1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spouse, Sambandhi & Uppuma

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Ouch!! Well it is what it is. I hope both of you enjoyed your hard work ;-) Nice narration @Thyagarajan sir! Enjoyed reading it.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thank you.

Srama likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

:hello: Thanks for reading & lauding.
    Regards.

Srama likes this.
  4. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Feedback is my unerring pastime over other forms of nurtured writing! I enjoy scratching away commentary onto the original writing. Original writing has not been nurtured in me so I hold on to what suits me, that is err on the side of creative caution, write a feedback rather than write a snippet. But you Thyagu are challenging me to indulge in my feedback wandering also with your Gomathi-upstaged uppumu.

Every snippet of yours has a twist in the endgame, this too accorded, not in the form of deus ex machina but in the form of gomathi ex moped, who rescued your sambandhi by serving the breakfast faster than your spouse could source ingredients from a freezer that hosted everything but anything icy.

Airlifting scuttling weevils in rice poured from grain bags and coaxing out worms from cauliflower was the summer delight of children. Today they are called "pests". Back then they were called troublesome pets. Children bottled up the squirmy pets in rasna phials and fondly observed them for days, feeding bits of household garbage. Today's children might find it obnoxious to pull out a worm from cauliflower let alone feeding that bemused creature garbage.

Back in the day, there was a TV programme on Doordarshan called "Wagle Ki Duniya".

upload_2019-1-27_12-23-38.png upload_2019-1-27_12-24-20.png

The well-minded couple would run into unforeseen troubles in their everyday living. Initially baffled, later quick-witted, the couple interpreted their every adversity as essential revelation. They even spot the shahrukh ex machina in their modest lifestyle. Your punctuated narratives resonate with that of Wagle's -- never bogged down but ever upbeat on the turn of events. Gomathi's dosa stole a march over your spouse's uppuma but you might find relief in the fact that it was sambandhi's denture and not the sovereign (human) teeth that arbitrated the hustled breakfast.

Spouse, Sambandhi & that Uppuma boiled in davara isn't another potboiler of a writing. Your fussed over details to gratify the sambhandhi would cheer up and convince even Wagle that family values though bested by unforeseen reckonings like Gomathi are worthwhile undertakings between the good-humored spouses.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Thyagarajan, jskls and Viswamitra like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

@Novalis
    Thank you .
    2. Reading through your feedback was akin to studying a huge review by a veteran columnist in Washington Times and New York Times. The style reminded me of Jim Laker Peter Laker- cricket commentator of 1960-70s

3. I am glad that you could tolerate this uppuma anecdote and equated it to Wagle Dhuniya of 1988 - 90 when I happen to watch the episodes almost regularly. It was all late Padmasri RK Laxman’s common man’s predilections. The character of Wagle portrayed predicaments that he looked glum and confused while those who watched him speaking without speaking produced rib tickling laughter all thru. Thanks for the nostalgia. You have made a wonderful comparison of uppuma anecdote with Wagle Dhuniya of almost three decades old. I salute your memory.
    4. Thanks for your wonderful review vis a vis something close to it on small screen.
    I cherish your reviews in general and it is more than just a feedback.
    Regards.

6. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Thyagarajan Sir,

I wonder how I skipped commenting here,:rolleyes: may be I am too preoccupied these days.

As always, this write-up with all the details was enjoyable. Your involvement and efforts weren't really appreciated by your sambandi and unfortunately, the relationship is so delicate that you had swallow your anger or disappointment. Hope both of you enjoyed the upma and coffee at leisure.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thanks @sindmani for making it evident by clicking the LIKE OPTION that you had viewed the post and the thread . Sure you would bless with your valuable FB.
    Regards.

8. Thyagarajan

:hello:We were not angered by the end scene but disappointed though. While he relished filter coffee and promised to taste uppuma for dinner. He is differently Abled!
    Regards.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  9. BoysMom

BoysMom Bronze IL'ite

Enjoyed reading and visualising the kitchen back home. I could relate to hunting my moms fridge for items.
    The whole fridge being used as pantry and even the chilled air would be packed and not let to circulate. Actually the items in the fridge are packed for myself and my sisters family for the whole year, that’s a different story.
    Another scene is letting the milk overflow which I claim as Pongal at my home everyday.

Keen observations,nice eloborations on simple everyday happenings that would definitely unfold in readers mind.

After this post , I definitely need a filter coffee, neither I have a sambandhi or Gomathi to prepare one for me :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

:hello:May I welcome to IL on behalf of all my pals here.
    2. Thanks for the FB EVIDENCING YOUR enjoying the blog for its details.
    REGARDS.

BoysMom likes this.