1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spouse & Me In Chanting Mode

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Spouse & Me In Chanting Mode :hello:

As a senior citizen brimming with inertia, I felt greatly relieved when the Supreme Court of India ordered that for getting welfare benefits from Government, Aadhaar ID is not a must. When I rejoiced telling her of the Supreme Court order, my spouse dismissed it with a click of her tongue.

Following day, being last Sunday of the Aadhaar team camping in nearby school, she desired that I forsake early-morning coffee and be out for getting Aadhaar ID. As desired by her, I dressed up in full trousers and cotton kurtha. Thrusting a handy plastic pouch containing ration card and voter’s id into my hands, she insisted that I carry thailam in bottle to apply over my knee, in case it pains while standing in queue.

I sauntered to the school. The sight of the serpentine queue stretching beyond street-end sank my heart. With deadpan face, I ambled, bit panting toward the tail end. I estimated, by the time I get my turn it may turn out to be dusk. I noticed a small bit of paper in the hands of others relating to page and line number in the voters’ list and learnt the necessity for it.

I felt my knees craving for thailam massage. I requested few, to keep guarding my ‘status’ in the queue and that I would return. I ambled across vast open sandy ground within school precincts.

I recalled my spouse uttering “Narayana” or chanting the verse “Om Namo Bhagavathey Vasudevaya”
    My lips chanting “Om Namo Bhagavathey Vasudevaya..” in silence, I saw people in a huddle on a distant stage. I reached the spot and prised through the huddle and found a woman inspecting the voters’ list and helping to discover page and line number wherein name printed in the voters’ list. I brusquely managed to quickly draw her attention by showing names from my voter id.

As luck would have it, she discovered relevant information for my family in the very same page of voters’ list which she had previously referred to. On a piece of blank paper, she legibly wrote the corresponding page and line numbers for my family and handed to me. I carefully folded and stuffed it into my trousers’ pocket.

A small step completed. The thought of joining and standing in queue enduring ailing knees turned me effete. I switched silent-chanting from ‘Narayana’ to my spouse’s other favourite line “Om Namo Bhagavathey Vasudevaya”.

At closer proximity, I could see a commotion near enlisting room. Some force impelled me to reach the spot with an idea.

In baritone, I ordered the crowd that they all shall stand in queue and seek their turn and lo, the crowd mistook me for Aadhaar staff and obeyed. I was standing erect at threshold of the room. Inside, a wall clock had finished chiming 9 times; and voila - a lady behind desk-top and accessories but out of sight to queue, ushered me to take seat in front. I quickly retrieved from trousers the small slip and showed it to her.

She glanced over it. Compared with her copy of voters’ list, I heard her tapping the keys, I felt rejuvenated and in few minutes, she finished imaging my iris and finger-print.

The sound of printer making an acknowledgement made me ecstatic. She tore out and gave the acknowledgement.

At the back of my mind filter coffee and “Om Bhagavathey Vasudevaya” were still playing thanks to my wife.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    umaakumar, Jaysree, Rihana and 16 others like this.

2. Thyagarajan

:hello:@Archanaanchan @iamsrihere @fourthaugust Thanks to each one of you for viewing the thread and clicking or touching the LIKE button.
    Regards.
    HAPPYNEW YEAR.

3. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Pleasure is all mine sir. Its indeed a beautifully written write up. Its an anonymous forum so would want to share that every night when I hit the bed I have a habit of chanting a mantra. Your post suddenly reminded me of this habit of mine.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thank You. I think that must be the habit of most of devout senior citizens.
    2. I presume you had enjoyed and reflected upon a snippet “SURRENDER TO DIVINE that was Maiden one posted during August ‘17 on JANMASHTAMI.
    REGARDS.
    God Bless Us All.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    fourthaugust likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

YOU kn ow what is the one thing humans inventd for their convenience but hate most? It is the queue. See anywhere, where a queue is supposed t be. Say a bus stand. It will be all orderly and disciplined until the bus comes. Then it will be chaos. I don't know whether it was Vasudeva or Narayana but despite being an atheist I am convinced that only divine intervention can make people stand in queue!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

:hello:Dear Humour Prince,
    Thanks for reading my post. I enjoyed and remained pensive with your humour at bus-stand.
    2. Unlike BEST bus-stops and terminus in Mumbai and to some extent at terminus in New Delhi, other parts of India one notice the scene you had described.
    3. Even Vasudevas and Narayanas would find it difficult to extricate from the crowd, alight or board the city buses in Chennai city as they make it a point to halt only few meters away from the stands or stops intention being to help the rich pick-pockets. probably they want to encourage women and men pick-pockets group comprising their family and kids and conductor-driver collaborate with them. festival time ubiquitous pick pockets all over city buses.
    4. Right now for Pongal Holidays. it is boo-time for ubiquitous pick-pockets in this city buses. I hope you have no occasion to travel in this city bus.
    Regards.

7. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Hahaha. So a commanding stature and a rich baritone are keys that can open many doors for you , especially where there are queues !

8. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Thyagarajan

The art of turning every situation in our favour! Good techniques! I will start practicing them along with the chantings. If not anything, active chanting improves focus and prevents mind from wandering.:)

HazelPup and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Thyagarajan,

As I mentioned to Balajee earlier, Chanting "Namo" might help get things done in India nowadays. People were standing in line to change their currency notes, then, in line to get their gas connection subsidy paid through the bank and then, now for Aadhar ID. Keeping people busy with their own affairs is the best way to rule the people without any attention to any political matters.

Viswa

Gauri03 and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Hahaha...no sir I am 32 years old . No I haven't gone through that snippet, will try to explore it soon.

Thyagarajan likes this.