as indicated in the "Obstacles" thread.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Thiyagarajan sir,

In fact, you three have dealt with the situation so maturely. I am really sorry for the incident.

Vani

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thanks for the response. God has been protecting my family and I from such dangers.
    2. This incident narrated happened not atMedavakkam and it is sequel to mr previous post
    3. This incident helped us to equip better in many ways. The welders and locksmith spent whole day for attaching reinforcements of metal plates to all six grilles so that from outside lock remain inaccessible.

4. The jewels ultimately traced with help of a lady bank manager who was our friend and she remembered my spouse when the person approached bank for loan.
    Regards.
    God rectifies misfortunes.

periamma likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thanks for your response and appreciation of actions of my son and spouse.
    2. A Date With Thief - Watch Live
    Contains answer for your query about jewels not in locker but in rice.
    3. Being in the outskirts vulnerable to theft and house breaking, spouse always avoids most obvious places. But professional thieves, when they do not find in locker, automatically look for it in inobvious places!
    Regards.
    After the fall of 3rd wicket. It is Dhoni to play against Tahir. India need 86 to win in remaining 18 overs. God is great .9.37 P.M. IST