1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Spice Grinder in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Nivedi, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Chocolate - I use a very basic Hamilton Beach blender. It works fine for idli batter. But I have not had luck with dosas.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nivedi.....

Just thought of giving you this tip....If you are able to grind urad dhal into a fine frothy paste, you can make dosas by using rice flour bought in the Indian stores. This saves time and the dosas are not bad at all. Try it.
    Proportion:
    For 1 cup urad (soaked and ground finely) :3 1/2 cups rice flour.
    Mix them both well adding some water to make a thick dosa batter. Add salt and a small dash of baking soda. Cover and leave it overnight to ferment and make dosas as usual.

L, Kamla

3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    You can try osterizer for idlis and dosas.
    I am using it for 3 years. I soak the dal and rice
    overnight. I keep the dal in fridge, thereby the mixie
    won`t heat up while grinding. Both dosas and idlies
    are coming good in osterizer.

4. rsa

rsa New IL'ite

I was about to write about "Osterizer", before that Viday has already shared the information. Thank you Vidya. Yes i have been using Osterizer for 3 yrs, i have no problems witht that blender, i have been using it for Idli, dosa, chutney, sambar powder, rasam powder, idli milagai powder, grating coconut etc etc. I bougth the blender for only $17.99 from Walmart. Still the blender is running fine.

For idli/ Dosa batter, soak the urad dal and keep it in fridge for 2-3 hrs and then grind. You will get nice fluffy idlies and sponge dosas for sure. Ratio for Idli/ Dosa batter
    Rice ----4 cups
    Urad dal ----1cup
    Fenugreek seeds ---- 1 tsp.Soak the seeds separtely.
    Wash them and soak atleast for 5 hrs. Then grind with ICE water (or you can use the urad dal water)and ferment for 8-9 hrs. The results are awesome. Keeping dal in fridge and grinding them with ice water is the most important thing.
    For urad dal vada (curd / rasam) soak Urad dal and keep it fridge and grind with ice water.

Happy cooking!!!

5. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Thanks Kamla, Vidhya and Rsa for your helpful tips.

6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

i saw that it the wire contains lead and is recommended to wash hands after that. its for the black one. Is there an alternative to this say like the red one. I am about to buy one and want to make the right decision.
    Thanks in advance.

7. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Wow,
    Loads of information here. I was looking for something to make spices too.
    Mr Coffee seems good. One can look for sales and get it even cheaper.

I have a big jar Hamilton beach blender. Combining that with spice grinder should suffice for most of cooking.

Does this mean I do not need the Indian Mixie at all ? Do you all ever miss Indian mixie ? I was thinking about buying one when I visit India, but all this make that unnecessary na !

Chocolate has opened a new concern. I would also like to know something about that.

I do not have a food processor, maybe I ll buy that next !!

Kamala thanks for the dosa batter idea. I buy Idli rava and make batter with that and urad dhaal in my blender. In 10 mins I have my dosa cum Idli batter ready. I ferment it for the night and I get fluffy idlis and roast dosas. d;i rava seems to be a great idea, when u dont have grinder etc.

Nivedhi, what do u do for vadas ? I make urad daal batter in hamilton beach blender, but the vada soaks up oil big time.....I have to use tissues to absorb tht ol after the vada is made...NAy suggestion by others in this regard will help me a greta deal. I am talking about ulundu vada

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  8. Marisa

Marisa New IL'ite

I have the Mr. Coffee coffee grinder as well and it's been extremely useful (I can select fine, medium or coarse). I even use it as a wet mixer for small quantities (no more than half of the cup, otherwise it overflows). I've had no luck with my regular blender for things that need very little liquid such as vadai (if I add enough water to grind the dal, it's impossible to shape the vadai), but if I'm patient I can do it little by little in the coffee grinder. It was very inexpensive as well.

9. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Meenloch,

I am very clumsy with kitchen appliances. So, I ended up buying the Kitchenaid Coffee Grinder. Here's a pic:

KitchenAid Coffee Grinder : Target

It is sturdy and costs $30. The jar is steel and is detachable and easy to clean, almost works like the small Sumeet attachment.

I do'nt make vadas at all because of husband's cholesterol issues. It is a long time.....I seem to have forgotten its taste. :drool

It seems to me that with the blender and coffee grinder all my requirements are met. The Indian mixer is not needed. For powders and chutneys the coffee grinder works well.

10. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

When i saw in walmart it mentioned the wire contains lead and each time after use shud wash hands. it also causes complications in pregnant women .I loved the grinder but i am scared of this warning.Any alternatives.I am looking for grinder with removable container.