1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spiky, whacky and ouch!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jaishvats, Nov 19, 2010.

1. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

My meetings with whacky things continue. Today when I was traveling in the bus, a group of three got into the bus. One was a girl probably in her twenties, a boy in his teens and a smaller boy probably around ten. I think they were siblings. The girl had her hair in short curls and it loosely hung around her shoulders in a wild manner. She had a metal piercing near her eyebrow.

Her teen brother looked like a character out of the movie Apocalypto dressed in a Tshirt and Jeans. His ears had piercing in three places. He wore a nose stud as well. Just like the girl there was a metal stud on his eyebrow. His hair was unsurprisingly weird and whacky combed upwards with a lot of gel. What truly disturbed me was a piercing on his lower lip. A sort of pin like thing jutted out from just below his lower lip straight and sharp almost half inch long. It kept moving up and down as he spoke. The very sight of it was very disturbing. When you see something struck to the face of someone you are conversing with, you would first want to tell them about it and get it cleared before anything they say enters your head. That’s a kind of human instinct. If I were to talk to that guy nothing that he said would enter my head. The wobbling of the metal pin would grab all my attention.

In Tamilnadu I have seen nomadic tribes called narikoravans piercing their nose and all. I some how got reminded of those characters on seeing this guy. He wore a beaded necklace as well.

Body piercing is an instant turn off when I see people. The impression I get is of immature irresponsible people indulging in unwanted craziness. I cannot think of them as well behaved persons but only as uncouth ill-mannered persons. To add to these impressions the trio was a bit noisy in an otherwise quiet bus. The ten year old fortunately did not have any piercing but the air about him and the way he was talking kind of indicated that he was happily following the older ones footsteps.

For all I know there definitely might be very sweet people out there amongst those with body piercings. But it’s very tough not to get these type of impressions about these modern-day narikkoravans.

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Jaishvats, when I see guys/gals with piercings at lips,eyebrows ; I dont know why but I cant help staring. Now I know staring at someone is too bad and I would kill a person if he/she stares at me long. So I have to really tear my eyes off them. Last time when I was at ariport saw a Rock gang in which a guy had long hair tied in a pony with his ears and nose pierced!!!

Olden times even gents used to wear big chains/necklaces, bangles, earrings etc. And I think guys are now going back to it. Fashion is always a cycle;)

3. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

ha...JV

the piercings in the lips and unsightly places gives me creeps. Seeing them , my 9year old son will mouth the word "gangster" and move away from them automatically:))

I wonder always...how they eat/drink with some foreign body in the lips/tongue...Yeeks!

4. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

I believe it could be a way of making a statement by the individual - rebel, faith, fashion, a specific purpose, experience, need to be part of something, searching for some identity.........whatever they are, I too agree with the fact that I find them very uncomfortable. I cringe looking at them.

@freethoughts - ouch! what a thought...

5. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Yeah, Ami rightly told - fashion goes in cycle :D

I am not at all comfortable with piercing of any other place than nose and ears. The of it makes me think, 'oh just for the sake of fashion these guys can take so much of pain (while piercing)' !! I ha ve a feeling that eyebrows, lips, naval areas must be too painful for piercing.

For that matter multiple piercing of ears also not very nice at times, though it demands attention !!

6. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

don't judge people because of their fashion. I use dot be like that. Then I took a class ( Philosophy-eastern) in a community college. Couple of my class mates had green, purple hair, tattoos and piercing. We all looked at them strangely. after couple of days, we all realized that those kids were not stupid or abnormal. Their knowledge of Eastern Philosophy ( especially Gita and Hinduism) were so good. They were very polite and nice kids. Then I changed my mind. so pleas edon't make up your mind like that.
    Few days back, went to a Desi Fashion show. Most of the women 45+ up dressed up so badly no back blouses and too thin saris. Everyone gave them respect beacause they are very wealthy. What do u say for that. Don't e have double standard? Let me know your opinion.

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Coffee Akka! I second your opinion! The article is judemental and profiling!Those who dress differently are not folks at all! Our nose is also not a nice place to pierce but do we get upset? No, why?..because we are used to it! I attended a Psychology class where I learnt that people who tend to be different are really very creative and very intelligent!
    Please try to accept diversity- if everyone in the world thought the same, dressed the same and ate the same wouldn't it be boring?

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

There was a mistake... I meant " Those who dress differntly arenot BAD folks at all!

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

AMi here I think you have said it all, to add to your, I think we all get attracted to something odd n weird thats why we stare and also I guess to get max stares[​IMG] is their motive for such weird doing.............

Jaish,
    You have done it again I wonder I didnt spot your blog thanks to IL newsletter I came to spot it....Your are wonderful narrator yaar:thumbsup

10. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

Dear Coffeelover and kkrish

Please see my last para "For all I know there definitely might be very sweet people out there amongst those with body piercings." I am not making judgements here...its just that the first impressions you get are different :)...Thanks for your fb :) And I agree...It would be boring if everyone dressed the same :)