1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Spice Grinder in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Nivedi, Jul 10, 2007.

1. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Yes,I did see a warning on the wire of Mr. Coffee coffee grinder. Although its cheap and have heard good reviews. I dont think I will be so diligent to wash hands after each use.I have just purchased Kitchen Aid and will know after use for long time. as for use till now it works amazingly. My chutneys are never better and my husband also loved it.

2. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Chocolate - Glad that you are able to make good chutneys.

ML - Kitchenaid has a sturdier motor than Mr.Coffee. The latter has to be handled gently. Kitchenaid had a detachable steel jar. So, it is easy to clean.

3. chocolate

Although i love to try new dishes,I am not a great cook. So I was really very happy when i tasted the chutney from this.I have a Hamilton beach blender and chutneys were not exactly done well and i was discouraged and avoided making them altogether.

Kitchen Aid makes some of the best kitchen appliances. Others are probably expensive. This was reasonable enough for me to buy. Although i would have preferred red or black one . I cud only get white.I didnt want to wait as i was eager to try it.Yes,its very easy to clean and grinds well too.I dont like to make chutneys or other masala in a big mixer or blender. I prefer them to make dosa ,idli batter.This for chutneys.

4. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Chocolate I have a hamilton beach blender too. I bought kitchen aid last friday. :)..Did u notice the "made in India " on it's tag ?
    I have tried griding dry powders and needless to say, I am impressed. I got a white one too. It matches my other appliances in kitchen. I wanted a black or red too, but for above said reason I am satisfied.

I read two instructions in it's book. It said avoid making peppercorns as it scratches the polycarbonate cover. What do you think about that ?

Also I am thinking about buying a small brush to clean the lid at it's corners.

The best thing I like about this grinder is that just press and grind. not more than 25 secs. That s max limit.

I havent tried chutneys. I am going to. Have you guys tried griding coconout in this, I mean putting the cut pieces and then grinding ? Does it work ?

Another instruction said, do not grind spices, if you are using it for coffee grinding.
    I am not going to use it for coffee beans, but just wanted to inform others who want to buy it.

I am going to make molaga podi in this next. (Idli kara podi as it s known popularly ).

5. chocolate

I am very impressed by it. I made chutneys with chana dal and it was done very well. After coming here i avoided making it as the blender didnt work well with chutneys and i forgot the taste of chutney with dosa or idli. Now using this it works well and i am elated and feel satisfied with a complete bf of idli chutney(sweet and coconut) or dosa chutney.
    Now coming to coconut grinding. U need to cut it into small pieces. Its a small price to pay for well done chutneys so i dont mind it. I am still in process of discovering how it works with different grinds and will post how it works with each if anything extra has to be done.

6. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I had one more query. Nivedi have you tried making vadas with it, urad dal batter I mean.. ?

7. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I could not wait to share this. I tried making vada with kitchen aid and I got what they call a perfect vada, crispy and did not consume oil.
    Also I tried making chutneys.
    A high five for the spice grinder...hehe

8. chocolate

Its really nice for chutneys. I was waiting to see Chutney dal and chana dal when i made 2 types of chutney in coffee grinder. Becoz thats what i got in the end in hamilton beach blender. Perfect chana dal and Chutney dal after grinding chutney for 2-3 min.Didnt someone with the same blender get similar results.Any other dish which comes out well from this. Any inputs.

9. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

MeenLoch - Glad to hear your vadais came out well. I make podis regularly - Idli molagai podi, Rasam and sambar podis, curry leaf podi, sesame podi etc. I noticed the Made in India tag when I purchased it. It is nice that we have a good product from our janmabhoomi.

10. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    My kithcen aid fellow users : IT continues to impress me, but I want to warn you for some mistakes.
    1. Dont try making juices or watery stuff, it just spills all around. In absence of my blender I tried mixing some water melons in this. It just came out from all sides. So no juices or too dilute stuff remember.

2. Few weeks back when i made dosa batter in my blender, I overloaded it and the motor failed. I had some more batter to be blended and I put the idli rava,water and urad daal in my spice grinder, in very small quantities. It started sending fumes from beneath. I stopped immediately. No damage occured. I thought it can grind chtuneys and vadas and why not this. But that was a bad decision.

Hamilton Beach has replaced my blender now. So do not overload your blender and as for dosa batter, even in emergency do not use kitchen aid.